5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque? Worth it?

Bas

Reaction score
I just test drove a Laramie with this engine; the sales person didn't seem to know too much about it. I know how to drive a car and that is about it; so should I cough up the 2200 or so or is it not worth it? In the near future we are planning on getting a 25 - 30 foot trailer and I think this might help when starting to drive. Thanks for any insights.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far I like it. Been getting 17.6 MPG on my drive back and forth to work which is 14 miles of stop and go traffic. I was around 13 MPG in my old Ram. It seems to have a little more punch off the line too but its not a drastic difference.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a lot of data yet but you could always wait for the diesel too

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do it if towing were important.

I have it and like it for the stop/start. For most people it's probably not worth the upcharge. There are a few existing threads you may want to look over that will give you the info your looking for.

Bas

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I read in some articles it was a $1400 upgrade but the sticker shows a whopping $2645, so that is a lot

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want the standard v6 with eTorque there is no extra charge. If you want the v8 non eTorque it’s $1195. If you want the v8 with eTorque it’s $2645.

So the v8 eTorque is $1450 more than the v8 non eTorque.

Wouldnt recommend the v6 for towing a 25-30ft camper so you will probably get the v8. Then you need to decide which v8 to buy (eTorque $2645 OR non eTorque $1195).

Bas

Reaction score
If you want the standard v6 with eTorque there is no extra charge. If you want the v8 non eTorque it’s $1195. If you want the v8 with eTorque it’s $2645.

So the v8 eTorque is $1450 more than the v8 non eTorque.
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the Laramie trim and the v6 is not even an option, I missed that.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just test drove a Laramie with this engine; the sales person didn't seem to know too much about it. I know how to drive a car and that is about it; so should I cough up the 2200 or so or is it not worth it? In the near future we are planning on getting a 25 - 30 foot trailer and I think this might help when starting to drive. Thanks for any insights.

Read these two articles, one at Truck Trend (more technical info), one at Motor Trend (more driver impressions, and "Real MPG" numbers). The folks at Motor Trend really liked the new 3.6 L eTorque truck, but basically said it feels a bit underpowered. Also, note that Motor Trend's "Real MPG" puts the 5.7 L eTorque easily at the top of the heap in terms of real-world fuel economy for the 2019 Ram 1500s. Embedded in the Motor Trend article there is a link to the page that explains everything about Real MPG testing.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1809-first-drive-2019-ram-1500-etorque-mild-hybrid/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram...0-big-horn-4x4-v-6-etorque-first-test-review/

Also this Kentucky-to-Chicago trip by PickupTrucks.com which gives their real-world fuel economy & driving impressions:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/2019-ram-1500-etorque-v-6-real-world-fuel-economy.html#more

As for me, I have given up on waiting for the Gen-2 Ecodiesel, so I was trying to decide between 3.6 L V6 eTorque vs regular 5.7 L Hemi vs eTorque Hemi. After reading Motor Trend's Real MPG results and their driving impressions of the 3.6 L eTorque, I'm 90 % certain it'll be the 5.7 L eTorque for me (as soon as the 6'4" Ram Box is available and the AC issue is for certain solved).

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From everything I read there is no extra "boost" off the time and no HP increase etc. Its just for saving gas

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read these two articles, one at Truck Trend (more technical info), one at Motor Trend (more driver impressions, and "Real MPG" numbers). The folks at Motor Trend really liked the new 3.6 L eTorque truck, but basically said it feels a bit underpowered. Also, note that Motor Trend's "Real MPG" puts the 5.7 L eTorque easily at the top of the heap in terms of real-world fuel economy for the 2019 Ram 1500s. Embedded in the Motor Trend article there is a link to the page that explains everything about Real MPG testing.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1809-first-drive-2019-ram-1500-etorque-mild-hybrid/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram...0-big-horn-4x4-v-6-etorque-first-test-review/

Also this Kentucky-to-Chicago trip by PickupTrucks.com which gives their real-world fuel economy & driving impressions:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/2019-ram-1500-etorque-v-6-real-world-fuel-economy.html#more

As for me, I have given up on waiting for the Gen-2 Ecodiesel, so I was trying to decide between 3.6 L V6 eTorque vs regular 5.7 L Hemi vs eTorque Hemi. After reading Motor Trend's Real MPG results and their driving impressions of the 3.6 L eTorque, I'm 90 % certain it'll be the 5.7 L eTorque for me (as soon as the 6'4" Ram Box is available and the AC issue is for certain solved).
Hadn’t seen the Truck Trend article. Very informative breakdown of the six driving modes where eTorque is engaged.

One thing I didn’t see, that other Ram engineers had talked about previously, is where eTorque can add torque at cruising speed to keep Eco mode engaged longer. No mention of that in what was otherwise the best description of how eTorque works I have seen so far.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been figured out before, but I like analyzing the cost to make decisions and think it applies here (just posted in another thread as well):

Regarding whether eTorque is worth adding, based on US numbers, it will take just under 80,000 miles to break even for the extra $1450 cost.

Assumptions: Gas is $3 / gal, eTorque takes you from 17 to 19 mpg combined.
Break even point equation, change assumptions as desired to investigate other use cases:
Initial + driving costs w/o eTorque = Initial + driving costs w/ eTorque
$0+($3/gal * 1 gal/17 mi * z mi) = $1450 + ($3/gal * 1 gal/19 mi * z mi)
Solve for z... z=78,058 miles

As gas gets more expensive (eg $4/gal), if eTorque improves your mileage more (eg 17 to 20 mpg), or if your base mileage is worse (eg 14 to 16 mpg) then this break even point drops lower so the upgrade makes more sense.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From everything I read there is no extra "boost" off the time and no HP increase etc. Its just for saving gas
Yes, I started saying that a couple of months ago based on everything I had seen. For the most part it’s true other than a boost for 1/2 tire rotation off the line. No better zero to sixty times either.

Another rumor was that eTorque would help while towing since there was one configuration with eTorque that gets the max tow rating. Turns out that the max tow rating was increased by a special heavy duty rear axle, and having nothing to do with eTorque. All other configurations have a slightly reduced tow rating with the eTorque. As you can see from these articles, there’s no mention of eTorque helping for towing.

So it’s basically for mileage and smoothness which are good things but not all I hoped it would be.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the Laramie trim and the v6 is not even an option, I missed that.
The V6 is the base engine for all trims, ignore the B&P tool, it's riddled with errors.

anthtony

Reaction score
For those with e-torque -- what do you think about how the auto start/stop works? How seamless is it? I have a bmw with auto start/stop and I always leave it off....I find it more of an annoyance than anything. It sounds like Ram has made some pretty significant improvements with stop/start with the new system. Check out this youtube review. Specifically at the time 15:50, where he talks about auto stop/start.

Bas

Reaction score
This has been figured out before, but I like analyzing the cost to make decisions and think it applies here (just posted in another thread as well):

Regarding whether eTorque is worth adding, based on US numbers, it will take just under 80,000 miles to break even for the extra $1450 cost.

Assumptions: Gas is $3 / gal, eTorque takes you from 17 to 19 mpg combined.
Break even point equation, change assumptions as desired to investigate other use cases:
Initial + driving costs w/o eTorque = Initial + driving costs w/ eTorque
$0+($3/gal * 1 gal/17 mi * z mi) = $1450 + ($3/gal * 1 gal/19 mi * z mi)
Solve for z... z=78,058 miles

As gas gets more expensive (eg $4/gal), if eTorque improves your mileage more (eg 17 to 20 mpg), or if your base mileage is worse (eg 14 to 16 mpg) then this break even point drops lower so the upgrade makes more sense.
Too funny, I just calculated that myself and was going to post it. So if my wife drives it we will get to the break even point in 4 years, for me in about 8. And there is something to be said for the remark my trucker brother in law had, 'just another expensive part that can break'. Then again, he is very old school.

Bas

Reaction score
For those with e-torque -- what do you think about how the auto start/stop works? How seamless is it? I have a bmw with auto start/stop and I always leave it off....I find it more of an annoyance than anything. It sounds like Ram has made some pretty significant improvements with stop/start with the new system. Check out this youtube review. Specifically at the time 15:50, where he talks about auto stop/start.

I didn't notice it at all during my test drive, versus the traditional where you feel the car start. Drive some friends car that had it and also had it turned off for the same reason

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too funny, I just calculated that myself and was going to post it. So if my wife drives it we will get to the break even point in 4 years, for me in about 8. And there is something to be said for the remark my trucker brother in law had, 'just another expensive part that can break'. Then again, he is very old school.
Well then my fellow nerd @Bas you can figure it out for our Canadian friends using liters per 100 kilometers and CD$ per liter. (y):unsure::D:coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread