5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Ownership

Phiefer

Reaction score
I've had my Laramie for a couple of weeks now and noticed the auto stop/start kick in at a stop light but reengage the engine before releasing the break. This has happened a few times. I haven't done any research yet but wondering if it was due to a low battery charge? The AC seemed to be working fine when the engine kicked back on though.
This is normal. Both my Ram and Ford do this when certain parameters require it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Much appreciated!

Same for a Prius. If the hybrid battery is below a certain percentage of charge, the gas engine automatically kicks in to recharge the hybrid battery.

One nuance, though, is to keep your foot fairly firmly on the brake at stoplights. At least in the Prius, if you apply the brake pedal just barely enough to keep the car from moving, it will begin to bleed energy from the hybrid battery to slightly energize the hybrid electric motor, because (a) it thinks you're about to take off and it's anticipating that, or (b) to keep the vehicle from rolling backward if there is any incline upward. So when your truck is stopped, keep you foot firmly on the brake, so the vehicle knows for certain you are not about to take off, or that it doesn't need to apply energy to the electric motor to avoid rolling backwards (not sure if the Ram even does the roll-back sensing or not, but a Prius certainly does).

It's a very subtle line between full friction brake with no electric motor assist, and the electric motor kicking in slightly and bleeding off from the hybrid battery. The graphics display in the Prius makes this very easy to see, but the complete lack of hybrid system feedback info on the 2019 Ram 1500 makes that impossible to know (without experience with another hybrid vehicle like the Prius that illustrates it for the driver).

gatorhwk

Reaction score
Same for a Prius. If the hybrid battery is below a certain percentage of charge, the gas engine automatically kicks in to recharge the hybrid battery.

One nuance, though, is to keep your foot fairly firmly on the brake at stoplights. At least in the Prius, if you apply the brake pedal just barely enough to keep the car from moving, it will begin to bleed energy from the hybrid battery to slightly energize the hybrid electric motor, because (a) it thinks you're about to take off and it's anticipating that, or (b) to keep the vehicle from rolling backward if there is any incline upward. So when your truck is stopped, keep you foot firmly on the brake, so the vehicle knows for certain you are not about to take off, or that it doesn't need to apply energy to the electric motor to avoid rolling backwards (not sure if the Ram even does the roll-back sensing or not, but a Prius certainly does).

It's a very subtle line between full friction brake with no electric motor assist, and the electric motor kicking in slightly and bleeding off from the hybrid battery. The graphics display in the Prius makes this very easy to see, but the complete lack of hybrid system feedback info on the 2019 Ram 1500 makes that impossible to know (without experience with another hybrid vehicle like the Prius that illustrates it for the driver).

Yep ... this is the first thing I thought off the first time it happened. One of those, "I'm pressing the brake, right?" moments. ;-)

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an etorque with 3.92’s. Took delivery in September. I just turned 4,000 miles. Perfect so far. The etorque really helps with the stop start function. It makes it almost unnoticeable. I’ve driven other cars that shake and shimmy at every red light and we’re unbearable.
I also notice it being more peppy. From what I’ve read and understanding some of the things it does on up shifts and downshifts really make a difference. My last truck was a 5.7 heminwith 3.92 gears and didn’t feel as quick. There is no hesitation on downshifts and the truck is super smooth. The 8 speed helps out a lot too (last truck was 5 speed auto). Not sure if it helps much with mileage. My lift and tires didn’t help though either.

kjn86

Reaction score
I've had my Laramie for a couple of weeks now and noticed the auto stop/start kick in at a stop light but reengage the engine before releasing the break. This has happened a few times. I haven't done any research yet but wondering if it was due to a low battery charge? The AC seemed to be working fine when the engine kicked back on though.

This will also happen if you increase the AC or the heat temperature or blower directly or if you are running the AC and the interior gets too hot. As you may not have noticed because you got your truck after summer, it will go to auto stop when the AC is on but the air coming out isn't cooled, just a fan. Then when the engine kicks back on, you get the cold air. If you are sitting idle in the heat, the auto stop will disengage for this reason as it assumes the fan isn't enough to keep you cooled.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to take this to the next level, try it in a vehicle where the brakes have a "HOLD" feature. If you have come to a stop with the brake (engine shuts off), and let up a bit to maybe change foot position slightly and push firmly again for a possible engine start, the HOLD feature locks the brakes. You can take your feet off the pedals at that point. Then you get the fun of the actual engine start and feeding in enough power to release the hold.

I mean, why make driving 'easy' when you can load up with 'features'. :geek:

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This will also happen if you increase the AC or the heat temperature or blower directly or if you are running the AC and the interior gets too hot. As you may not have noticed because you got your truck after summer, it will go to auto stop when the AC is on but the air coming out isn't cooled, just a fan. Then when the engine kicks back on, you get the cold air. If you are sitting idle in the heat, the auto stop will disengage for this reason as it assumes the fan isn't enough to keep you cooled.

Similarly, in most hybrids, if it is really cold outside and you have cabin heat set to max and the cabin is not yet up to temperature, the engine will stay on (or turn on) in order to generate more heat for the cabin.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from running errands all day in the new truck (my new baby is now covered in a layer of ice). The eTorque behavior is really easy to get used to. Having come from another vehicle with Stop/Start, this implementation is soooo much superior to what Mercedes Benz had come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread