5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque Issue

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Mark. My issue turned out to be a bad battery. That was replaced yesterday and everything was fine until I got in it just now and at 3489 miles I am getting errors to service my 4x4 system as well as the electronic stability control. I have to get it towed to the dealer for review. I called FCA today also to let them know about my issues. Hopefully we can get it resolved. But it sure has been a lot of trouble thus far. I haven't even had my truck 90 days and I've been stranded twice.
Had a 19 lemon, now a 21 that had electrical issues starting at 8000 miles. After 4 visits to the dealer I was ****, told them I didn’t want it back till it was fix, guess what they fixed it by noon that day, so far so good🤞 Anyway, I had 6 warning lights on the dash, same lights as you and it was broken wires behind the mud flap area where the wiring harness go into the engine compartment on the drivers side! My dealer said they have seen several others, broken in the same place🤷🏻‍♂️ Might have your dealer check that?

speideljunkmail

Reaction score
What part did they say is defective? The generator/alternator assembly? That's about the only part I can think of that could fail other than the battery pack behind the seat. I just looked up the E-Torque unit on the engine, p/n 68438054AE and it shows my local dealer has in stock, list price is around $1300. Something doesn't seem right.
Yes. that's the part. 68438054AE. You're right that the Chrysler FCA part lookup website is showing some availability in some locations despite Chrysler saying there is no availability in the US. My local shop has told me when they call around to parts shops they're being told that inventory is already sold to another customer and its just an inventory glitch that its showing.
Maybe I need to start calling places to try to buy the part myself.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I've had two Rams over four years with eTorque and both have been butter smooth. Sounds like there is something wrong with your truck. Going forward all trucks are going to be using this sort of technology.
I'm glad that you haven't had any issues. My buddy and I bought these 2022s together and we both dislike this system. I don't understand why Ram is forcing this system even though there is no mpg benefits. We love everything else about this truck but we will look elsewhere unless Ram offers non etorque as an option.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I'm glad that you haven't had any issues. My buddy and I bought these 2022s together and we both dislike this system. I don't understand why Ram is forcing this system even though there is no mpg benefits. We love everything else about this truck but we will look elsewhere unless Ram offers non etorque as an option.
EPA mpg benefits are all that matter to Dodge and eTorque does improve the rated mileage

5.7L HEMI® V8 Engine: 15 mpg city/22 mpg highway
5.7L HEMI® V8 Engine with eTorque: 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
EPA mpg benefits are all that matter to Dodge and eTorque does improve the rated mileage

5.7L HEMI® V8 Engine: 15 mpg city/22 mpg highway
5.7L HEMI® V8 Engine with eTorque: 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway
Any idea of real world results of hemi with and without etorque?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one such post:

HemiDude

Reaction score
Any idea of real world results of hemi with and without etorque?
Having owned both an etorque and non-e in the last 2 years, I can say the real world difference has been negligible. If you are driving in town with the a/c on the AS/S doesn't even kick on, and there is no mpg difference on the highway. I don't dislike the ET system but, given a choice, I would not purchase one again (of course Ram has removed that choice from the 5.7s).

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Having owned both an etorque and non-e in the last 2 years, I can say the real world difference has been negligible. If you are driving in town with the a/c on the AS/S doesn't even kick on, and there is no mpg difference on the highway. I don't dislike the ET system but, given a choice, I would not purchase one again (of course Ram has removed that choice from the 5.7s).
eTorque adds a bunch of complication for minimal benefit to the consumer. Plus it's more likely to have reliability issues and will certainly be horrendously expensive to repair when out of warranty.

In the future I'm sure there will be a huge thread for how to convert eTorque back to a standard alternator with all the parts and programming needed.

Dewey

Reaction score
eTorque adds a bunch of complication for minimal benefit to the consumer. Plus it's more likely to have reliability issues and will certainly be horrendously expensive to repair when out of warranty.

In the future I'm sure there will be a huge thread for how to convert eTorque back to a standard alternator with all the parts and programming needed.
Now there’s a mod I’d be interested in. Give me my damn alternator back.🤨

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coincidentally, the service manager at my local dealer called who agrees this system has issues called to read me an August bulletin stating the rolling shutdown is how it is designed and saves fuel economy etc. Its Star S2209000005 if anyone has access to that.

I get THAT behavior is normal but it’s the surging/jumping when it restarts that is not correct. So far I haven’t bumped into anything but jeez, seems like that is just a matter of time. That doesn’t take into consideration the rough take offs that just seem to go along with the new system. @RamCares asked me to reach out via private messages which i did but we have not connected up yet

Dewey

Reaction score
Mine doesn’t shut off till the speedo says zero but I still don’t like the stop/start system so have it turned off most of the time.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats odd yours behaves that way @Dewey. Prior to 2022 that is how eTorque behaved but they "updated" the system to shut down around 3mph as the truck rolls to a stop. I dont mine the shutting off rolling to a stop. It is the startup and surge ahead at the wrong time I do not like

GaryT

Reaction score
6 weeks ago the eTorque system failed on my 2019 Ram 1500 at 64,000 miles. My local Chrysler Ram dealer/shop took it into their shop a month ago. They (and I) escalated the issue to Chrysler who updated me last week that they "have successfully negotiated a contract to purchase the raw materials needed to manufacture the eTorque replacement part but no time frame is currently available". They've told me to rent a car in the mean time and my case manager should approve the expense.

Anyone else experiencing this? Thankfully, its technically still under warrantee, but I have no idea what else I can do about this!
My generator is working but makes some horrible noises so I have one ordered. Eating the expense since the warranty on this system ends at 80k and I am at 88k. Steve White Parts showed it in stock, $1093 including shipping and the $75 core. Not ideal to be spending this on a 3 year old truck.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
My generator is working but makes some horrible noises so I have one ordered. Eating the expense since the warranty on this system ends at 80k and I am at 88k. Steve White Parts showed it in stock, $1093 including shipping and the $75 core. Not ideal to be spending this on a 3 year old truck.
Especially when a new Mopar "regular" alternator is 1/3 the price and a remanufactured is $125.

It's also telling that even though the DT has been on the market for 4+ years, Rock Auto doesn't carry the eTorque alternator.

GaryT

Reaction score
Especially when a new Mopar "regular" alternator is 1/3 the price and a remanufactured is $125.

It's also telling that even though the DT has been on the market for 4+ years, Rock Auto doesn't carry the eTorque alternator.
It gets worse. The eTorque generator is on nationwide backorder with no ETA, so my truck is out of service for who knows how long. It's absurd that a part that costs as much as this can fail right outside the warranty window, but not being able to source a replacement is not sitting well with me.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
It gets worse. The eTorque generator is on nationwide backorder with no ETA, so my truck is out of service for who knows how long. It's absurd that a part that costs as much as this can fail right outside the warranty window, but not being able to source a replacement is not sitting well with me.
Not to mention the 48v battery pack which is like $1800.

BowDown

Reaction score

Most of my local dealers have them in stock and for ~$900

These parts are also under warranty for 8 years so I don't really know what all the crying is about and if you read the "I bought the extended warranty" thread, it makes even less sense

speideljunkmail

Reaction score
Thanks to you Ctmaz68, I called the dealership and RAM FCA and told them there was a part showing in stock. The response was, "there are always inventory problems showing stock when there is none" to which I replied, "well, why not at least call the supplier and ask if they have it?" 2 days later I got an update saying no change in my order status and then at 7 a.m. the following morning I got a call telling me the truck was ready for pickup.

They tried sticking me with a $2500 repair bill but I waived the warrantee and they cut it to $709 claiming the eTorque tensioner and the serpentine belts they replaced while replacing the faulty eTorque system weren't covered under the warrantee.

Users who are viewing this thread