5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESC nearly killed me !

TKC432

Reaction score
Had tires rotated yesterday. 35" tires and a 3.5" lift on the truck. Anyway while on the freeway going into a banked turn at high speed as usual the ESC activated and applied brake to the right wheel which jerked the truck hard right into the other lane. Nobody was in the lane and I was able to regain control of the truck quick enough to avoid hitting the guard rail. Needless to say this 'safety feature '. Is far from safe ! Reading through the forums I see there is a lot of similar issues with these trucks and the ESC nanny crap. I can't afford to have a mechanic chase this wild goose and the warranty is up. Hit 60k miles last week. Naturally I see some people opt to pop the ABS fuse and eliminate all the nanny stuff. Is there any other option ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just turn it off. It's right in your radio.

But yes it's extremely dangerous I almost got into 2 different accidents because of it, one was on the highway in the passing lane going dead straight and it locked up and I had to slam on the gas and almost got rear ended.

Also activates in the city of someone in front of you is turning and it thinks you are going to hit a car that is no longer there.

As far as I know it causes all wheels to brake, so if you lost control that's because you were not expecting it or are poor driver it doesn't just trigger random brakes on 1 wheel.

Also having a mechanic properly calibrate your truck is not "chasing" am issue. You got a lift and larger tires. You need to get your safety systems recalibrated. How do you think any of the cameras and sensors work? Even when you get a windshield replaced they are suppose to be recalibrated.

Hate the truck for problems it has, not problems you created yourself by not knowing what you are doing with it.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

But yes it's extremely dangerous I almost got into 2 different accidents because of it, one was on the highway in the passing lane going dead straight and it locked up and I had to slam on the gas and almost got rear ended.

Also activates in the city of someone in front of you is turning and it thinks you are going to hit a car that is no longer there.

As far as I know it causes all wheels to brake, so if you lost control that's because you were not expecting it or are poor driver it doesn't just trigger random brakes on 1 wheel.

Also having a mechanic properly calibrate your truck is not "chasing" am issue. You got a lift and larger tires. You need to get your safety systems recalibrated. How do you think any of the cameras and sensors work? Even when you get a windshield replaced they are suppose to be recalibrated.

Hate the truck for problems it has, not problems you created yourself by not knowing what you are doing with it.

The OP is talking about ESC, not FCW.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You are talking brake assist, not ESP

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had tires rotated yesterday. 35" tires and a 3.5" lift on the truck. Anyway while on the freeway going into a banked turn at high speed as usual the ESC activated and applied brake to the right wheel which jerked the truck hard right into the other lane. Nobody was in the lane and I was able to regain control of the truck quick enough to avoid hitting the guard rail. Needless to say this 'safety feature '. Is far from safe ! Reading through the forums I see there is a lot of similar issues with these trucks and the ESC nanny crap. I can't afford to have a mechanic chase this wild goose and the warranty is up. Hit 60k miles last week. Naturally I see some people opt to pop the ABS fuse and eliminate all the nanny stuff. Is there any other option ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you have the computer adjusted for the larger tires? How much body roll does the truck have?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is not ESP a form of brake assist?
I fail to see how that could make OP almost "hit a guard rail" on the highway unless he was going to smash into it anyways.
ESC- electronic stability control. It automatically applies braking to individual wheels when it feels the vehicle is swaying too much, in a skid, etc.
FCW is what you described happening to you. I have mine set to warning only for reasons similar to yours with my aggressive driving habits- following a car that is turning right into a shopping plaza, I know that his *** end will be clear so I don’t have to slow down much (and can speed up sooner than most conservative drivers would), but FCW waits until the entire profile of the vehicle is clear from its path otherwise it doesn’t think you are going to react to the vehicle slowing down.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is not ESP a form of brake assist?
I fail to see how that could make OP almost "hit a guard rail" on the highway unless he was going to smash into it anyways.
If it senses too much body roll, or too much differential in wheel speeds side to side, it will apply the brake to appropriate wheel to try and counter a skid. If he did.not reprogram for different tire diameter, and was taking the ramp aggressively, the computer could interpret the signals incorrectly and apply the brake to one wheel. Which if you are in control of the vehicle, and not ready for it, and throw you one way or another depending on which brake was applied.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The differential in wheel speeds side to side would be the same for 31" tires and 35" tires. 35" tires would just have less impulses per revolution.

U

User_3336

When I turn off traction control, it seems to disable ESC and FCW. 2 icons come on. One is the truck and a little curvy road icom (traction control), and another shows the two wheels, a line on top, and a collision icon.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I turn off traction control, it seems to disable ESC and FCW. 2 icons come on. One is the truck and a little curvy road icom (traction control), and another shows the two wheels, a line on top, and a collision icon.
Traction control, TCS and Stability control, ESC, are two different systems. When you hit the traction control button, it reduces traction control, but ESP is still active.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score

Purchase the MOPAR EXTENDED WARRANTY. Ours has paid for itself 4 times over already.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Purchase the MOPAR EXTENDED WARRANTY. Ours has paid for itself 4 times over already.
Not sure what a warranty has to do with this predicament. OP lifted his truck and put on much bigger tires without configuring the truck for those changes. This is not a 1990 truck with no computers, stability control etc.

Users who are viewing this thread