5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is interesting. I thought for sure this was an eTorque issue. Everyone should report to NHSTA as it is a safety issue:

Definitely an eTorque issue.

There hasn’t been anyone without it reporting an engine stall/shut off yet.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huh? There are several in this thread alone.

Your right looks like potentially 2 people with non-eTorque have reported it.

Bstoddart55 said it shut off while turning and Anthonyklenk didn’t specify when his truck shut off but had the PDC replaced.

49 people with eTorque have reported engine shut off

Other unrelated non-eTorque issues:

3 - died backing up
1 - 3.0L fuel pump
2 - shifter warnings

Also Eric9621 said he gets an Auto Start/Stop error message but has no eTorque which doesn’t make sense. So might be #50 right there

CDP110

Reaction score
This is interesting. I thought for sure this was an eTorque issue. Everyone should report to NHSTA as it is a safety issue:

Yes I can’t believe this. I don’t want to bring to dealership cause they will just start ripping and tearing into it not knowing Wht to fix. I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t tell me to shift to park when I’m in congested area. Don’t want to get rear ended

picatinny

Reaction score
Your right looks like potentially 2 people with non-eTorque have reported it.

Bstoddart55 said it shut off while turning and Anthonyklenk didn’t specify when his truck shut off but had the PDC replaced.

49 people with eTorque have reported engine shut off

Other unrelated non-eTorque issues:

3 - died backing up
1 - 3.0L fuel pump
2 - shifter warnings

Also Eric9621 said he gets an Auto Start/Stop error message but has no eTorque which doesn’t make sense. So might be #50 right there

Add me to the list for a NON-eTorque! 2021 1500 Laramie w/ 3000mi. Three right hand turn issues where truck bogged with total loss of power but recovered. One right hand turn immediately stopping at a traffic light, all sorts of chimes and read out's on dash to shift into park before restating. Restarted and drove without further issue.....No codes stored. I have not attempted a dealer appointment yet since reading about all the ones that don't know what to do with this problem.

Steve's Longhorn

Reaction score
2022, etorque, 2200km.
First stall.
No CEL, no codes. Dealer unable to duplicate initially.
I request that they drive it home.
It stalled on them the following day, the only code was for the hood switch circuit.
It ran perfect when I picked it up.
Later on in the evening it stalled again.
I found that battery voltage varried between 12.9 and 13.2. on the cluster when it happened the first time.
Going back to the dealer tomorrow.
I have video to support my complaint of when the truck is acting up. Voltage much lower this evening.
Under 12 volts, no charge warnings, but CEL was on. Eventually the charge warning indicater turned on at 11.7 volts.
Still disappointed given the value of the truck. I traded in a 2020, never an issue while I had it. Had a 2019 too with no issues either.

Tinshield

Reaction score
This has still only happened to me once at 300 miles. So weird.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Does anyone else have an issue when stopped at a light. The truck feels like it's shaking like the engine wants to sputter to a stop? But the auto off/on its activated

Reaction score
Yes I can’t believe this. I don’t want to bring to dealership cause they will just start ripping and tearing into it not knowing Wht to fix. I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t tell me to shift to park when I’m in congested area. Don’t want to get rear ended
They can’t touch it unless they get a code and permission from FCA. They can’t even try to self-diagnose the issue. My advice is to document everything and develop a working relationship with your service manager. Request that they open a Star case every time you bring it in for this issue. Make sure you obtain that number for your records to make sure they opened the case. If the issue continues, contact FCA directly to open a case due to the safety concerns. Report the issue to NHTSA. This process doesn’t remove your frustration but will hopefully provide a resolution.

Reactions: c3k

Tinshield

Reaction score
Quite a few cases have been reported to NHTSA which will hopefully add pressure to resolve.

Steve's Longhorn

Reaction score
I heard back from the dealer today. The Technician is checking connections on the etorque system. Apparently the person he is working with at engineering has known of several instances, but there isn't a confirmed issue as to the cause or fix as yet.
In my case I think it isn't so much as a stall, but a failure to restart after shutting down for a stop. I'm pretty sure the low battery voltage is causing the problems in restarts and causing other issues in the internal communications of the trucks different computers. I'll post updates as I know .
Regards to all

hbt76

Reaction score
This has happened to my truck multiple times. Brought in into the dealership and get the same run around as everyone else. They even have told me that they checked and no one else has reported this issue. I told them all they have to do is google it.

Today when it happened I almost got t-boned because it died, I had to put it into park to restart, and even then when I started and gassed it, it almost died again. The truck that almost hit me had to lock up his brakes and swerve to miss me. This is beyond an inconvenience. I have reported it to NHTSA. Don't know what else to do but get rid of this truck, but then I am just sticking someone else with the problem when they resell it. Ram obviously doesn't care since they keep allowing so many people to drive these trucks with such a big safety issue.

As I read this thread, all I can think of is the scene in fight club when he is talking about his job as a recall investigator:
--------------------------------------------
Edward Norton: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Woman on Plane : Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Edward Norton: You wouldn't believe.

Woman on Plane : Which car company do you work for?

Edward Norton: A major one.
--------------------------------------------
I think we all know now who he works for and that X must still be less than the cost of a recall.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Back in 2006, a motorcycle I owned had a defect that the manufacturer was mostly ignoring or attempting bandaid type solutions. I noticed a thread like this on a motorcycle forum where guys were encouraging everyone with the problem to file a claim with the NHTSA. I filed a claim and when I did, I looked to see how many similar claims had been filed...just 3. I got back on that forum and tried to encourage more guys to follow through. After that, a bunch more claims were filed. Another member thought we should try to bring additional pressure to the manufacturer by filing claims with the CPSC. That ended up being the best solution. A bunch of us filed complaints and nearly every one of us was contacted by the CPSC. The majority of us were asked if they could send an investigator out for an in person interview. The investigator spent about 30 minutes with me, asking very detailed questions. He informed me that they had a significant amount of complaints about this specific issue. About a month later, the manufacturer issued a recall for the defective part.

Hopefully this is an issue that the CPSC will investigate. If so, it would be helpful if anyone has video footage of this problem. Also, give the investigator a link to this thread and any other related threads. The more data they get, the greater chance of a resolution.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has happened to my truck multiple times. Brought in into the dealership and get the same run around as everyone else. They even have told me that they checked and no one else has reported this issue.

If no reports, there wouldn’t be a TSB

32E5AD0A-6629-41DF-8125-5ABC032F6E09.png
35F3142C-2306-438C-B1FC-1763BE45E9C9.png

Tinshield

Reaction score
Someone should make this a recall, not just a TSB
Hopefully more will report to NHTSA which will add pressure for a recall. The recall needs to be accompanied by a known fix though.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread