5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The lack of engine code, error code or whatever is just crazy for this type of vehicle especially with the eTorque. I always thought it was weird that more information was not presented to the driver regarding this system. My refrigerator offers more diagnostic data than this...

I'm also surprised no one has come up with an after market gadget to monitor or maybe even tweak the eTorque system.
There should be logs for any computerized system, especially tech this advanced. No reason we should be relying on a CEL dummy light.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
16 lights? i'd turn the system off in that case. actually for even less than that...push the button. you aren't saving much fuel over letting it idle at the lights

ram813ltd

Reaction score
if your trucks throw any lights or messages on the clusters when anything like that happens grab your phone and take a photo of it. dealer can't deny it didn't happen. they may not duplicate it but i'm 99.999% sure the codes are stored in memory.

LV426

Reaction score
16 lights? i'd turn the system off in that case. actually for even less than that...push the button. you aren't saving much fuel over letting it idle at the lights
Its my understating that this is what the system was intended for, I have no complaints but I absolutely realize its not for everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_155100n.jpg
    IMG_20210422_155100n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 72

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
Update.

Just got my truck back last night 12-22-21 and is in "perfect" running condition.

Seems as if the PDC was the actual problem.

only took 23 days at the dealership...

Pedro.Rebel

Reaction score
Update.

Just got my truck back last night 12-22-21 and is in "perfect" running condition.

Seems as if the PDC was the actual problem.

only took 23 days at the dealership...

I hope that fixes your truck. They also replaced the PDC on mine and after a week I had to take it back after it stalled again.

Gflo79

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A month ago I was driving in traffic at very low speed, pretty much bumper to bumper.

Suddenly the truck engine shuts off and the hazard lights came on by it self. I was not able to get it restarted immediately. All entertainment and lights were still working. there are no warning lights or anything. At the moment I thought it was my car sensor dirty that caused a emergency break, but it was clear and clean. After a couple of try the car restarted up and i was able to drive off.

Brought it to the dealership, they said there was no error code or anything so they are not able to help out. Called Ram Canada, wasnt able to get any help also..

Any chance anyone else has experienced this? or any other trouble shooting I can do to narrow down. This had never happened again since.

Ram 1500 Big Horn 2019 5.7
I had a very simular issue yesterday. But my hazzards did not come on. It shut the engine down, stayed in drive as it was now coasting at 20 mph and slowing, and then it engaged the emergency break at @10mph and shifted to park while throwing me and other object forward violently and injuring my wrist and arm.
I reported this to NHTSA today since the dealership says nothing is wrong... but my arm and wrist say different. Just lucky I was alone at the time. Car behind me almost hit me as they swerved around honking like I was an idiot.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
So, my 2022 Ram 1500 Sport GT with etorque with auto start/stop.
Just happened today l.
Was slowing down to turn left, truck turned off, engaged park brake and took the attempts to turn back on. Icy roads, luckily I didn't get hit.
Check engine light on. Now super nervous about driving it. As it's icy and -40 Celsius up in Canada, and don't want to be stranded or rear ended like a sitting duck.

UPDATE: This is was the Ram app says is the malfunction. EOBD/Injection system failure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-181407.png
    Screenshot_20211228-181407.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Bigdumps

Reaction score
So after a further diagnostic, and speaking with the shop foreman and mechanic. They couldn't replicate the error, obviously. But the did have a in depth look at the injection system. Found no moisture inside the harnesses, or anything wrong with the fuel system. but they found ice build up on some harness.
But for my trouble they installed the tow hooks I had sitting purposely on the passenger seat for $45. Lol

Dlewis4417

Reaction score
I have 18,000 on my 2022 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn with etorque and for the last three mornings I have stalled out going through a stop sign with no pedals activated, just turning and coasting. When I stop, the rotary dial gear shift turns automatically to Park and the emergency brake is activated without any contact from me. I can start up and take off but it usually does it one more time before it runs the rest of the day without any problem. I contacted one dealership and they didn't know what it was. I contacted another one nearby and they knew what it was and scheduled me for an appointment. Apparently it is a problem with the auxiliary battery in the etorque array that is causing the truck to stall. I'm scheduled for an appointment tomorrow morning so I'll know more after they are finished - said it would take about 3 hours and it is covered under warranty.
Did the problem get fixed? If so what was the problem? We would all like to know. Thanks in advance.

DubC

Reaction score
not sure if this has already been mentioned, but i typically turn off start/stop right when i start the truck to mitigate any risk of that causing the stalling. i guess it's worked so far. it's never stalled with that off.

lrr3782

Reaction score
I had the same stalling that others on this forum have been mentioning. My truck has shut off on me a total of 7 times since I purchased new January of 2021. I took it in to get checked out twice and the dealership was not able to duplicate the issue. Finally I took it to a different dealership and they said they found some bulletin that told them to change out the MGU. Just got my truck back yesterday. We’ll see if it helps. I also put in a notice with NHTSA. For what it’s worth the Ram customer care is horrible to deal with. The second time my truck was in the shop they had it for about 3 weeks and were unable to provide a loaner vehicle. Also when I asked about getting the vehicle towed to another dealership they told me I would need to pay out of pocket. That same day I picked it up to take it to the other dealership the truck shut down on me as soon as I left the dealership and I almost got rear-ended. This will be the last Ram I buy.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same stalling that others on this forum have been mentioning. My truck has shut off on me a total of 7 times since I purchased new January of 2021. I took it in to get checked out twice and the dealership was not able to duplicate the issue. Finally I took it to a different dealership and they said they found some bulletin that told them to change out the MGU. Just got my truck back yesterday. We’ll see if it helps. I also put in a notice with NHTSA. For what it’s worth the Ram customer care is horrible to deal with. The second time my truck was in the shop they had it for about 3 weeks and were unable to provide a loaner vehicle. Also when I asked about getting the vehicle towed to another dealership they told me I would need to pay out of pocket. That same day I picked it up to take it to the other dealership the truck shut down on me as soon as I left the dealership and I almost got rear-ended. This will be the last Ram I buy.
What’s MGU?

lrr3782

Reaction score
I had the same stalling that others on this forum have been mentioning. My truck has shut off on me a total of 7 times since I purchased new January of 2021. I took it in to get checked out twice and the dealership was not able to duplicate the issue. Finally I took it to a different dealership and they said they found some bulletin that told them to change out the MGU. Just got my truck back yesterday. We’ll see if it helps. I also put in a notice with NHTSA. For what it’s worth the Ram customer care is horrible to deal with. The second time my truck was in the shop they had it for about 3 weeks and were unable to provide a loaner vehicle. Also when I asked about getting the vehicle towed to another dealership they told me I would need to pay out of pocket. That same day I picked it up to take it to the other dealership the truck shut down on me as soon as I left the dealership and I almost got rear-ended. This will be the last Ram I buy
Update: Still having the shutdown issue.

daddyfatsaxxx

Reaction score
2019 etorque bighorn at the dealer now for this issue. They are replacing the hybrid battery system.
2022 Rebel G/T with 500 miles did it for the first time today….WTF!!

Bigteeze

Reaction score
I'm in D1 status on a Rebel G/T and this thread is making me nervous about switching out from my current Denali. Hopefully Ram gets this sorted!!

Users who are viewing this thread