5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
UPDATE:

This is now day 3 that my truck has been at the dealership.

I had to call them yesterday at almost 3pm because they had not called me yet.

They told me they replaced the STAR module and that did not fix it, so today, day 3, they will be contacting Chrysler to open a case and try to get it figured out.

I'm very pissed.
I just paid Tens of thousands of dollars for a new and reliable vehicle, and I don't even get to drive it.
I'm making payments on a vehicle that's not even in my possession.

I don't know what to do.
I can't file arbitration, because you have to sign a document saying you won't when you buy vehicles from dealerships now ( or at least the ones i've bought from thus far ).

Do i contact Chrysler and ***** at them? Because the dealership seems Useless.
"LaFontaine Chrysler in Fenton Mi"

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
at some point the e-torque is sending the wrong information to the engine. All this are e-torque related trucks. One person resolved the issue replacing the PCM. But so far i have not had any luck with my dealer finding a solution.
My truck is Non E-torque and it just died on me.

LV426

Reaction score
You are at the mercy of the dealership for now, keep hammering them and don't let up. I've been through this with VW years ago and it worked out in the end... Then Dieselgate happen and they had to hand us a check for 16k and buy back my wife's 6yo diesel Jetta, was a great feeling.

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
You are at the mercy of the dealership for now, keep hammering them and don't let up. I've been through this with VW years ago and it worked out in the end... Then Dieselgate happen and they had to hand us a check for 16k and buy back my wife's 6yo diesel Jetta, was a great feeling.
Is it possible to make them buy it back, or give me a new truck? or make them pay me for all of the days they have it at the dealership so i'm not paying on a vehicle i purchased from them, that they have in their posession?

LV426

Reaction score
No, they will do everything possible to fix, fix and more fix until they are legally obligated to purchase it back (lemon law). My case I spoke of above (Dieselgate, Volkswagen emissions scandal) was unique, had nothing to do with the car not working. But when we did have an issue, which was the related to the gauge cluster and security disabling the engine, what a f-ing nightmare it became. The positive thing was for 3 months (yes, 3 months) the dealer had to give us a loaner and it was an SUV.

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
No, they will do everything possible to fix, fix and more fix until they are legally obligated to purchase it back (lemon law). My case I spoke of above (Dieselgate, Volkswagen emissions scandal) was unique, had nothing to do with the car not working. But when we did have an issue, which was the related to the gauge cluster and security disabling the engine, what a f-ing nightmare it became. The positive thing was for 3 months (yes, 3 months) the dealer had to give us a loaner and it was an SUV.
Well I know my options for arbitration are non-existant because the dealer makes you sing a document agreeing not to Arbitrate before you can buy the vehicle.

So i guess ill have to read up on the lemon laws, because from everything i've been reading, is it sounds like they're going to have my truck for an extended amount of time and they've been giving me the runaround on loaner vehicles.

Just not something I want to be dealing with after purchasing a new truck....
Very pissed, and so far im at the point where I will never purcahse another RAM/chrysler product. Never had problems like this with any of my GM's....

LV426

Reaction score
Well I know my options for arbitration are non-existant because the dealer makes you sing a document agreeing not to Arbitrate before you can buy the vehicle.

So i guess ill have to read up on the lemon laws, because from everything i've been reading, is it sounds like they're going to have my truck for an extended amount of time and they've been giving me the runaround on loaner vehicles.

Very pissed, and so far im at the point where I will never purcahse another RAM/chrysler product. Never had problems like this with any of my GM's....
That sucks, I can tell you from experience that you really have to make a stink with these guys (any auto manufacturer). My wife's car (VW) would not start because of a problem with the key fob and the security system. She became stranded several times, VW was useless and it took a while to finally get it resolved. The problem was traced to the gear cluster and they were on back order for months, blah, blah, blah... I filed complaints with everyone I could, called VW weekly... it was not fun.

You should still be under factory warranty, I wonder why they're giving you a hard time regarding a loaner?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE:

This is now day 3 that my truck has been at the dealership.

I had to call them yesterday at almost 3pm because they had not called me yet.

They told me they replaced the STAR module and that did not fix it, so today, day 3, they will be contacting Chrysler to open a case and try to get it figured out.

I'm very pissed.
I just paid Tens of thousands of dollars for a new and reliable vehicle, and I don't even get to drive it.
I'm making payments on a vehicle that's not even in my possession.

I don't know what to do.
I can't file arbitration, because you have to sign a document saying you won't when you buy vehicles from dealerships now ( or at least the ones i've bought from thus far ).

Do i contact Chrysler and ***** at them? Because the dealership seems Useless.
"LaFontaine Chrysler in Fenton Mi"

It’s been at the dealer for 3 days......three days (!). Talks of lemon law are very, very premature.

Sounds like your dealer has acknowledged the issue, so you’ve won half the battle already.

Maybe @RamCares can help you with a rental in the meantime

LV426

Reaction score
Yeah, has to be the same problem over and over and they get multiple chances to fix it, has to be well documented, etc... Even as bad as our issue was we didn't use the LL.

There gonna fix the truck most likely but like I said, you'll have to keep on them. I would be surprised if it was something so catastrophic that it could not be resolved.

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
It’s been at the dealer for 3 days......three days (!). Talks of lemon law are very, very premature.

Sounds like your dealer has acknowledged the issue, so you’ve won half the battle already.

Maybe @RamCares can help you with a rental in the meantime
3 days may not seem like a lot, but when you buy a brand new vehicle, it shouldnt be in the dealership longer than getting its oil changed...
I didnt go out and spend this kind of money to have a vehicle end up not working at stuck at a dealership.

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
Yeah, has to be the same problem over and over and they get multiple chances to fix it, has to be well documented, etc... Even as bad as our issue was we didn't use the LL.

There gonna fix the truck most likely but like I said, you'll have to keep on them. I would be surprised if it was something so catastrophic that it could not be resolved.
Right, the talk about all of this was for what to anticipate in the future if this problem persists, or my truck never makes it out of the dealership.

This is just the beginning, and judging from other peoples experiences it seems like theres a high potential for this to be on ongoing thing. Also, for the fact that they already replaced the STAR module and that didn't fix it, I'm kind of at a loss for what it could be, having read through all of the comments in this thread. It doesnt have auto star/stop, no E-torque, and didn't happen after making a turn and then accelerating.

Also not reassuring that theres about 2439587 computers in these trucks now making it that much less easy to diagnose / work on.

I should have stuck with my 2012 silverado... lol

rdmeadows

Reaction score

Get ready for a long process. My 2021 ram with 5000 miles has been at the dealer for a month now with this same issue, and I don't think they're any closer to figuring it out than day one. It is incredibly frustrating when you purchase a new vehicle.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
3 days may not seem like a lot, but when you buy a brand new vehicle, it shouldnt be in the dealership longer than getting its oil changed...
I didnt go out and spend this kind of money to have a vehicle end up not working at stuck at a dealership.
Wait, didn't you say your truck was a used 2020?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait, didn't you say your truck was a used 2020?
He had said it was a 2020 with 1 previous owner. Might be why the truck got traded so quickly... this happened once to my 2021 but has yet to happen again

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
He had said it was a 2020 with 1 previous owner. Might be why the truck got traded so quickly... this happened once to my 2021 but has yet to happen again
It was a lease turn in from the same dealership.
I wouldn't think they'd turn around and put it back out on the lot with this issue known, knowing it would end up right back at their door.

Trip333

Reaction score
Yes, these trucks do not respond well to mashing the gas pedal. A swift, smooth flooring will result in far better acceleration and performance. This is probably as designed, although I have observed some unusual surging when slowly starting forward after switching from reverse to drive, and while turning from a dead stop, always when the engine is cold. Edit to add: There does appear to be an intermittent issue, even when warm, when starting from a stop or near stop. It feels to me like the transmission has to shift from 2nd to 1st and hesitates for a bit. Sometimes the trans doesn't seem to get into 1st gear until I press on the gas, and then there is a hesitation, a slight surge, and off we go. This is probably a scenario where the MGU and trans are not playing together just right. Let me add that so far, I REALLY like this truck, warts and all.

I worked in software for 25 years. It is very likely that there are over a million lines of poorly written code residing in the PCM. There are far, far too many permutations of possible combinations of conditions and sensors to be able to even test even a majority of the possible combinations. This will result in some never to be fixed, some even found, bugs. All large software systems have them.

I have been carefully following this forum for potential issues since I got my truck last July. The low speed turning stall so far has two possible resolutions. The first, because it is the easiest, is to replace the lead acid battery. The second is to replace the throttle body. I base this on reading the forums. I also suspect that replacing and/or re-calibrating the throttle position sensor may be of value.
I have a 2021 Rebel with the ETORQUE pos. It cut off on me 3 times within the first 2000 miles. It's in the shop, again, for this issue. Been there going on 15 days. They opened a Star case on it. As of this past Friday the techs said that they have been advised to replace the fuel injectors and the fuel rail. They said that this "should permanently fix the issue". I guess we will see. If not, I'm getting close to the 20 day rule for a lemon. I just can't believe that I have a $65000 truck that I'm making payments on to sit in shop this early after purchasing it. This is a huge issue and sooner or later someone will get hurt or hurt someone else as a result of this. I guess that is what it's going to take for a massive recall. I'm sick of it !!

Trip333

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel with the ETORQUE pos. It cut off on me 3 times within the first 2000 miles. It's in the shop, again, for this issue. The first two times it cut off, making a right turn, it put me in a scary situation and nearly caused a collision. Embarrassing too. It has been at the dealership going on 15 days now. They did give me a loaner, base model Ram 1500. They opened a Star case on it. As of this past Friday the techs said that they have been advised to replace the fuel injectors and the fuel rail. They said that this "should permanently fix the issue". I guess we will see. If not, I'm getting close to the 20 day rule for a lemon. I just can't believe that I have a $65000 truck that I'm making payments on to sit in shop this early after purchasing it. This is a huge issue and sooner or later someone will get hurt or hurt someone else as a result of this. I guess that is what it's going to take for a massive recall. I'm sick of it !!

Trip333

Reaction score
That's bs ! I would refuse to pay monthly payments on something that sits for 3 months, regardless if they give me a loaner or not.

Users who are viewing this thread