5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer currently for my backlight and dash replacement as well as this cutting off issue as it returned last week after not having any issues since last August.
I got mine back from the dealer and they didn’t find anything wrong to cause the issues and now my truck isn’t doing it again. The one thing they did was fully charge my battery and I did have a completely dead truck when I came back from being out of town a few days like something was left on. It was so dead I had to manually unlock it as nothing electrical was working at all. Maybe even after driving my battery still wasn’t charged properly and made the truck freak out

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
I got mine back from the dealer and they didn’t find anything wrong to cause the issues and now my truck isn’t doing it again. The one thing they did was fully charge my battery and I did have a completely dead truck when I came back from being out of town a few days like something was left on. It was so dead I had to manually unlock it as nothing electrical was working at all. Maybe even after driving my battery still wasn’t charged properly and made the truck freak out
From my research, if the generator is not doing its job the vehical will have sporadic bouts electrical issues which will happen when the voltage drops. I spoke with a mecanic whom had worked on big rigs with a type of generator installed. He said that the vehicles would have unexplainable bouts of power issues when this happened and they finally narrowed it down to the generator system.
My trucks last freakout was when i went to put it in park, the truck stalled as i was doing that (i think) and would not allow me to power off my truck nor start it. I couldnt even turn off the stereo. I couldnt turn off the parking brake, it said it was dissabled, couldn't turn off the stereo, it said i was on a call. The truck eventually powered itself down took about 15 minutes, and i could start it as normal. Truck has not had a spaz since. Service scanned for codes no codes found. Ony difference i caught this on video. I just happened to be recording the voltage fluctuations when it did it.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
From my research, if the generator is not doing its job the vehical will have sporadic bouts electrical issues which will happen when the voltage drops. I spoke with a mecanic whom had worked on big rigs with a type of generator installed. He said that the vehicles would have unexplainable bouts of power issues when this happened and they finally narrowed it down to the generator system.
My trucks last freakout was when i went to put it in park, the truck stalled as i was doing that (i think) and would not allow me to power off my truck nor start it. I couldnt even turn off the stereo. I couldnt turn off the parking brake, it said it was dissabled, couldn't turn off the stereo, it said i was on a call. The truck eventually powered itself down took about 15 minutes, and i could start it as normal. Truck has not had a spaz since. Service scanned for codes no codes found. Ony difference i caught this on video. I just happened to be recording the voltage fluctuations when it did it.
I’ve had this same power loss issue too where sometimes it gives a no bus error. It has done this while driving/with the engine running and I have to wait for it to like blip and cut off on its on as it won’t let me cut it off during that time. It still drives as normal during these times

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
I’ve had this same power loss issue too where sometimes it gives a no bus error. It has done this while driving/with the engine running and I have to wait for it to like blip and cut off on its on as it won’t let me cut it off during that time. It still drives as normal during these times
Never had no bus error on the dash however while driving sometimes, just recently, mind you, my truck while driving tells me key fob not detected. I assumed that it was my fob batteries. Went in to dodge the parts person checked both fobs batteries were fine. He stated that it could possibly be a PCM issue (i would think this would also be connected to the no bus issue) service checked the PCM and its connections all was as it should on my truck. However it could a possibility that you have a loose connection. Worth checking into. I am not in anyway a mechanic i want to add. I purchased a new truck so I wouldn't have to worry about being stranded anywhere. Boy was I wrong.

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
Never had no bus error on the dash however while driving sometimes, just recently, mind you, my truck while driving tells me key fob not detected. I assumed that it was my fob batteries. Went in to dodge the parts person checked both fobs batteries were fine. He stated that it could possibly be a PCM issue (i would think this would also be connected to the no bus issue) service checked the PCM and its connections all was as it should on my truck. However it could a possibility that you have a loose connection. Worth checking into. I am not in anyway a mechanic i want to add. I purchased a new truck so I wouldn't have to worry about being stranded anywhere. Boy was I wrong.
No water leaks they have taken the back seat out to get to the generator battery so i assume they would have found that if there was. as for the RF hub i an not sure if it was tested so i will definitely bring it up to them if that problem persists. The first time it did it my truck was off so i had to get it towed in. The other times it was while the truck was running. Every time the passenger door was opened it said key fob was not detected. Was wierd. And of course everytime i get it to the dealership the dang truck behaves. So frusterating. So i just started recording a video every time it acts up. At least then i dont look like a lunatic when i go in. I just show them my phone

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
No water leaks they have taken the back seat out to get to the generator battery so i assume they would have found that if there was. as for the RF hub i an not sure if it was tested so i will definitely bring it up to them if that problem persists. The first time it did it my truck was off so i had to get it towed in. The other times it was while the truck was running. Every time the passenger door was opened it said key fob was not detected. Was wierd. And of course everytime i get it to the dealership the dang truck behaves. So frusterating. So i just started recording a video every time it acts up. At least then i dont look like a lunatic when i go in. I just show them my phone
Yeah and see mine never has an issue starting again once it cuts off thankfully. Usually if it’s unresponsive it’s only while the truck is running and I can’t cut it off. I’m definitely starting to think it has something to do with the etorque charging system. My battery is good so I don’t think that’s it

DT Sport

Reaction score
Okay so it isn't just me. This has happened to me twice now with my 2023 Big horn e torque 3.6. Once coasting while dropping my daughter off at school. Once again coasting to and through a stoplight when it changed leaving me stopped in an intersection. Thank goodness I didn't trade in my 2004 Silverado. I didn't take it in because there weren't any codes and I didn't want to play the dealership service game. I have had the truck 6 months but I am thinking of trading the thing in. the only thing that is better than my 2004 Silverado is the heated steering wheel 😁. In fact the 2004 is a much better truck, seats are worlds better, ride is better, and there is no way the new truck will last 20 years

Last edited:

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
I got a recall notice about this issue and took mine in to the dealer. It never died, but I got the recall software update to avoid it ....hopefully.
Yes from what I heard it is a software update because of the etorque

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, e-torque. The truck randomly turns off, happened to me once and my wife twice. When it shuts off the brake auto engages! As it should, but this shut off deal alot of people are experiencing is going to cause an accident. Of course the dealer can't find any codes, can't find any problems and cannot get the truck to stall on their 3 mile drive.
There’s an update for the etorque version that will eliminate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/