5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine rebuild for future whipple?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now run along and build your 320 hp 410 stroker
There you go again trying to discredit my advice with a personal attack. Can't prove anything I said was factually wrong, just different than your opinion, so let's attack the person, not his advice.

And fwiw the 360 I pulled out was making 340 to the wheels all motor. So I'd hope to God a 410 stroker will be more than that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What was the topic again? We lost it a couple of pages back.
The fact that the OP wants a mild build for more power, and looking at boost. 6psi will be safe on a stock Hemi. There was even a guy who actually had a procharger on his truck at 6psi with just the Procharger PCM and been running great for two years. Of course he was told he was an "exception", because that would contradict someone else's opinion. ;P

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Basicslky. Will just let BowDown win this one. Anyone with common sense can sort through the comments and decide who they want to listen to.

Lol right, look at the my previous post

The fact that the OP wants a mild build for more power, and looking at boost. 6psi will be safe on a stock Hemi. There was even a guy who actually had a procharger on his truck at 6psi with just the Procharger PCM and been running great for two years. Of course he was told he was an "exception", because that would contradict someone else's opinion. ;P

And he said what to that, yeah that's right. Swing and a miss. Now you're trying to act like an adult, comical. Everyone's been civil except you

KPeak

Reaction score
Ive always wanted a turbo/supercharged engine and the way the industry is going, it seems everything will be electric before long. While im ok with electric, in my opinion, theres a lot that needs to be worked out (charging reliability, towing range among others). That being said, i think ill hold onto my 5th gen ram for quite a while; its certainly my favorite having owned a 4th and 3rd gen.

Having owned many vehicles, ive never owned a forced induction one. Im probably going to go for the 5th gen whipple at a low boost (6 lbs) and eventually build the truck up around it so i can go higher with the boost. My main concern is reliability; we live in the Denver metro area and frequently take road trips to and through the mountains, so im ok backing off the extremes and not trying to get every single HP out of this motor. We occasionally rent a travel trailer, so we'd still need to tow. Yes, leaving the truck as is would be the most reliable but thats not the path im going down.

I figure ill probably have a (still to be determined) local shop here do the install and tune but am also considering having the engine rebuilt and beefed up to support the boost. Ive got 60k miles on the truck now and figure ill probably be ready about this time next year to do the whipple install. I'm interested on opinions on rebuilding the engine prior to boosting for added reliability with forged internals, maybe even a stroker kit. I'd be fine to have a garage rebuild for $3k +/- with forged internals but could be swayed into a few grand more if its worth it on reliability/hp gains.

I dont plan on taking this to the drag strip. Ever. Just want more fun when i press the pedal and to regain some lost power from living at altitude (our home is about 6000' in elevation). I dont pay for my gas, my company does (typical in my industry), so im not concerned about any additional fuel costs even though its not much. Ive considered buying a TRX but dont feel like starting payments all over again for something the sells for over MSRP (plus i dont like the reduced towing capacity and really do love my truck).

All this being said, any advice? Rebuild the engine? Go with a stroker kit? Just wait until later when the truck has some higher mileage?

For anyone thats done a supercharger, did you have anything in your truck no longer function (buttons switches, check engine lights) after going with a F/I mod? Would you do it again?

I don’t get on here much but I’ll give my input in the subject since my Ram has an aftermarket turbo setup.

My input is to buy a procharger and either install it yourself, or try to find a shop that won’t charge you 10k.

I’ve had plenty of little issues with my setup but never had a single issue with the motor and it’s seen 6-8psi for over a year now. Stock motor, stock intake, throttle body, transmission, driveshaft, etc. my Ram has 111,000 miles and that small amount of boost it just shrugs off.

I enjoy the turbo aspect and sound over a supercharger anyway, and when it got tuned on the first iteration at 6.2psi it made 483whp/ 556wtq.

I’m working on some efficiency issues with my exhaust piping and turbine housing then plan to run it at 8lbs. The procharger kit is at 7psi and they don’t require any internal motor modifications, but once you start to push past that, the stock piston ring gap becomes a large concern. Oh and custom tuning is a nightmare for these computers so you need to find someone who spends the time street tuning and tuning for driveability. The Dyno run is a tiny part of the tuning picture.

60k on the motor is FRESH, buy a 180 degree coolant temp sensor, get a set of headers, and get the procharger kit and it’ll be reliable as hell.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I don’t get on here much but I’ll give my input in the subject since my Ram has an aftermarket turbo setup.

My input is to buy a procharger and either install it yourself, or try to find a shop that won’t charge you 10k.

I’ve had plenty of little issues with my setup but never had a single issue with the motor and it’s seen 6-8psi for over a year now. Stock motor, stock intake, throttle body, transmission, driveshaft, etc. my Ram has 111,000 miles and that small amount of boost it just shrugs off.

I enjoy the turbo aspect and sound over a supercharger anyway, and when it got tuned on the first iteration at 6.2psi it made 483whp/ 556wtq.

I’m working on some efficiency issues with my exhaust piping and turbine housing then plan to run it at 8lbs. The procharger kit is at 7psi and they don’t require any internal motor modifications, but once you start to push past that, the stock piston ring gap becomes a large concern. Oh and custom tuning is a nightmare for these computers so you need to find someone who spends the time street tuning and tuning for driveability. The Dyno run is a tiny part of the tuning picture.

60k on the motor is FRESH, buy a 180 degree coolant temp sensor, get a set of headers, and get the procharger kit and it’ll be reliable as hell.
I appreciate that advice!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've thought about adding more power to my truck as well. If this were my money, I'd be going with the 6.4, probably the BGE for most reliability especially while towing.

Peak HP/torque figures are only 1 tiny metric, there is a whole power curve that matters and the 6.4 should offer a lot more grunt for towing down low. Couple guys on the other forum have done this swap with great results.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted this and have considered a TRX, but ultimately I love my truck and it's also about paid off. Whipe did come out with an etorque version of their 3.0 5th gen for 9k ish. I think I'm going to go that way and keep it at the 6psi. If I want more later, I'll have the engine built up and replace the tranny. I can be disciplined enough to keep it at 6psi if going higher means almost certainly breaking something expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread