5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine locked at 74,000 miles

RamTitan

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why this happened? According to my mechanic the oil cooling system failed and started flooding into my radiator. Just had my oil changed the day before at Express Oil Change. They claim they had nothing to do with it and that that they notated on my paperwork that when I came in there was no oil on the dipstick. They never said anything to me about that and I still am scratching my head how I could have been driving it with no notification from my truck that I was low on oil. Somehow because they claimed there was no oil, they are not liable. How can a 74,000 mile engine do this when I do my due diligence to get my oil changed when it is called for? Now I’m on the hook for a new engine replacement that is gonna cost me between $11,000 and $16,000 depending on all the damage of what happened.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no low oil level light on these engines, you are supposed to periodically check your oil level. However, I believe there is a low oil pressure warning, I would think if the oil level was low enough to cause damage, then it would be low enough to set off the low pressure warning, but I'm not sure.

Based on what you said, the oil cooling system failed, and it leaked oil into the radiator and away from the engine causing oil starvation? Is those prices based on dealer prices for a new engine? I would consider sourcing a used or remanufactured engine and having a independent shop do the install, probably at least 50% cheaper.

Sorry about the issue man, sucks to have to replace an engine so early.

RamTitan

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. The price quoted is for a brand new engine, labor, and with any brand new components my mechanic (independent) deems necessary to replace. I’m gonna hand this 2019 RAM down to my son so I want it to be as reliable as possible. I know there is no low oil light, which doesn’t makes since that you have a low washer fluid and low tire pressure indicator but nothing for the most important fluid in your engine. I stopped and checked my oil psi and oil temp one mile before my engine locked up, because I heard a faint ticking and it was idling higher than normal, and the numbers were normal. The whole thing boggles my mind.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why this happened? According to my mechanic the oil cooling system failed and started flooding into my radiator. Just had my oil changed the day before at Express Oil Change. They claim they had nothing to do with it and that that they notated on my paperwork that when I came in there was no oil on the dipstick. They never said anything to me about that and I still am scratching my head how I could have been driving it with no notification from my truck that I was low on oil. Somehow because they claimed there was no oil, they are not liable. How can a 74,000 mile engine do this when I do my due diligence to get my oil changed when it is called for? Now I’m on the hook for a new engine replacement that is gonna cost me between $11,000 and $16,000 depending on all the damage of what happened.

In the quest for ever-higher levels of performance and efficiency from internal combustion engines,
some are now being built with oil heat exchangers to help thinner oil work with tighter bearing clearances. A by-product of this is that a heat exchanger failure can allow lubricating oil to leak into the lower pressure cooling fluid system. At the same time, the coolant and oil level sensing systems still consist of dipsticks and an operator. If the owner/operator fails to notice rising coolant level or falling oil level pretty quick, permanent engine damage is likely.

That's about as diplomatic as I can put it. This ain't your daddy's Dodge truck. And it's not confined to a single brand or model. You can only push machinery so hard.

Liability? The oil change place probably did nothing wrong. If the heat exchanger is considered part of the drivetrain, Stallantis' warranty might apply.

You have my sympathy, and I'm watching every quirk and twitch of mine with a critical eye.

On side notes, I wonder a couple things:
Are the heat exchangers made offshore?
Could the owners complaining about anti-freeze smell have something going on?

Paco

Reaction score
Im sure there would be a indictor if the oil was that low.
Contact a engineer and ask them.
If they tell you it does, call the oil change place back, and tell them there fulll of ****tt.
Maybe it would throw a code also???.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's no true oil pressure sensor. There's a guesstimated value computed ( whats shown on gauges and the info panel ) from rpm, temperatures and other things, and a idiot light that trips at <10 or 8 psi.

If you had oil in coolant there's a well known failure of the oil cooler and/or EGR cooler failing on some rams and causing that as well as engine damage.

My advice would be to file a claim with your insurance and give them the receipt the day before showing the oil change before the failure and let the bloodsucking insurance companies do what they do best and go after them for liability. If the engine is hot there's often no oil on the dipstick, or everywhere, thats why you measure it cold. Did they document how much they removed? Was it noticably short? And don't ask them to tip them off that's your line of thinking either. They will change records to avoid paying out liability.

GMetal

Reaction score
There are no low oil sensors in Hemi engines. Only thing would be regularly checking oil level and/or seeing the oil pressure drop at high RPMs

GMetal

Reaction score
There's no true oil pressure sensor. There's a guesstimated value computed ( whats shown on gauges and the info panel ) from rpm, temperatures and other things, and a idiot light that trips at <10 or 8 psi.

If you had oil in coolant there's a well known failure of the oil cooler and/or EGR cooler failing on some rams and causing that as well as engine damage.
What? 68334877AA is the part number for the sensor. Its on the right front of the engine.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What? 68334877AA is the part number for the sensor. Its on the right front of the engine.
It's only an up or down sensor, doesn't give actual PSI. Just yes over the 8/10 psi limit or not.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no low oil level light on these engines, you are supposed to periodically check your oil level. However, I believe there is a low oil pressure warning, I would think if the oil level was low enough to cause damage, then it would be low enough to set off the low pressure warning, but I'm not sure.

Based on what you said, the oil cooling system failed, and it leaked oil into the radiator and away from the engine causing oil starvation? Is those prices based on dealer prices for a new engine? I would consider sourcing a used or remanufactured engine and having a independent shop do the install, probably at least 50% cheaper.

Sorry about the issue man, sucks to have to replace an engine so early.
That's Stellantis quality

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was browsing ebay for something and came across 2 engine listings.
12k miles $4200 and one under 1k miles for $4600. In case you want to look into it. You may still want to go new but just passing this info along. Do your own checking as far as warranty, buyer protection and stuff.

GMetal

Reaction score
It's only an up or down sensor, doesn't give actual PSI. Just yes over the 8/10 psi limit or not.
Do you have some documentation on this? Cant find anything online or in my HP Tuners software about this type of up/down sensor - just 8/10psi limit thing. Its a 5 volt sensor. Genuinely curious.

RamTitan

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input. I really do appreciate it. I’ve already moved forward with dropping a new engine. Had to put 7k down to get the ball rolling. I also went with, what I was told, is the newer version of the hemi that does not cut out the 4 cylinders when driving highway or maybe, i guess “eco mode”. So one final fact, that I didn’t mention, is that I had my 2019 RAM idling a lot. Like 4 hours everyday. And I heard a guy, that you might know, on YouTube (Scotty Kilmer) that a hemi should never be left idling. He didn’t say why or if my specific issue would ever happen. But does anybody think that excessive idling could cause the oil cooling system to fail? And two, do you guys know that the newer engines does not go down to 4 cylinders and did I choose the best option of an engine? It cost me an extra grand to go that route. Thanks for any replies!

RamTitan

Reaction score
Update, as you might can tell, I am not a mechanic. I understand that when I am referring to the engine going to 4 cylinders, that is the MDS. I see nothing on the interweb which tells me that RAM has gone away from MDS. So I might have ignorantly trusted my guy that is dropping my engine. Unless someone knows why I was told that they have stopped using MDS, I am going to call my guy tomorrow to understand why he told me this.

GMetal

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input. I really do appreciate it. I’ve already moved forward with dropping a new engine. Had to put 7k down to get the ball rolling. I also went with, what I was told, is the newer version of the hemi that does not cut out the 4 cylinders when driving highway or maybe, i guess “eco mode”. So one final fact, that I didn’t mention, is that I had my 2019 RAM idling a lot. Like 4 hours everyday. And I heard a guy, that you might know, on YouTube (Scotty Kilmer) that a hemi should never be left idling. He didn’t say why or if my specific issue would ever happen. But does anybody think that excessive idling could cause the oil cooling system to fail? And two, do you guys know that the newer engines does not go down to 4 cylinders and did I choose the best option of an engine? It cost me an extra grand to go that route. Thanks for any replies!
Id assume its aftermarket cam and lifter setup that deletes the MDS function. Im not sure if it needs to be tuned out of the ECM. I would get stuff in writing so its spelled out what you are buying.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
get the specifics of what your mechanic is actually installing because I don't believe there is a new hemi engine, the only upcoming ram engine that I know of is the hurricane engine so the only thing is as Gmetal noted, the after market delete. Did you specifically ask for that
The only engine with no MDS is the trx engine

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
get the specifics of what your mechanic is actually installing because I don't believe there is a new hemi engine, the only upcoming ram engine that I know of is the hurricane engine so the only thing is as Gmetal noted, the after market delete. Did you specifically ask for that
The only engine with no MDS is the trx engine
The 6.4 hemi doesn't have MDS.
Not sure if it would fit in a 1500 though.

All current 5.7 hemi have MDS

I don't understand why the OP is getting sold something so expensive.
Can get a 5.7 hemi crate engine for $6000, obviously need to spend more for the rest of the parts, but $1600?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 6.4 hemi doesn't have MDS.
Not sure if it would fit in a 1500 though.

All current 5.7 hemi have MDS

I don't understand why the OP is getting sold something so expensive.
Can get a 5.7 hemi crate engine for $6000, obviously need to spend more for the rest of the parts, but $1600?
6.4 hemis have mds.

Users who are viewing this thread