5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine locked at 74,000 miles

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

I do NOT have a Hemi, but my owner's manual has this:
Manual page.JPG

That is from the generic 2021 Owner's Manual. Do the 2019 Hemi's really not come with a low oil pressure light??? That is one of, if not THE, most important indicators to have on an engine.

Regardless, I hope you end up with a good resolution.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

View attachment 144667

That is from the generic 2021 Owner's Manual. Do the 2019 Hemi's really not come with a low oil pressure light??? That is one of, if not THE, most important indicators to have on an engine.

2019 Owner's Manual
Oil Pressure Warning Light This warning light will illuminate to indicate low engine oil pressure. If the light turns on while driving, stop the vehicle, shut off the engine as soon as possible, and contact an authorized dealer. A chime will sound when this light turns on. 4 GETTING TO KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 175 Do not operate the vehicle until the cause is corrected. This light does not indicate how much oil is in the engine. The engine oil level must be checked under the hood

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, this reading is a fake reading. It's computed from random garbage.
1669517563683.png

This is the "real" one and trips when the sensor reads below 8/10 psi
The red oil light to the right below temperature.

note it shows "19 psi" its a lie.
1669517643976.png

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update, as you might can tell, I am not a mechanic. I understand that when I am referring to the engine going to 4 cylinders, that is the MDS. I see nothing on the interweb which tells me that RAM has gone away from MDS. So I might have ignorantly trusted my guy that is dropping my engine. Unless someone knows why I was told that they have stopped using MDS, I am going to call my guy tomorrow to understand why he told me this.
To get the extra grand outta you?

Sorry, could resist... ;)
Id assume its aftermarket cam and lifter setup that deletes the MDS function. Im not sure if it needs to be tuned out of the ECM. I would get stuff in writing so its spelled out what you are buying.
Yes, must be tuned out, and there ain't no way a dealer is doin' that.
1669650306990.png

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

View attachment 144667

It has a low oil pressure warning, but not a low oil level warning.

GMetal

Reaction score
ok, this reading is a fake reading. It's computed from random garbage.

This is the "real" one and trips when the sensor reads below 8/10 psi
The red oil light to the right below temperature.

note it shows "19 psi" its a lie.
Why do you keep repeating this? Where do you get your information? A 5 volt pressure sensor tells the computer what the pressure is. If you dont believe me hook up a mechanical gauge and tell me how different the 5 volt sensor and your mechanical gauge is.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has a low oil pressure warning, but not a low oil level warning.

No snark:

Yeah, but how does low oil level matter...except that it starves the oil pump thereby leading to a LOW PRESSURE?

I mean, the engine just needs oil pressure. If there's pressure, there is sufficient volume to be pumped, to lubricate, and then return to the reservoir, where it then repeats the cycle.

(Unless there's some failure mode where the pressure is ONLY present at the pressure sender, but the oil is blocked from circulating???)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No snark:

Yeah, but how does low oil level matter...except that it starves the oil pump thereby leading to a LOW PRESSURE?

I mean, the engine just needs oil pressure. If there's pressure, there is sufficient volume to be pumped, to lubricate, and then return to the reservoir, where it then repeats the cycle.

(Unless there's some failure mode where the pressure is ONLY present at the pressure sender, but the oil is blocked from circulating???)

Your speaking to the choir here, I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a low oil level warning before my RAM. Even my old R170 Benz, which has a dipstick, also has a sensor you can check from the cab to see if your oil level is within a safe level, along with oil low and oil high warning.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Man that is a nightmare!! I’m sorry to hear that! Insurance wouldn’t cover any of that? Also these trucks notify you when your “oil life” is low, but it’s just based on miles it’s not actually measuring oil level or if you used regular or synthetic :/
That’s really a bummer. But yeah just like other videos have stated, the 2 worst things to do for your hemi is allow MDS to deactivate cylinders because it starves them for oil, and don’t let it idle for long periods of time. Those are 2 crippling negatives about the hemi and it’s crazy frustrating. Sorry you had this happen to you with such a low mileage truck!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update, as you might can tell, I am not a mechanic. I understand that when I am referring to the engine going to 4 cylinders, that is the MDS. I see nothing on the interweb which tells me that RAM has gone away from MDS. So I might have ignorantly trusted my guy that is dropping my engine. Unless someone knows why I was told that they have stopped using MDS, I am going to call my guy tomorrow to understand why he told me this.

To get the extra grand outta you?

Sorry, could resist... ;)

Yes, must be tuned out, and there ain't no way a dealer is doin' that.
View attachment 144819
I mean to be fair, if you are getting a new or rebuilt engine put in you may as well have MDS completely removed imo.
I do wonder if the ECM is going to need a tune so it doesn't try and trigger MCS electronically?
If we had the option I'm sure at least 60% would opt to not have the "feature" from the factory (assuming you are getting a v8 and not a 4/6 cylinder)

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No one should wonder "if" you would need a tune. Of course who cares if nothing actually responds to the solenoids to trigger MDS, you could plug in any kind of fooler. FCA closes down the valves for a reason - continuing to pump air thru would most definitely raise the O2 before the cats, overheating and melting them and driving NOX thru the roof.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No one should wonder "if" you would need a tune. Of course who cares if nothing actually responds to the solenoids to trigger MDS, you could plug in any kind of fooler. FCA closes down the valves for a reason - continuing to pump air thru would most definitely raise the O2 before the cats, overheating and melting them and driving NOX thru the roof.
What are you even talking about?
Disabling MDS is a common thing.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you even talking about?
Disabling MDS is a common thing.
1669811809925.png

The thread moved into MDS removal discussion, reread about the last 5 posts. To build the motor with Mopar or aftermarket non-MDS parts is not OEM EPA rated, and FCA assumes it will be "off road" and tuned accordingly. Reread the cats problem. There may be other problems related to running straight air thru the cylinder and valves. I really hope you are not talking about pushing buttons in the OEM truck.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I am not a fan of what I know as idiot lights. None of my race cars had low oil sensors, just oil pressure gauges. I don't recall any of the race cars having a low level sensor. Also, Some of the idiot lights are not really level sensors, but rather they are pressure sensors. I remember putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a car with an idiot light and basically the you removed the sensor for the idiot light and screwed in the fitting for the oil/tubing to the gauge. Pressure is a better measure as you can lose pressure without having low oil volume but with low oil volume that is too low, you will lose pressure due to starvation. My .02

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why this happened? According to my mechanic the oil cooling system failed and started flooding into my radiator. Just had my oil changed the day before at Express Oil Change. They claim they had nothing to do with it and that that they notated on my paperwork that when I came in there was no oil on the dipstick. They never said anything to me about that and I still am scratching my head how I could have been driving it with no notification from my truck that I was low on oil. Somehow because they claimed there was no oil, they are not liable. How can a 74,000 mile engine do this when I do my due diligence to get my oil changed when it is called for? Now I’m on the hook for a new engine replacement that is gonna cost me between $11,000 and $16,000 depending on all the damage of what happened.
That’s a real bummer, I would hate for my engine to fail out of warranty, and specially before my truck would be paid for, I got 0% financing for 7 long years, the discount on my truck was very good at the time of purchase and there was no discount for paying cash.

Just because the oil did not show on the dipstick doesn’t mean that your truck will starve oil, low end of the dipstick marking (operating range) usually means 1 quart added would bring it to the top of the dipstick marking, the Hemi has 7 quarts of oil, so the dipstick would probably not show any oil if it was 1 quart lower that the low level on the dipstick which would be 5 quarts in the engine.

Hopefully you get your truck running soon.

Users who are viewing this thread