5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine issues when idle

Checkas

Reaction score
I seem to have a intermittent problem that I cannot figure out. My vehicle still has many factors warranty on it so I'm trying to get it fixed before that goes out. I've tried three times to the dealership and they cannot duplicate the issue.

When I am idling in Drive stopped at a stop sign or something else with the air conditioner all the way on I can watch the RPM gauge go from right under a thousand RPMs to just over a thousand RPMs and it keeps doing this rapidly. I've captured a video to show that I'm not pressing the accelerator. I've shown this before to both the dealership and to a ram district manager who doesn't even know where to begin. My concern is that this is going to cause me a bigger issue down the road.

Here's the video

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your engine air intake is clogged? Checked under it also in case stuff dropped down. I wonder if it's gasping for air when you are not in motion where less air would be getting taken in.
The one under your hood on the left hand side.

Could also try disconnecting the battery overnight in case it's something electrical, it's free and easy to try.

What year is and how many miles does your truck have?

Make sure when you go in they still do a work order and it list something like "customer states" and your description.
If you are just outside of warranty and something happens you generally can go back and say "see it did go" if push comes to shove.

Checkas

Reaction score
30k miles. Filter is clean as it can be. This is intermittent and so it could be days or weeks before it acts up again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How is your 12V battery doing? Have you looked at the volts when it is causing this problem on your instrument cluster?
I wonder if the AC compressor is on it's way out and pulling too much power then it should be and then forcing the truck to increase RPMs to keep a proper charge on the battery?

Do you have eTorque or just a regular 5.7?

I would still try disconnecting the battery if you haven't. Give it a few hours disconnected so all the devices can drain and get a fresh start.

Checkas

Reaction score
Just a normal 5.7. If the compressor is at fault, how am I going to get the dealer to replace it?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can't force a dealership to do anything unfortunately.
You can contact @RamCares and see if they can open a case to get a dealership to look further into it.

I would just make sure you have the work orders saved from when you take it in with a description of the problem, and if\when it goes go back with the paperwork and ask them to do a "good will" repair.

Besides it outright dying I don't think you can do anything with the dealership if they keep giving you the bogus everything looks fine. That's why I sold my last truck because everything was not fine and I knew it but 2 differnet dealerships refused to do the work it needed and I was going to get stuck with a $4k repair just outside of warranty.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Try cleaning the throttle body. If it's sticking, it may be fighting the AC load and overshooting then backing off. Repeat. It doesn't take much to clean it. A screwdriver, a rag, maybe an old toothbrush, and some spray carb cleaner.

Checkas

Reaction score
In regards to opening up a ticket I tried to do that already not for this issue but for something else and the district manager that they send is an idiot. She said and I'm going to quote her that she didn't answer to me she reported directly to Detroit so she didn't have to provide answers to anything nor does she have to help me or do anything about any problems. If interest rates were not so bad right now I would have already traded the truck in. I have extended warranty purchased through the Louisiana dealers but it's not manufacturers warranty.

And taking it to another Ram dealership will not work because the other Ram dealer will not service Vehicles bought from a competing entity. They actually told me do not ever bring this truck back here for repair. So I have to go back to the place that I purchased it from which is who is telling me nothing's wrong with it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe unhook the battery for 30 min and reconnect. Clean the TB is another thought. Also look for a vacuum leak

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
In regards to opening up a ticket I tried to do that already not for this issue but for something else and the district manager that they send is an idiot. She said and I'm going to quote her that she didn't answer to me she reported directly to Detroit so she didn't have to provide answers to anything nor does she have to help me or do anything about any problems. If interest rates were not so bad right now I would have already traded the truck in. I have extended warranty purchased through the Louisiana dealers but it's not manufacturers warranty.

And taking it to another Ram dealership will not work because the other Ram dealer will not service Vehicles bought from a competing entity. They actually told me do not ever bring this truck back here for repair. So I have to go back to the place that I purchased it from which is who is telling me nothing's wrong with it.
I don't think we are getting the whole story.

You have an obscure possible problem that happens every once in a while that the dealership can't reproduce. You already opened a case with Ram and they refused to do (anything?) or tell you the results of the case? Doesn't sound normal. Doesn't sound like you ever had a case opened. What is a district manager? Not a Ram customer service case person as far as I know. How did you open the case?

You also went to another dealership for a warranty problem and they outright refused to look at your truck and told you to never take it back there because they don't service trucks not purchased through them, and you didn't think to call Ram corporate back who you already had a case with so they would strip that dealership of the partnership with Ram if what you say is really true.

I'm going to pass on this thread something smells funky, GL.

6of36

Reaction score
I can't believe, another dealer that doesn't want to service a vehicle sold elsewhere. I am welcomed and treated like a friend, when I take my vehicle I purchased elsewhere, to the local dealer for service.

Checkas

Reaction score
So you successfully taken over this thread making it seem like I have not done anything. Let me go ahead and set you straight since you seem to know every single thing about how everything works. If I bring the vehicle to a dealership and they don't offer to do anything or they say they are not going to service the vehicle then I'm going to contact Ram customer service. At that point a ticket is going to be opened and it's going to be assigned to a district manager in the area. The district manager will visit the dealership and then determine what course of action needs to be taken next. Choosing another dealership to bring the vehicle too was one out of necessity since this dealership is several miles closer to my home. It was actually Ram who suggested to do this. So next time whenever you jump the gun assume and make someone out to be a ******* maybe you should think. This is not about you this is about a problem with the vehicle. Leave your own feelings out of it.

RamCares

Reaction score
I seem to have a intermittent problem that I cannot figure out. My vehicle still has many factors warranty on it so I'm trying to get it fixed before that goes out. I've tried three times to the dealership and they cannot duplicate the issue.

When I am idling in Drive stopped at a stop sign or something else with the air conditioner all the way on I can watch the RPM gauge go from right under a thousand RPMs to just over a thousand RPMs and it keeps doing this rapidly. I've captured a video to show that I'm not pressing the accelerator. I've shown this before to both the dealership and to a ram district manager who doesn't even know where to begin. My concern is that this is going to cause me a bigger issue down the road.

Here's the video

Hello,

We'd like to offer some assistance here. To clarify, were you given a case number? If so, please send us a private message with that case number. If not, please send us a private message with the date and location of your most recent appointment. Thank you.

Lex
Ram Cares

6of36

Reaction score
So you successfully taken over this thread making it seem like I have not done anything. Let me go ahead and set you straight since you seem to know every single thing about how everything works. If I bring the vehicle to a dealership and they don't offer to do anything or they say they are not going to service the vehicle then I'm going to contact Ram customer service. At that point a ticket is going to be opened and it's going to be assigned to a district manager in the area. The district manager will visit the dealership and then determine what course of action needs to be taken next. Choosing another dealership to bring the vehicle too was one out of necessity since this dealership is several miles closer to my home. It was actually Ram who suggested to do this. So next time whenever you jump the gun assume and make someone out to be a ******* maybe you should think. This is not about you this is about a problem with the vehicle. Leave your own feelings out of it.
I wasn't making you out to be an a$$hole, but you certainly have. I was just trying to give helpful information, from my experience as a Chrysler dealership mechanic, and also other manufacturer dealerships I have worked for, and the dealers I have gone to since being a mechanic. What I am stating is fact that they are supposed to service warranty repails regardles of where it was purchased, but with your attitude, I don't blame them from telling you don't ever come back.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really hope you get this figured out. Please let us know what the issue was. Might help others in the future.

BowDown

Reaction score

Check the hose clamp connecting the throttle body to the intake. Also check the throttle body bolts that attach it to the intake manifold, you're looking for un-metered air entering the system.

If those are good then I'd take the throttle body off the intake or open the blade and clean the housing opening where the blade is

Users who are viewing this thread