5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elon Musk calls Ram “puny”

Johnvan

Reaction score
I like Tesla and really wanted to love the model 3 but when I sat in one I wasn't overly impressed.
For the money I think the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is a good deal. I would be on electric 90% of the time and there would be no range anxiety for the longer trips.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our trucks in 4wd Low can get massive loads moving (Pulled a Expedition 5,700lb towing a 8,000lb boat up a algae covered 15 degree ramp he was stuck on with him in Neutral) and as a work truck and it is all about what you can accomplish. I pulled concrete support foundation posts out of the ground with my Air Suspension last week. Maybe not it's intended use but it worked and saved alot of digging and my back. The whole point is what this vehicle, that is your tool, can do for you. The Ram is a very capable tool indeed!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I guess when Musk releases his truck; he'll make a commercial towing an airplane with it to show how powerful it is. Then everyone will be impressed and want one. Except for those or us who work with airplanes and know that a person physically push one and get it rolling; or that we use 74 horsepower (220 ft-lb torque) tractors to move them around.

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
Electric vehicles in general don’t make a lot of sense in many places. I guess they run on nuclear waste and unicorn farts but most of the electricity here comes from burning natural gas or coal

Turin

Reaction score
He’s just following the Trump style of marketing but he is pandering to the “liberal” crowd here. He knows most Ram owners aren’t Tesla’s demographic so he’s not losing out there but calling out blue collar people and talking down on rural America he is playing right into rich hippies wheelhouse. They love when people hate on who they hate.
My interpretation is that it's just hyperbolic marketing. Trolling, really. Anyone with even a superficial knowledge of towing knows that getting a lot of weight moving isn't difficult; it's being able to control and stop it that matters. I don't doubt that the Tesla truck will be able to "tow" 300,000 lbs. What it's rated to tow will be another matter entirely, obviously.
Electric vehicles in general don’t make a lot of sense in many places. I guess they run on nuclear waste and unicorn farts but most of the electricity here comes from burning natural gas or coal
The upside of electric vehicles is that as power generation gets cleaner your vehicle becomes greener automatically without needing to wait for it to be replaced. Also, power plants — even gas/coal ones — are more efficient than your truck. (In the Carnot heat cycle sense; they're bigger and can run hotter.) The downside of electric vehicles — which proponents tend to ignore — is that mining the raw materials (lithium for batteries and rare earth minerals for magnets) is pretty horrible both environmentally and in terms of working conditions for the miners. (A lot of it comes from the DRC. Let's just say that OSHA doesn't operate there.)

That said, if I could magically replace my Ram with one that was identical except for being electric instead of having an ICE — same range, capabilities, etc., and if the infrastructure was in place to recharge as readily and as quickly as I can refuel — I'd happily do it.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol we will not have to listen to that jack *** for much longer. He cannot run a car company is too entitled to partner with a company that does and the competition in 2020 from high quality manufacturers unlike Tesla have their offerings out. Bye bye Elon

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
I don't need to haul a rocket. Camping gear, Kids and and a Roof Top Tent is fine. Plus mine is parked in the garage right now - and not on a drawing board. But the Rivian looks neat.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Until they can work out the range and recharge times, it's a hard pass for me.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's been my stance. I can get full range in less than 5 minutes. When an EV can do that, and there are chargers as numerous as gas stations (including rural availability), I'll be less concerned.

Exactly. Trucks are meant to work and haul stuff, range issues here are far more problematic than in a little city runabout you might use to go back and forth to work where you always drive the same amount and always have enough range and can fill up at home overnight. In the meantime, I'm more than happy to let the upper elite spend their cash on electric trucks to help drive volume up and prices down and maybe in 15 - 20 years it might be worth a second look.

PHANTUMRAM

Reaction score
Exactly. Trucks are meant to work and haul stuff, range issues here are far more problematic than in a little city runabout you might use to go back and forth to work where you always drive the same amount and always have enough range and can fill up at home overnight. In the meantime, I'm more than happy to let the upper elite spend their cash on electric trucks to help drive volume up and prices down and maybe in 15 - 20 years it might be worth a second look.
Tesla makes trucks?lol!

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
He has become such a tool bag. I have great respect for his engineers that do the heavy lifting for him.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Honestly, this is a non biased post.

I have my truck, I have a Mercedes A220 as a fun/sexy car, but that isn't so expensive for a German luxury car. Honestly, I should have picked up a Tesla Model 3. I was test driving them for a few months at different areas, almost bought a used Model S at Covert instead of my Ram. Now, I wish I picked up the Tesla over the Mercedes

The convenience factor is merely a change. If you spend $500 and get a semi supercharger in your home, then your home is a gas station and the habit is just like charging your phone, except you need to do it only on long trips or once or twice a week (for my daily driving). I factored all the overall costs of owning one and it's actually far cheaper than both the RAM and the Mercedes just because of fuel costs. I'm getting ready to move to California and wish I had it more given that EVERYTHING there is super expensive which makes this much easier on me. Maintenance isn't actually as bad as what people make it out to be. A lot of people rag on luxury cars breaking down and how 'expensive' they are to maintain. Yeah, that's partly true, when you take it in, it's definitely more expensive.

My Mercedes only needs to be taken in once a year, for anything except maybe the tires. My Ram needs to be serviced about what, once every 4-5K miles for an oil change. In my area, Tesla comes to you for service and you can get the first few years included if you don't order online. Which the whole experience is a no-frills and no negotiating etc. You get a simple APR if financed through them and a simple price.

Does it have its concerns/problems, most definitely - but I really like the market they're pushing. No gimmicks were anywhere other than the marketing of features that aren't what they are all out to be. But as a daily driver and the awesome OTA updates, it's pretty cool. The rear seats of the Model 3 can fit 3 adults actually. Instant torque for passing in lanes was great. Autopilot is light years above our Lane keep assist.

I live in San Antonio and the heat is brutal. They have a dog mode where the vehicle still keeps AC on, but it's not really running and puts a big sign on the 15" screen that the dog is fine, AC is on etc.

The experience isn't exactly German luxury by any means, but it's better than most all of any other competitors. I picked the Mercedes for the name, for the luxuriousness and the interior/exterior experience. My vehicle has the new MBUX infotainment and it's basically Siri/google in your car, controlling your vehicle's functions. Also has augmented reality for navigation where the camera pops up and shows you EXACTLY on the road you need to turn and it's super accurate.

Most of the American vehicles for infotainment are gimmicky or just very lack-luster. I loved my 12" screen in my Ram, but using it was not intuitive and mostly for the "wow, look at my screen" ego rather than practicality use. Navigation was useless by voice unless I knew EXACTLY the address I needed, or I had it favorited.

In the MBUX system, I can just say "Mercedes, navigate to the nearest Best Buy" and poof, does just that. Or I can say "I'm craving Thai food" and it'll come up with a list and you say which one you want.

I can tell her to open the sunshade, turn on/off the reading lights, ambient lighting, ask fuel consumption like "How many miles do I have left on my tank" and poof "You have 226 miles left before fill up"
The maps will show when/where it's raining, temperature, gas prices for my actual gas price (premium/93) and it's all up-to-date.

I really want a Rivian if the driving experience is as good as Teslas and offers somewhat of a good polished experience with infotainment because honestly, this is where the American market sucks donkey at.

Sorry for the long post lol, kinda rambled there ;)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
He has become such a tool bag. I have great respect for his engineers that do the heavy lifting for him.

He has his bad side, just like every human. But no other person in our current time has done so much; started paypal, started Tesla, started SpaceX (rocket company), also has his fingers in solar panels etc etc. You can say "engineers are doing the heavy lifting", but that is extremely short sighted. There are engineers all over the world, but only Elon has done the above, has channeled all that innovation, and been so disruptive in so many large, well entrenched industries.

Sorry, I don't buy into the hate, in his own way the man is a Genius and is far above the likes of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
He has his bad side, just like every human. But no other person in our current time has done so much; started paypal, started Tesla, started SpaceX (rocket company), also has his fingers in solar panels etc etc. You can say "engineers are doing the heavy lifting", but that is extremely short sighted. There are engineers all over the world, but only Elon has done the above, has channeled all that innovation, and been so disruptive in so many large, well entrenched industries.

Sorry, I don't buy into the hate, in his own way the man is a Genius and is far above the likes of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc.

I agree - I think parts of his "ego" are good. He's willing to go head to head with people that say "It can't be done" much like what Steve/Bill did in the past. He's competing well outgunned and maybe he's not exactly "Revolutizing" anything, but he's showing that it's not impossible to do what he's doing and change the market views.

Turin

Reaction score
I don't doubt that the Tesla truck will be able to "tow" 300,000 lbs. What it's rated to tow will be another matter entirely, obviously.
We have our answer now. The Cybertruck (which looks like an El Camino designed by someone enamored with the design aesthetic of the F-117 but preferring the color scheme of a DeLorean) will be rated at 7500/10,000/14,000 lbs depending on the configuration.

Techcrunch article: Behold, the Tesla Cybertruck is here

Users who are viewing this thread