5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elocker or antislip

xelementx1

Reaction score
was wondering if when elocker was out of the speed range does it act like an antislip or you become open ?

also another quick question on the limited the wooden part of the wheel does it also heat like the leather part thanks in advance !
1f609.png
1f60e.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The elocker would just act as an open diff when it's out of its speed range. I can also tell you the wooden part of the Limited and Longhorn steering wheels is heated as well.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Glad this came up. On the build, they have the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle or the E-Locker Rear Axle which you can only get with the Off-Road package. What is the difference and if you didn't get the Off-Road package would you want the Anti-Spin? Is this like Traction control?

ryelinek

Reaction score
A limited slip applies torque to the wheel with traction when the other wheel slips. A locker locks both wheels together or when you get stuck. Two different ways to get traction. Personally, most people won't ever need more than a limited slip.

I ordered mine with the anti slip just for better rain, snow, and slick conditions. Besides I don’t plan on going off-roading in my Limited. It’s my luxury truck hahah.

All depends on what you want it for. The off-road package comes with the e lock for pretty much that reason.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
e-locker is better for traction and or getting stuck but if you can't afford the e-locker or dont want the off road package then at least get the anti-slip.

NortherLee

Reaction score
I was at a dealership a few weeks back asking if one was restricted to purchasing options in packages. Their indication was that in some cases one could "cherry pick" individual components of an option package. I was shown the dealer's spreadsheet list of order codes. The dealership indicated they had a lot more leeway for creating a custom order than what the online build sheet provides. My experience with limited slip has been this: It is reluctant to engage at low temperatures where one naturally expects such to perform. Traction control, on the other hand, is smarter than that. It will activate independently at each wheel based solely on traction needs regardless of climate or circumstances. I expect our Ram's traction control to be no less effective than what we experienced in our '89 AWD Ford Aerostar (that vehicle's most reliable asset!).

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont believe your first statement is true. I did a custom order at my dealership with their GM and sat at his computer. The dealership uses a web page to make the custom order just like "we" all have on ram.com build your own truck website. What you see on the website currently is what you can order and how you can order it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NortherLee said:
I was at a dealership a few weeks back asking if one was restricted to purchasing options in packages. Their indication was that in some cases one could "cherry pick" individual components of an option package. I was shown the dealer's spreadsheet list of order codes. The dealership indicated they had a lot more leeway for creating a custom order than what the online build sheet provides. My experience with limited slip has been this: It is reluctant to engage at low temperatures where one naturally expects such to perform. Traction control, on the other hand, is smarter than that. It will activate independently at each wheel based solely on traction needs regardless of climate or circumstances. I expect our Ram's traction control to be no less effective than what we experienced in our '89 AWD Ford Aerostar (that vehicle's most reliable asset!).
I also heard limited slip sometimes won't work in cold weather and thats when you need it

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it this way. A limited slip is probably not going to help you when you need it.

The Elocker is a must have for me. If you back a trailer up hill on a slippy surface the ability to not put in 4wheel drive to help steering will be enough to make the Elocker worth it.

Just my opinion...
1f609.png

xelementx1

Reaction score
I see ... just to let you know im from Quebec city Canada about 4 month of lot of snow storm and cold climate up to -40c at some occasion i always had anti slip 4wd before but now. Im not sure what i really need /want haha ??

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
alacombe said:
...What you see on the website currently is what you can order and how you can order it.
We've covered this in another thread...but I hope this comment isn't completely accurate. If the "Build & Price" site is to be believed, I cannot configure a Laramie Longhorn with an air suspension without also being forced to get the Trailer-Tow Group (meaning that I'll end up with tow mirrors and lose the Surround View capability). Truly hoping that's a mistake. Sorry for hijacking this discussion...carry on!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SpeedyV said:
We've covered this in another thread...but I hope this comment isn't completely accurate. If the "Build & Price" site is to be believed, I cannot configure a Laramie Longhorn with an air suspension without also being forced to get the Trailer-Tow Group (meaning that I'll end up with tow mirrors and lose the Surround View capability). Truly hoping that's a mistake. Sorry for hijacking this discussion...carry on!
In regards to the E-Locker as we are discussing in this thread. See the title

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm placing an order today Limited 2019. Not sure if I should add Anti-slip or eLocker or none. Live in NY so snow is not an issue but I will be pulling a 31' travel trailer on to the beaches all summer. Sand is soft driving through the cut in the dunes. Would either help with wheel spin in the sand? I air down so it's never been an issue with my Avalanche, you just keep momentum and don't gun it. It will always be in 4WD

Would either of these really be needed? Would any situation require the investment? And which? Info helps. I'm factory ordering today.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
If it wasn't an issue for your Avalanche it most likely won't be for your Ram. I chose neither and just use the 4wd / 4wd low and that is more than enough for me. I tow a 5000 lb 22'boat and launch it at the boat ramp. I have a limited with 3.21. Buying stuff you'll never need just doesn't make sense to me. My car is never going to be off road or I'll never put too much stuff in the bed. Heck, my 1995 tahoe towed the boat just fine, the RAM will be sure to do it better.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I was planning but got caught in the "well it's there..." Sound I buy. I agree with why spend the money, I'm not driving in the desert, Rubicon, or in the military in Afghanistan. For beach driving it's more air down and know how to drive - smooth on the gas and keep momentum. But was wondering that if for $400 more????

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Capt Joe

Reaction score
I was in that situation and I had to step back and say "Where does my optioning stop" and "what do I really need vs. what the internet tells me I need". If you think you'll use it, buy it. Make a list of Must Haves. For me it was Adaptive cruise, Ramboxes, Sunroof, 12" screen, Delmonico Red, Heated and Ventilated rear seats for the kids and it had to be able to tow my 5000lb boat sitting on my 1000lb trailer. Then I searched all the dealerships websites within 200 miles of my hometown near Philadelphia (there were a LOT) and actually found the car 150 miles away in Timonium Maryland.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree exactly I'm thinking well skid plates would be good because I'm off road but then I'm on soft beach sand and never bottomed out because it's not bouncing but instead plowing through like a boat pushing through the soft said. Then I'm looking at the e locker and the anti-slip thinking would these be better but the reality is I'm just driving straight with minimal turns on soft sand and then backing a trailer up against the dune. If I start to slip I just pull forward straighten out and back up again. So again I'm thinking I won't need either of those. It's so tough to not get all the bells and whistles on a truck that you're getting all the bells and whistles on. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Capt Joe

Reaction score
True, but my thinking was that there are 4 skid plates that are part of the off road group. Thats all that I would be interested in in that group so If some day I feel I need or want them I just go buy them and bolt them on....most like will never need em'

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I have both. The elocker is cool. Used it once. The traction control/antislip is awesome and gets used everytime I accelerate from a stop or come around a corner on icy/snowy roads. I actually had to shut it off a few times so I can have a little fun in the snow. It’s really, really effective on slick roads. No problems here when it was -30 this winter.

Rich

Reaction score
True, but my thinking was that there are 4 skid plates that are part of the off road group. Thats all that I would be interested in in that group so If some day I feel I need or want them I just go buy them and bolt them on....most like will never need em'

Technically, even though the ORG describes "4 skid plates", there are only 3 of them installed on the truck. It appears the front one does double duty, but the description sounds like the trucks should come with 4 different skid plates. You will only find 3 if you lift the truck and look.

Users who are viewing this thread