5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel power bump?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler “JL” has been confirmed to be getting the Ecodiesel. The interesting part about that is that it has been rated at 260hp and 442lb ft of torque. The Ecodiesel in the 2014-2018 “DS” Rams is rated at 240hp and 420lb ft of torque.

I think it would be a fair assumption that the 2019 Ram Ecodiesel will match the Wranglers numbers of 260hp and 442lb ft, giving a nice bump for the Ram’s especially if we see some of the rumoured weight savings in the new truck.

relic

Reaction score
well you know how the big 3 are always one-upping each other with the big diesels...I suspect this will follow suit.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats exactly whats going on, the EcoDiesel will be out in the 2020 Model year and at the show Manley said they'll beat whatever numbers GM throws down with their new 3.0 Duramax diesel. Should get interesting.

rsg1963

Reaction score
Gotta love competition, we usually benefit. Waiting for the Eco-Diesel means I have to wait another year? Urrrrggghhh! The pain, the PAIN!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
rsg1963 said:
Gotta love competition, we usually benefit. Waiting for the Eco-Diesel means I have to wait another year? Urrrrggghhh! The pain, the PAIN!
Competition definitely benefits us. Unfortunately yes, sometime during calendar year 2019 for the EcoDiesel.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram CEO Mike Manley, has already said publicly when the 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel hits the market it will be the most powerful and fuel efficent diesel in the class.

indefatigable

Reaction score
I have a friend with the Eco-Diesel. Great truck. I doubt 20 more horses will make much difference.
It does not keep up to my Hemi; but he can pull out bigger tree stumps!

D

Deleted member 85

In the same vein that the Pentastar has different outputs in the trucks versus the cars/suvs, I see the EcoDiesel actually having higher specs in the Ram than the Wrangler.

Current Pentastar - 283-285 hp in passenger cars/vans/suvs or 305 hp in the Rams.

My 2 cents

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
BobbiBigWheels said:
In the same vein that the Pentastar has different outputs in the trucks versus the cars/suvs, I see the EcoDiesel actually having higher specs in the Ram than the Wrangler.

Current Pentastar - 283-285 hp in passenger cars/vans/suvs or 305 hp in the Rams.

My 2 cents
I agree 100%

Chirp08

Reaction score
BobbiBigWheels said:

My 2 cents
There has been a 271hp/440ftlbs spec of the VM A630 for years now.. The new Wrangler is pretty close to that spec so I doubt we'd see much more from the Ram. Since the Ford 3.0 is at 250/440 itself I expect we'll get the existing 271/440 version. GM has already said they expect to out perform the Ford so it will be interesting if Ram manages to find even more power and increased fuel economy.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chirp08 said:
There has been a 271hp/440ftlbs spec of the VM A630 for years now.. The new Wrangler is pretty close to that spec so I doubt we'd see much more from the Ram. Since the Ford 3.0 is at 250/440 itself I expect we'll get the existing 271/440 version. GM has already said they expect to out perform the Ford so it will be interesting if Ram manages to find even more power and increased fuel economy.
According to my sources... all I can say, is Ram will make people flip there lid with the numbers they are squeezing out of Ecodiesel for the DT trucks. Horsepower, torque and MPG!

Helipilot2

Reaction score
As long as that Etorque setup is optional, I will buy a 5th gen Eco. Can't wait to see how much more GDE and PPEI will be able to squeeze out of them on top of the bumps from the dealer. Should be able to put down some nice numbers with a full delete, FMIC, CAI, catch can, and trans tune. Then to get the compound setup from Espos.

Fraser588

Reaction score
The A630 VM engine used as the Ecodiesel was also used with FCA's Maserati Ghibli (euro version) ; small changes were made to the diesel engine, I believe it was 260hp, major change was a ball bearing (billet wheel?) turbocharger.

It was remarked I think by GDE you could "upgrade" top this turbo but was showing a price of around $5500 for this part number. They mention "low friction" turbocharger as the 2019 ecodiesel ram upgrade, to lower the friction you would need dual ball bearings.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
The A630 VM engine used as the Ecodiesel was also used with FCA's Maserati Ghibli (euro version) ; small changes were made to the diesel engine, I believe it was 260hp, major change was a ball bearing (billet wheel?) turbocharger.

It was remarked I think by GDE you could "upgrade" top this turbo but was showing a price of around $5500 for this part number. They mention "low friction" turbocharger as the 2019 ecodiesel ram upgrade, to lower the friction you would need dual ball bearings.
According to Wikipedia, the variant of the A630 used in the Euro Ghibli has specs of 271 hp and 443 lb-ft. Both are decent bumps over the 2018 Ram's 240 hp and 420 lb-ft, and are also bumps over Ford's 250 hp and 440 lb-ft...it'd be nice if those specs, or even better specs, would appear on this side of the pond!

No idea if it's feasible with the A630 architecture, but I'd love to see the 2020 Eco come in around 285 hp and 460 lb-ft. If the Eco had been available this year, I'd most likely have ordered it instead of the v6, no matter what it's final specs are.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we will see at least the 260hp 442lb ft that the Wrangler is getting or more, but I'm not sure how much more it's got in it.

habu987

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of Euro engines have slightly higher hp/torque figures than their North American counterparts. I'm assuming it's due to stricter emissions requirements on this side of the kiddie pool.

Going into pure conjecture, I wonder if Ram/VM Motori would ever look at a TTV6 diesel? I know Audi has a Euro 3.0 TTV6 TDI that has 315 hp and 479 lb-ft, it'd be impressive if Ram managed to get that kind of performance out of its diesel.

IV.f

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of Euro engines have slightly higher hp/torque figures than their North American counterparts. I'm assuming it's due to stricter emissions requirements on this side of the kiddie pool.

Going into pure conjecture, I wonder if Ram/VM Motori would ever look at a TTV6 diesel? I know Audi has a Euro 3.0 TTV6 TDI that has 315 hp and 479 lb-ft, it'd be impressive if Ram managed to get that kind of performance out of its diesel.

I would like to see some type of twin turbo set up with ~300 HP & ~500 TQ - pretty effective, as you add a very large turbo for huge top end gains; I believe we could do the similar numbers, within our US emission regulations.

There are a few non US engines that make huge gains with multiple turbos:
  • Ford 2.0 TT I-4 (~210HP & ~369TQ)
  • BWM Quad and Tri Turbo 3.0 I-6 (~381-394HP & ~546-591TQ)
Just really expensive to do.

habu987

Reaction score

Building on this, I was just reading about the 3.0 diesel Ford has. Different versions used in the Euro Land Rover Sport have up to 302 hp and 550 lb-ft. I assume it's definitely an emissions/price to North Americanize issue as to why the pickup truck market over here doesn't get some of the more powerful Euro diesel powertrains.

srm3500

Reaction score
Hmmmm my guess then is 270HP and 475-500 FT-lb with and EPA rating of 32MPG

(IMO it may be hard to beat the I6 duramax for torque)

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my sources... all I can say, is Ram will make people flip there lid with the numbers they are squeezing out of Ecodiesel for the DT trucks. Horsepower, torque and MPG!
cant wait !

Users who are viewing this thread