5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E Torque - Auto stop and start

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be curious to drive a '22 based on this statement. I've driven several cars with stop/start, and my the S/S on my truck is by far the smoothest. It's not even close. I'm not sure how much more smoothly they could make the system. Not that I'd keep it enabled though.
My wife's Traverse takes half a second to come back on when you release the brake. The S/S on my truck is so ridiculously fast and smooth, you can't even tell it happened.

Bavet

Reaction score
Hey all,

2022 Ram 1500 with the Hemi E-Torque. Anyone that has this setup, does your vehicle actually cut off/stop before you have come to a complete stop? I will be rolling to a stop say in heavy traffic and the dang thing cuts off. Any other vehicle I've ever driven that has that auto stop/start has always shut off after I've been to a complete stop for at least a couple seconds. I'm wondering if there is an adjustment that needs to be made or if that is just how the Ram does it. I really don't care for it and usually remember to turn it off every time I start the truck. I wouldn't mind it as much if it worked differently.
My truck does this exact same thing. My 2019 did not act like this. It is most irritating when creeping into my garage or slowly pulling into a parking space. Rolling stops are impossible. I do not like it and if I'd known the 2022's were engineered to act this way as some have stated I would not have gotten eTorque. I based my decision on my 2019 performance. I have an appointment at the dealer next week to document this issue. I feel it can be a safety issue too. Because it is an eTorque it does have some launch capability which can be an issue in a garage or tight parking space. Radio on, truck unexpectedly stops rolling and you don't know why so you slowly release the brakes, eTorque restarts the engine and launches you into the car in front of you or the tool box in your garage before you realize what's happening. Poor design if true.

Usmc041127

Reaction score
Hey all,

2022 Ram 1500 with the Hemi E-Torque. Anyone that has this setup, does your vehicle actually cut off/stop before you have come to a complete stop? I will be rolling to a stop say in heavy traffic and the dang thing cuts off. Any other vehicle I've ever driven that has that auto stop/start has always shut off after I've been to a complete stop for at least a couple seconds. I'm wondering if there is an adjustment that needs to be made or if that is just how the Ram does it. I really don't care for it and usually remember to turn it off every time I start the truck. I wouldn't mind it as much if it worked differently.
Mine shuts off at stop and refires when I let off the brake. I like it and didn't really take any getting use to. Its my first engine like this.

Tinshield

Reaction score
It definitely stops while rolling sometimes but I don’t find it to be an issue, for the most part.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck does this exact same thing. My 2019 did not act like this. It is most irritating when creeping into my garage or slowly pulling into a parking space. Rolling stops are impossible. I do not like it and if I'd known the 2022's were engineered to act this way as some have stated I would not have gotten eTorque. I based my decision on my 2019 performance. I have an appointment at the dealer next week to document this issue. I feel it can be a safety issue too. Because it is an eTorque it does have some launch capability which can be an issue in a garage or tight parking space. Radio on, truck unexpectedly stops rolling and you don't know why so you slowly release the brakes, eTorque restarts the engine and launches you into the car in front of you or the tool box in your garage before you realize what's happening. Poor design if true.
I back into my garage so haven't experienced what you're talking about, but can see how that might be an issue pulling straight in.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i think i'll like my 21 even more that doesn't shutoff until stopped. or push the button that keeps it running when needed

Tinshield

Reaction score
Worst thing about eTorque is the brake modulation.

Last edited:

Klicht87

Reaction score
Yeah in theory only. Those figures are far off from actual mpgs on these Rams.
Not to get on the gas mileage topic but those numbers are exactly what I get on my 2021 laramie with e-torque.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Every time I try driving like that I lose patience with the people in front of me who insist on driving below the speed limit. Until we get to a passing zone, where they speed up until the next no passing zone. That's the point when I decide to pass them on the next passing zone and there goes my fuel economy. :ROFLMAO:

Klicht87

Reaction score
Every time I try driving like that I lose patience with the people in front of me who insist on driving below the speed limit. Until we get to a passing zone, where they speed up until the next no passing zone. That's the point when I decide to pass them on the next passing zone and there goes my fuel economy. :ROFLMAO:
My truck does it's best around 68-69mph. Up here in Connecticut, highway speed limits are 65, although you can fly passed a copy doing 90 and still not get pulled over.

Users who are viewing this thread