5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E Torque - Auto stop and start

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never seen that 49 lb-ft number in anything i've read about it, nor have i seen that 130 (which i mistyped as 134**) as having to do with anything but the power the EG has.

That’s because 49 lb-ft doesn’t sound sexy for marketing to persuade people

Hemi’s BSG is made by Magneti Marelli that makes 16 hp/ 49 lb-ft and uses a belt-driven gear to multiply the torque output at ~2.65:1

(Pentastar’s BSG is made by Continental and makes 12 hp/39 lb-ft)

Claiming “130 lb-ft” is like saying the 5.7L Hemi produces 1,607 lb-ft
(410 lb-ft * 3.92 in 1:1 sixth gear)

The axle gear and transmission gears also multiply engine output but promoting those #’s is not the norm

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense, But this made Me very sad to learn. and I hate you now.

Ok, I don’t actually hate you. But I did die a little inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah i have a Rebel G/T with it and its actually pretty cool IMO since there's no "starter wind" noise... the eTorque starts the engine and its just.... on again... and with a cat back you get sort of a pop back to life from the engine, which i'm hoping surprises the peeps right behind you at the stop sign or light hahaha, but its not obnoxious, and not as loud as a cold start.

I will say depending on temps and conditions i have noticed it shutting off before i stop rolling and shutting off when i've been stopped for 2-3 seconds so it does what it wants based on its given parameters... which can be a bit annoying, but tis designed to act that way so i try not to worry about it much... i will also say tho, that i have gotten in the habit of hitting the button as i pull into my driveway tho because yes, slowing down to get thru the garage doorway it has turned off and restarted a few times and that is actually SUPER annoying. but it's just my sequence now... homelink button then start/stop button, no biggie.. yet.

And start offs are ok..not ALWAYS seamless but 2 things need to be said...
1. There is no "lunge forward" from the EG.. it just helps you with more low-end torque on the start of the roll than the hemi can produce at 0-5 mph, and when the hemi's torque curve matches the EG, there's a handoff but its so fast you can't really notice it.
2. It does not ADD any torque to the engine... these engines are rated the same whether it's a reg Hemi, or an eTorque hemi, or an eTorque hemi with a CAI and a Cat back. What it does is assist the launch ONLY for the first half turn of the wheels on start off with an immediate 130 lbs-ft of torque, which the gas engine cannot do from a dead stop. But once the Gas engine catches up on its torque curve, and the hand-off happens, the EG no longer participates in power or acceleration other than to smooth out shifting both up and down, which, btw is much more amazing than i had expected and than anyone really talks about... it feels ALMOST like a CVT, but sounds and tach's like normal.

What's really weird to me is getting an awkward start stop event, and the feeling of hitting the accelerator to go, just as the engine decides to turn off... because the etorque reacts to the accelerator and launches you while the engine goes off and right back on and theres a bit of a hiccup in the handshake... but i notice that less when i don't baby it on start offs... but it's a definite anomaly in the system, i wonder if they'll ever change anything about that with software now that its like an almost 4 yr old system.
I installed a G/T exhaust today and definitely noticed the pop when the motor comes back to life with start/stop. Not sure I like the sound of it.

So far mine seems to be calibrated well and only shuts off at 0 mph. Seems like about a 1/2 second delay when stopped which seems about right.

One thing I noticed is when in start/stop after the motor starts back up my throttle response is very good. Guessing that’s the e-torque assist getting the truck rolling from a stop. When I have start/stop disabled from a dead stop with moderate throttle my truck stumbles a bit at the start then catches up and takes off. That has me concerned there might be an issue there that needs to be addressed. Anybody else experience this?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hmmmm :unsure::unsure: I haven't noticed that myself, but then i haven't been looking for it, and i leave the SS on all the time... the only time i've gotten in the habit of turning it off is when puling into my driveway, and into the garage. But i thought the eTorque launch assist thing happens whether or not the engine shuts off at a stop, not 100% sure tho.

I did just have that Z49 recall done on it, but that was for the chance that the engine might not start back up after a stop shutdown (which i never experienced, but its only a software update) and nothing has really changed about how it behaves that i can tell. And on days where i'm NOT really cranking the AC, it still does the rolling shutoffs, which i'm just used to now.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I installed a G/T exhaust today and definitely noticed the pop when the motor comes back to life with start/stop. Not sure I like the sound of it.

So far mine seems to be calibrated well and only shuts off at 0 mph. Seems like about a 1/2 second delay when stopped which seems about right.

One thing I noticed is when in start/stop after the motor starts back up my throttle response is very good. Guessing that’s the e-torque assist getting the truck rolling from a stop. When I have start/stop disabled from a dead stop with moderate throttle my truck stumbles a bit at the start then catches up and takes off. That has me concerned there might be an issue there that needs to be addressed. Anybody else experience this?
You could try disabling the Hill Start Assist in Settings->Safety And Driver Assistance.

Dewey

Reaction score
You could try disabling the Hill Start Assist in Settings->Safety And Driver Assistance.
With the BackCountry package I have a Hill Start Assist button on the dash. Haven’t had that turned on. Will it still make a difference if turned off in the settings?

Snekpete

Reaction score
With the BackCountry package I have a Hill Start Assist button on the dash. Haven’t had that turned on. Will it still make a difference if turned off in the settings?
I would give it a try. I could not find any mention of a dash button for Hill Start Assist on any RAM. Are you sure that the button you're thinking of isn't the Hill Descent Control button? That is quite different.

HDC.png

Dewey

Reaction score
I would give it a try. I could not find any mention of a dash button for Hill Start Assist on any RAM. Are you sure that the button you're thinking of isn't the Hill Descent Control button? That is quite different.

View attachment 132020
Your right. I confused the two.

Snekpete

Reaction score
In looking at all this I learned something new about my truck, RAB and RBS. Man there is a LOT of sh1t that can go wrong, or make you think that it's going wrong.

HSA.png

RAB.png

RBS.png

Dewey

Reaction score
I love my autostop eliminator. Worth every penny to me.
I couldn’t take it anymore and ordered one. Now I can turn it off and forget it.

I’m not a fan of that stop/start crap at all. My biggest regret is not ordering a Hemi without eTorque by the time I decided to change my order I was told it was to late. In hindsight wish I had cancelled that order and reordered what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread