5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E Torque - Auto stop and start

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered a Backcountry a few weeks ago with E-Torque but now having second thoughts and thinking about changing the order to the standard Hemi without. After researching it more I’m just not sure E-Torque is for me.

I was under the understanding that Stop/Start could be permanently disabled by turning off but sounds like it needs to be turned off at each start up when driving….correct?

It would be great if it drastically improved fuel economy but seems like more of a gimmick than anything else and doesn’t add much plus concerns about future expensive repairs to costly replacement parts that otherwise wouldn’t be needed.

Sounds like others are conflicted as well. Decisions……Decisions🤔

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I ordered a Backcountry a few weeks ago with E-Torque but now having second thoughts and thinking about changing the order to the standard Hemi without. After researching it more I’m just not sure E-Torque is for me.

I was under the understanding that Stop/Start could be permanently disabled by turning off but sounds like it needs to be turned off at each start up when driving….correct?

It would be great if it drastically improved fuel economy but seems like more of a gimmick than anything else and doesn’t add much plus concerns about future expensive repairs to costly replacement parts that otherwise wouldn’t be needed.

I wasn’t excited about the eTorque to begin with, but when I found out the regular Hemi didn’t even have stop/start, it was an easy decision for me. Now all I have to do is disable the stupid MDS.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fuel economy might not even be top 5 for why I like the system, but mine is pretty good. :LOL:

20220327_141240.jpg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Start showing your trip meter. Not that horribly inaccurate screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myramtrx

Reaction score

I have the E-Torque and the transition from not running to moving again is seamless. The electric motor starts and you do not know it from the engine running and then transitions to the engine. The electric motor also make some of the shifts between gears much smoother. It is a very smart system. It also adds a bit of torque.

Dewey

Reaction score
I have the E-Torque and the transition from not running to moving again is seamless. The electric motor starts and you do not know it from the engine running and then transitions to the engine. The electric motor also make some of the shifts between gears much smoother. It is a very smart system. It also adds a bit of torque.
I plan on adding an aftermarket exhaust that’s much louder than stock. Wondering how annoying the Start/Stop would be based on this. Seems it would be so much more noticeable in that case versus a quiet stock exhaust.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s working as expected to save as much fuel as possible to try and meet their window sticker specs.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's true, but you can disable it by installing an autostop eliminator. The button on the dash still works to enable it if you want, but when you turn it off with the button you won't have to turn it off every time you start the engine after that.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
One question. How is this installed? Does it need to be wired in or just plug and play?
Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go on their website. It shows installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klicht87

Reaction score
I plan on adding an aftermarket exhaust that’s much louder than stock. Wondering how annoying the Start/Stop would be based on this. Seems it would be so much more noticeable in that case versus a quiet stock exhaust.
I have the AWE with e-torque start/stop. You do hear it start but it's not like a cold start loud. You get used to it.

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah i have a Rebel G/T with it and its actually pretty cool IMO since there's no "starter wind" noise... the eTorque starts the engine and its just.... on again... and with a cat back you get sort of a pop back to life from the engine, which i'm hoping surprises the peeps right behind you at the stop sign or light hahaha, but its not obnoxious, and not as loud as a cold start.

I will say depending on temps and conditions i have noticed it shutting off before i stop rolling and shutting off when i've been stopped for 2-3 seconds so it does what it wants based on its given parameters... which can be a bit annoying, but tis designed to act that way so i try not to worry about it much... i will also say tho, that i have gotten in the habit of hitting the button as i pull into my driveway tho because yes, slowing down to get thru the garage doorway it has turned off and restarted a few times and that is actually SUPER annoying. but it's just my sequence now... homelink button then start/stop button, no biggie.. yet.

And start offs are ok..not ALWAYS seamless but 2 things need to be said...
1. There is no "lunge forward" from the EG.. it just helps you with more low-end torque on the start of the roll than the hemi can produce at 0-5 mph, and when the hemi's torque curve matches the EG, there's a handoff but its so fast you can't really notice it.
2. It does not ADD any torque to the engine... these engines are rated the same whether it's a reg Hemi, or an eTorque hemi, or an eTorque hemi with a CAI and a Cat back. What it does is assist the launch ONLY for the first half turn of the wheels on start off with an immediate 130 lbs-ft of torque, which the gas engine cannot do from a dead stop. But once the Gas engine catches up on its torque curve, and the hand-off happens, the EG no longer participates in power or acceleration other than to smooth out shifting both up and down, which, btw is much more amazing than i had expected and than anyone really talks about... it feels ALMOST like a CVT, but sounds and tach's like normal.

What's really weird to me is getting an awkward start stop event, and the feeling of hitting the accelerator to go, just as the engine decides to turn off... because the etorque reacts to the accelerator and launches you while the engine goes off and right back on and theres a bit of a hiccup in the handshake... but i notice that less when i don't baby it on start offs... but it's a definite anomaly in the system, i wonder if they'll ever change anything about that with software now that its like an almost 4 yr old system.

Last edited:

Bavet

Reaction score

Like I said in an earlier post, I had eTorque in my 2019 and I liked it. I do not like it in my 2022 because of the fact that most of the time it shuts down the motor before it comes to a complete stop. Though I'm getting used to shutting the system off before I enter my garage, it's annoying that I even have to do this. My dealer is making a Star Case out of it so we will see what Ram says. Had I known that it was going to act this way I would NOT have gotten it. Now I feel I'm just carrying around the weight of a junk system that Ram ruined trying to increase their CAFE numbers. Change your order if you can.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5.7L’s BSG produces 49 lb-ft of torque.

The advertised 130 lb-ft is achieved through gear reduction.
OK so, not that i'm one to disagree about a system I don't fully understand as i am not mechanical engineer, or a mechanic, but i understand what you just said even less :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . I've never seen that 49 lb-ft number in anything i've read about it, nor have i seen that 130 (which i mistyped as 134**) as having to do with anything but the power the EG has. But again, i don't know what the phrase "is achieved thru gear reduction" means.

Like the below was from one article i've read:

"It provides a brief torque boost of 90 lb-ft in V-6 RAMs and 130 lb-ft in V-8 models. Along with adding torque during shifts, it contributes torque while transitioning in and out of four-cylinder mode during V-8 cylinder deactivation. The eTorque system restarts the engine and resumes forward motion within 70 milliseconds after an auto-stop. An interactive deceleration fuel shut-off system also saves fuel."

and this is how i understand it... it assists the ICE at low rpms. (this again is NOT me trying to argue... just explaining how i understand it, and why i do not understand what you just posted. so if you could explain that a little more, i'm actually very interested to know.)

1648918988981.png

I should also say this is not my graph... i snipped that from one of the vids i was watching about it... 😬

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread