5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drove a 2020 tonight for an hour or so...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
As far as your review I would have to disagree with most of it, but then again it’s only my opinion. My Limited is Diamond Black with the 5.7Hemi, Off-road, Pkg1, No Glass Roof and is honestly the best designed truck I’ve ever owned!

All I've driven are F-series for the last 20 years. They're bland and boring now to me. While the Ram is better looking, it has a lot of issues that could be easily solved with better quality control. They could take a very good truck and make it great. Every single one I've started on the dealer's lots has clacked and ticked until it warmed up a bit. About half have had a skip until they warmed up. All the electronic and electric issues talked about here and elsewhere are troubling not that they exist, but that they still exist 2+ years after they were first reported to exist.

Just some of the issues reported consistently since the intro of the DT that I've read about

Mirrors don't return to position from reverse lowering
Interior lights don't light when truck is turned off
Wind noise passenger rear (vents)
Uconnect issues, many and ongoing
Backup cameras issues
Droning noise caused by Electonic Sound Deadening
Vibration when 4 cyl system kicks in (Eco mode light)
No walk away locking
Brakes squealing especially in reverse
Cracking bezel around int rear window and water leaks
Wind noise over 70 mph
Cracked rear window bezels
Water leaks into cabin
Rattles, clicks, noises from clips, etc in interior

Everything in this list could be corrected by QC with very little effort. That effort would make this truck unbeatable, for now, in this segment. Ford's 2021 redesign, slated for mid 2020 release is likely going to overtake Ram's current advantages which is likely why FAC is discounting these trucks so heavily and sitting on huge, unshipped inventory. They want to knock ford off the best selling truck platform, but I don't think they can do it.

Glad you like your truck. We always seem to love what we have right until we don't. You're the perfect example, by your own admission. Hope it remains your current favorite.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My impression of the 2019 Ram was such that I left a lifetime of Ford Trucks but more importantly a 30 year relationship with the local Ford Dealer less than 10 minutes from the house, and a truly professional service department. Leaving those Friends in Service to buy something, anything was something I never entertained or thought possible.

But the ultra comfortable ride, quietness, NASCAR road hugging, smooth power, remarkable engineered design and built, and awesome looks was a game changer, and honestly None of the other Truck Manufactures comes close! Comfort was the most important consideration in my case due to medical issues. Had the Ram been close to the F-150 in comfort, I would have just kept my 2013 Platinum. It only had 42K miles and was in showroom condition. We just made a 2100 mile trip, in my Ram Limited, average MPG 18, most importantly, I had absolutely no Truck induced neck, back or spine pain or discomfort! Unlike my F-150 when I was almost hospitalized after a 520 mile trip to TN.

As far as your review I would have to disagree with most of it, but then again it’s only my opinion. My Limited is Diamond Black with the 5.7Hemi, Off-road, Pkg1, No Glass Roof and is honestly the best designed truck I’ve ever owned!

Good write-up but if you think your truck is glued and hugs like nascar now, throw on a hellwig sway bar and tell me what you think. I wasn’t a believer, now I’m a worshipper.

runamuck

Reaction score
certainly everyone likes something different, but I am happy with the '19 laramie I have. it far and away handles better and is more fun to drive than the '17 gmc sierra that I traded in. I dont care what the ridgeline owner said, the truck seems to have plenty of get up and go for a pickup and the Alpine sound system in mine sounds pretty darn good and I have been sort of an audiophile all my adult life. I dont have any stumbling with the start/stop or e battery boost because I would never own a vehicle with that option. the truck drives smooth and quiet and every ford or gm owner friend of mine that has ridden in it has raved about how nice the interior is and how great it rides. just my experience so far in almost 1 year of ownership.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I've driven are F-series for the last 20 years. They're bland and boring now to me. While the Ram is better looking, it has a lot of issues that could be easily solved with better quality control. They could take a very good truck and make it great. Every single one I've started on the dealer's lots has clacked and ticked until it warmed up a bit. About half have had a skip until they warmed up. All the electronic and electric issues talked about here and elsewhere are troubling not that they exist, but that they still exist 2+ years after they were first reported to exist.

Just some of the issues reported consistently since the intro of the DT that I've read about

Backup cameras issues
No walk away locking
Wind noise over 70 mph

Water leaks into cabin

Everything in this list could be corrected by QC with very little effort. That effort would make this truck unbeatable, for now, in this segment. Ford's 2021 redesign, slated for mid 2020 release is likely going to overtake Ram's current advantages which is likely why FAC is discounting these trucks so heavily and sitting on huge, unshipped inventory. They want to knock ford off the best selling truck platform, but I don't think they can do it.

Glad you like your truck. We always seem to love what we have right until we don't. You're the perfect example, by your own admission. Hope it remains your current favorite.
My Raptor sounded like a sewing machine every single morning from Cam Phasers being under oiled until the oil pump could build some pressure. Liked the power that truck produced, but hearing ticks on startup is beyond normal for anything that has metal internals. Besides the “Once per morning” backing down my drive brake squeak, my truck has none of the issues you’ve listed, 1 year in. Of course, wind noises are subjective to every Owners personal views, never gonna win that argument. Mine is no more or less noisy than my raptor with the sound proof glass was.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I agree on the best looking and best interior.

I used empirical data from the same sound meters to come to my conclusion on interior noise levels. It is what it is. Very quiet, to be sure, but not as quiet as others. My Honda uses an "acoustic" windshield which has a special layer of material sandwiched between the glass to reduce sound. Ford uses this in *all* of their windows now (higher trim levels) which makes their cab the quietest available. Ram has made a very good truck. With a few tweaks, it would be fantastic and crush the competition.
My F150 had that glass, when it got cracked from a rock, Safelite had only 1 in stock (this was back in 2016) and wanted like $400 (parts only, labor was extra) for it. When I balked at that price they said they had non-accoustic for half that cost... I went with non-accoustic and frankly couldn't tell the difference but then hearing is subjective, my ears aren't yours.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
This is a waste of time. Who cares what this guy thinks after a 30 mile test drive?
It only took me a 10 minute maybe a 10 mile test drive to tell I liked the hemi Limited far better than the Pentstar Laramie.
I don't think his comments were a waste, he had a Platinum Ford to compare it against and that's closer to apples to apples than any Ridgeline.
It's your opinion that its not enough data or whatever and that's fine, your opinion however I'll say that I appreciated hearing from a competing truck owner what he thought. Hey at least he was honest, all he had to do was fudge an extra zero on the mileage and it would have sounded better... give him credit for truck shopping, and reporting what he found.

Maybe he isn't going to change anyone's mind (on a RAM forum no less) about their truck but frankly, if a RAM owner posts up after owning for a year/20K miles or so with this problem and that problem and the other problem and says "RAM sucks", it doesn't change my opinion a bit, cause' his problems aren't mine.

I made my mind up to test drive the 5th Gen RAM 1500 from reading a few car magazine reviews (unreliable usually) and competing truck forum statements (I'm a Ford guy) and that was enough to get me into a RAM dealership. The rest was history.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Drove a Rebel last night for a while. Even with the bigger/blockier tires it rode well and noise wasn't terrible (not as quiet as the Limited or Laramies I've driven) They do handle well and the suspension is very plush for the most part. Dealer is working up numbers on an ordered 2020 Limited for me. We'll see what they can do. Looks like employee pricing on a $72K limited is $63K as a start (no other discounts or options factored in yet) Best I could get on a F150 Platinum diesel with a similar sticker was about 6K off now that Ford pulled all the big discounts ($3500 additional discounts) at the end of September.

I do like the exterior and interior appearance of the Ram better, but the MPG on the Ford diesel is killer.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd agree with you, but the Ford is as quiet or more so than my Honda. It's not my impression. I took sound pressure measurements in every truck I've driven to see how they compared. The Ram is significantly more noisy inside than the others I compared it to. It's still quiet, don't get me wrong. It's just not as quiet as others.
I'd be curious to know the way in which you tested compared to Consumer Reports, which rated the Ram the quietest of all trucks tested. Perhaps they take a composite of readings? Or maybe it was the spot in which you took the reading.

I have no hard data for this one way or the other, but I can say the Ram is significantly quieter than both my last truck (Titan) and the F150s (up to 2018) that we have in our fleet.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know the way in which you tested compared to Consumer Reports, which rated the Ram the quietest of all trucks tested. Perhaps they take a composite of readings? Or maybe it was the spot in which you took the reading.

I have no hard data for this one way or the other, but I can say the Ram is significantly quieter than both my last truck (Titan) and the F150s (up to 2018) that we have in our fleet.
Certainly not as scientific as CR likely performed their testing. I used an analog SPL meter that I know is accurate (tested against a known, calibrated instrument) and a couple SPL apps on 2 different phones (ya, I know...used only for relative comparison) I used the same roads, same speeds and tried to test under similar weather conditions. Strictly relative comparisons and my own impressions of what they sounded like to me.

I was only testing high trim vehicles. Limiteds, platinums, etc.

RangerZ

Reaction score
I was die hard GM guy. 7 new ones in the last 21 years. For me the ram blew GM away. I traded a 2018 Sierra SLT with 6.2. The 5.7 for me was on par with 6.2 for power. The MPG is about the same as the 6.2 maybe a little worse but so far (haven’t done a long distance tow) the towing MPG is worse than the GM. The interior was head and shoulders above GM. The quietness in the cab of the ram is amazing (to me anyway). The ride is definitely better on the ram IMO. The OP said visibility wasn’t good which shocks me because I feel like I’m in a fish bowl I can see so well all around it (it’s not a Ford I’m comparing so maybe the Ford is better at that) and all this and I’m comparing a rebel to SLT so I’d think those tires alone would help put some check marks in the GM column but they don’t. Maybe I’m just lucky but so far I dont have any of the problems the OP listed that are discussed. My build date is 6/19. I do the have the pano and the 12 package. When the time comes for another truck i will be open to all the brands and would pick what I feel is the best truck for me and this time for the first time in 21 years it was ram

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I was die hard GM guy. 7 new ones in the last 21 years. For me the ram blew GM away. I traded a 2018 Sierra SLT with 6.2. The 5.7 for me was on par with 6.2 for power. The MPG is about the same as the 6.2 maybe a little worse but so far (haven’t done a long distance tow) the towing MPG is worse than the GM. The interior was head and shoulders above GM. The quietness in the cab of the ram is amazing (to me anyway). The ride is definitely better on the ram IMO. The OP said visibility wasn’t good which shocks me because I feel like I’m in a fish bowl I can see so well all around it (it’s not a Ford I’m comparing so maybe the Ford is better at that) and all this and I’m comparing a rebel to SLT so I’d think those tires alone would help put some check marks in the GM column but they don’t. Maybe I’m just lucky but so far I dont have any of the problems the OP listed that are discussed. My build date is 6/19. I do the have the pano and the 12 package. When the time comes for another truck i will be open to all the brands and would pick what I feel is the best truck for me and this time for the first time in 21 years it was ram
Thanks much for your input and experience. I think my visibility statement was in regard to the driver seat headrest. For some reason it seemed to me in the way when I tried to look around behind me. I probably should revisit that as it might be incorrect.

Glad you like your truck. I am impressed with the Ram for many reasons.

Lize

Reaction score
Plenty of power (5.7 E-Torque), but not "wow" power. It's a truck...not a race car.
I was a little underwhelmed by the power (both had etorque). I feel like this truck deserves a 6.2L.
I too was a little underwhelmed and whilst its not a race car I also expected a bit more from it. I didn't test drive before purchase and if I had I'd have been disappointed with performance and although a lovely truck I'd have given it more thought.

After reading posts on here about the Pedal Commander I ordered one and it really wakes it up making the power easily accessible and eliminates all lag. I have my PC set at sport+ and its like chalk and cheese to drive. I think its one of the best modifications you can make and that FCA slipped up not having an Eco-Normal-Sport type button.

Talisman

Reaction score
After reading posts on here about the Pedal Commander I ordered one and it really wakes it up making the power easily accessible and eliminates all lag. I have my PC set at sport+ and its like chalk and cheese to drive. I think its one of the best modifications you can make and that FCA slipped up not having an Eco-Normal-Sport type button.
I’ll have to read about the pedal commander. Thanks for the heads up.

AbitaPro

Reaction score

Backup cameras issues
No walk away locking
Wind noise over 70 mph

Water leaks into cabin

I must have a Unicorn, as my Ram has absolutely none of the issues you listed. PS: I still loved my F-150, still do today, just my medical issues were more important, and took precedent.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Good write-up but if you think your truck is glued and hugs like nascar now, throw on a hellwig sway bar and tell me what you think. I wasn’t a believer, now I’m a worshipper.
Thanks, but I learned along time ago, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Coming from 8 years of Honda Pilot Tourings (same platform as Ridgeline) - a 12 that was traded on a 16 (that was a large improvement in all aspects over the pervious gen).

But Honda made no improvements in the 4 years since the 3rd Gen Pilot came out - and I wasn't dropping $45K just for "new car smell" (I typically trade at 90K miles, which is 4 years for me on average - over 100K and the trade value starts to plummet, plus it puts me close to the 120K mile HondaCare I always purchase).

At any rate - I looked at the U.S. SUV's - the non-full size were just too cramped - and the full sized, fully optioned were way overpriced - and honestly, not as well equipped or comfortable as the RAM.

I drove the GMC Denali's in both 2500/Diesel & 1500 Gas - the 2500 was just really more truck than I needed/wanted - though a very nice ride (and I have a CDL/A and have driven 18-wheelers).

I drove a Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 next - was just totally blown away by the ride, interior trim level and comfort. But I decided to give every one a "fair shot".

Similarly the Chevy High Country was "missing options" that came with the Ram Limited, and just didn't ride as nice or have the fit & finish in interior as the RAM - at pretty much a slightly higher price for almost identical options (some of which were "standard equipment" on the Limited).

Next F-150 Platinum with diesel (and honestly, being a GM or Honda guy - never though I would even darken the threshold of a (gasp) FORD DEALERSHIP.

I can honestly say - the F-150 Platinum came in a very very close 2nd - impressive ride, and the salesman assured me it was a diesel which I had to look at the sticker to see if he was lying. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

But none of the colors turned me on - I found the stereo to be "somewhat lacking" (no biggie - I usually put high end Focal/Moscone systems in my ride - and planned on pulling the $5K of stuff out of the Pilot) - and it was missing the one feature that the Ram I was looking at had.

MULTI-FUNCTION-TAILGATE!

As much as the shortcomings in available accessories for the MFT are an issue (which I found out AFTER I bought the truck - and it might have pushed me to take a second look at the Ford) - lack of center bumper step, none of the covers I want fit - YET - without removing the brackets (and potentially voiding the warranty) - the MFT the option that turned me on the most.

Aside from the "cool factor" - I'm 5'5" - and having to reach OVER a dropped tailgate to get into the bed was a turn-off - this (with the bed divider) makes it easy to chuck stuff in the back (that I don't want flying around on the rear floor) without having to reach over or climb in to get it).

I'm an Luxury SUV guy (not the $$ for an Acura or German level)- I didn't really ever see myself in a full-size pickup. I don't need it for a "work truck" (I do IT consulting) - I wanted something roomy, comfortable, nicely appointed with power and a smooth ride.

The Limited fit all the requirements - at a price point lower than similarly equipped domestics. Even the HK stereo - while not "as good as" my Focal/Moscone hardware would make the truck sound - is "good enough" that I don't see tearing the interior out, running power/speaker wires, hiding 3 full size amps, and giving up my underseat storage for subs. They did an EXCELLENT JOB for a factory installed system. And I AM a music nut (jazz, progressive, rock, jam/improv - AC/DC to Zappa) - and also "part time" live sound & live recording engineer - SO I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Plus I LOVE the Granite Metallic color - that was a MANDATORY. Don't need for 4x4 in Florida (though if a dealer down here had one on the lot in the color with an MFT, the $3K upcharge wouldn't be a deal breaker either).

I got a Tazer to get some features I wanted, and I'll throw the pedal commander in this weekend to get a little more responsiveness from the throttle.

While tempted to go "bat guano" and do "power adders" - I'll take reliability (and WARRANTY) over more power.

MPG SUCKS - nowhere NEAR advertised. OTOH - with my driving style, I was only getting 16 in the Honda - so the 12.5 (according to Fuelly) isn't totally unexpected. If I couldn't afford to fill the tank - I would have gotten an econo-box, or lighten up on the pedal.

While my opinions are subjective, rather than wholly OBJECTIVE (being my first full size pickups - though I have owned 1500 & 2500 Suburbans in the past) - from the drives & research I did prior to buying - I am throughly impressed with my Ram, and still not regretting my purchase.

Only real complaints:

LKA is WORTHLESS. For a truck that can PARK ITSELF - they could have done WAY BETTER.
Some features (like walk-away locking and interior lights on at engine stop) could have easily been implemented, but were overlooked - not a deal breaker, but ANNOYING.
Factory GPS is USELESS - old maps, and the crappiest interface I've EVER SEEN. But I use google maps on carplay - and have other apps with "offline maps" if I'm ever "boonied" with no cell service.
Uconnect & SOS are GARBAGE - if/when they work. I cancelled my free trial, because I hit the SOS button by accident - no one picked up after 35 minutes of ringing - I had to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY to get it to shut off.
MOPAR doesn't have their "full parts" on the site - and the assembly exploded views are NON-EXISTENT - so finding stuff like fasteners is IMPOSSIBLE - EVEN FOR PARTS GUYS AT THE DEALER.

Seems like a lot of "complaints", but in the "big picture" - very minor.

That's my $.02 - and, absent major issues - with a 7 year/unlimited MaxCare extended warranty - I may well keep this truck beyond the 4 years I typically take to get rid of rides.

Unless something REALLY COOL comes along - or there are some REALLY SIGNIFICANT MID GENERATION UPGRADES.

Rick

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts from the test drives. Though I’m not an audiophile and wasn‘t interested in the level 1 to get the safety nanny features and the HK system, I do miss the 360 camera. There was no level .5 so I didn’t upgrade.
You didnt say it but I’d have thought the Platinum F250 with the 6.7 diesel was quite a bit more expensive than the 1500 limited. Unless you were meaning something else.

We were looking at the Touring Pilot as well however like you said, the RAM got us much more in luxury compared to the Pilot. I didn’t like the overall length of the truck and only barely fit it in the garage (by 2”) but it made it.

This truck was for my wife, and while surprised, I accepted her choice. Then in June I was more surprised when my daughter in law, a petite 5’ 100 pound woman, told my son the same thing... “buy this truck”.

Attachments

• 4D0A7DD1-5324-460A-B318-0E98E01CF0E7.jpeg
    4D0A7DD1-5324-460A-B318-0E98E01CF0E7.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 32

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts from the test drives. Though I’m not an audiophile and wasn‘t interested in the level 1 to get the safety nanny features and the HK system, I do miss the 360 camera. There was no level .5 so I didn’t upgrade.
You didnt say it but I’d have thought the Platinum F250 with the 6.7 diesel was quite a bit more expensive than the 1500 limited. Unless you were meaning something else.

We were looking at the Touring Pilot as well however like you said, the RAM got us much more in luxury compared to the Pilot. I didn’t like the overall length of the truck and only barely fit it in the garage (by 2”) but it made it.

This truck was for my wife, and while surprised, I accepted her choice. Then in June I was more surprised when my daughter in law, a petite 5’ 100 pound woman, told my son the same thing... “buy this truck”.
Oddly enough, the diesel Platinum with nearly every option is nearly $2K less MSRP than the Ram Limited with the gasser. I was a bit surprised.

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 7.57.17 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread