5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drove a 2020 tonight for an hour or so...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats very surprising, usually Fords are/were about 8-10K more than the equivalent higher trim 1500’s. Thats the first reason I looked at RAM, when I bought last April you couldn’t touch a Ford Platinum or KR for less than about a 10K difference.

Perhaps Ford has figured out that the 5th gen RAM is some serious competetion. I know they lost me and several dozen/hundred other buyers, just from forum posts alone. While not a serious drop in their sales leadership figures they have to be careful of the trend.

Ford still has the best payload in a 150/1500 pickup and the bigger ecoboost has a lot more power/tq, so they have that going for them, if you can ignore the interiors and the many quality issues.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Thats very surprising, usually Fords are/were about 8-10K more than the equivalent higher trim 1500’s. Thats the first reason I looked at RAM, when I bought last April you couldn’t touch a Ford Platinum or KR for less than about a 10K difference.

Perhaps Ford has figured out that the 5th gen RAM is some serious competetion. I know they lost me and several dozen/hundred other buyers, just from forum posts alone. While not a serious drop in their sales leadership figures they have to be careful of the trend.

Ford still has the best payload in a 150/1500 pickup and the bigger ecoboost has a lot more power/tq, so they have that going for them, if you can ignore the interiors and the many quality issues.
Agree on all counts. I'm very spoiled with the bed trunk thingy in my Ridgeline. It's used extensively for one of my businesses and I don't want to give up the back seat space to the items I store in that bed trunk. While the Ram's Ram boxes won't hold everything I store there, they'll take 80% of it, which is better than 0% with the F150. If I didn't have a need to tow a new tractor and backhoe I don't think I'd consider trading the RL.

Hopefully, Ford will bring back the $4K in discounts they pulled from the 2019/2020 Platinums for their Black Friday sales and I'll be able to decide.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts from the test drives. Though I’m not an audiophile and wasn‘t interested in the level 1 to get the safety nanny features and the HK system, I do miss the 360 camera. There was no level .5 so I didn’t upgrade.
You didnt say it but I’d have thought the Platinum F250 with the 6.7 diesel was quite a bit more expensive than the 1500 limited. Unless you were meaning something else.

We were looking at the Touring Pilot as well however like you said, the RAM got us much more in luxury compared to the Pilot. I didn’t like the overall length of the truck and only barely fit it in the garage (by 2”) but it made it.

This truck was for my wife, and while surprised, I accepted her choice. Then in June I was more surprised when my daughter in law, a petite 5’ 100 pound woman, told my son the same thing... “buy this truck”.

The Platinum I drove had the 3.0 Diesel and was an F-150 - I too was surprised the price was competitive with the Ram. Most diesels are a $4-9K upcharge ($9K for the larger ones of course), which means the Platinum started out less expensive on MSRP than the RAM.

There's NOTHING WRONG with the Pilot. Sure the Touring level doesn't have wood/leather trim - but they leave that upscale crap to the Acura equivalent models - which to me, don't justify the upcharge. After 200K miles in 2nd & 3rd gen Pilots (my '12 & 16) - it was time to switch up.

This was one of my most difficult car buys in years. Usually, I go shopping already knowing exactly what I want (obsessing is a PITA). This time I walked into dealerships looking for something that "just grabbed my attention". I was interested in a Durango - but nobody down here had an SRT, I found it to be cramped (even in comparison to my Pilot) and fully optioned out to my liking, was $5K higher on sticker.

Salesmen would ask what I was looking for - and the answer was: HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE. Could afford to get pretty much anything I wanted - I didn't know WHAT I wanted this time. Once I decided on a full-size pickup - I was able to narrow my focus somewhat.

Rick

Clayssport

Reaction score
This guy is comparing a ridgeline that is built on a honda odyssey minivan platform, unibody construction to a body on frame truck?? Ridgeline isn't even a truck, its a van with a little box in the back. Get outta here.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
This guy is comparing a ridgeline that is built on a honda odyssey minivan platform, unibody construction to a body on frame truck?? Ridgeline isn't even a truck, its a van with a little box in the back. Get outta here.

actually, it is based on the pilot platform, which is different from the odyssey platform.

That being said, it is still not a truck, and the classics sense that the ram or other full-size half ton variables, or actually trucks.

whether or not is a valid comparison, as a matter of perspective. I’m coming out of eight years and 200,000 miles and 2nd and third GEN Honda pilots. So this is what I use the comparison for, when purchasing my ram. It is the frame of reference I was working from.

I personally didn’t care for the Ridgeline, in comparison to my pilot. Which is why I opted to go with a full-size pick up this time around.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Even though he is coming out of a Pilot, he drove the new ecodiesel F150 so theres that for a comparison.

I didnt even drive a GM product, and could make the purchase decision without even driving the 19’ F150. The price difference alone made part of the decision for me.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My impression of the 2019 Ram was such that I left a lifetime of Ford Trucks but more importantly a 30 year relationship with the local Ford Dealer less than 10 minutes from the house, and a truly professional service department. Leaving those Friends in Service to buy something, anything was something I never entertained or thought possible.

I was in a similar circumstance as I have a great relationship with my Ford dealer close by and they will do about anything I ask. They handed me the keys to an F150 King Ranch that stickered at $69K and said drive it around as much as you want.

In the end I could just not justify spending the same money for an F150 as a new RAM. F150s are just so plain and I really hope the 2021 new model is a major improvement.

My biggest fear are Ram dealerships and the lack of service I will most likely experience.

If ANYONE has a good dealer they recommend in the Charlotte area I would appreciate it. I like to drop off up there and tool around while they do their service on my wife's Mazda CX-5 so would probably do that on the Ram too.

rlc2020

Reaction score
My local dealer gave me a 2020 Laramie Longhorn for an hour+ tonight. I only put 30 miles or so on it, but here's my impressions if anyone cares.

Interior is louder than my Honda or the F150 platinums I've driven. Sound meter (non-calibrated microphone) shows 62-64 db in the Ford and Honda and was 65-69 in the Ram (same roads, same speeds, etc) I could hear the wind noise (open door) so many complain about (passenger rear door noise), but believe I can correct that based on what others here have done. It was a little better with the sun shade closed, but not much.

Seats are comfortable and have great adjustability. The driver's left seat base bolster was bothering me a bit, but likely due to it being stiff (not broken in) Seat heaters, steering wheel heater, climate control all seemed to work very well.

Access into the truck front and rear seating is awesome. Best in class for sure.

Visibility is good, but not great. Head rests get in the way (front and rear seat) when looking over your shoulder. Rears can be folded down.

Sunroof and shade are great. Roof tilted is noisier than the ford or honda. I didn't try it opened.

HK stereo isn't nearly what I had expected. Sound quality (Sirius and USB source of lossless media) was meh....I adjusted the EQ etc and it just never was great. Honda is better...Ford is about the same.

Plenty of power (5.7 E-Torque), but not "wow" power. It's a truck...not a race car. Averaged about 18 on my short drive which included hills, city streets, neighborhoods and highway at 65 MPH.

Transmission shifts well. This truck only had 11 miles on it so I'd guess the TCU hasn't had enough time to learn and smooth out the shifts. Some downshifts at slow speeds were abrupt, but it never felt lazy accelerating from slow speeds.

The truck bumped forwards several times when sitting at a light (engine off due to stop) when I lifted my foot off the brake pedal...not all the way off...just enough to let the truck roll a bit. The engine started and the truck jumped forward a bit. Surprised me. Not dangerous, but unexpected.

Headlights are great! Better than Ford or Honda.

The myriad of controls and adjustment on the 12.4 Uconnect are staggering. I found it easy to navigate and found what I was looking for without much trouble.

Wireless phone charger wouldn't charge consistently with my Note 10+ and Samsung rugged case. I removed the case and it worked fine.

Took 4 tries to pair my phone to the truck. My phone didn't see the uconnect the first 3 holding it over the console. I held it near the charger on the 4th try and it worked.

Suspension was plush and silent. I did hear a rattle from the passenger rear a couple times on stutter bumps. Sounded like it was coming from outside the cabin.

Overall a pretty nice truck. Best interior, not the best in other ways, but what is?
Oh look, this joker is back again. Thank you for the edmunds review, now go buy the soda can bodied, minivan v6 powered mini truck known as the f150 and leave us alone. Enjoy spending more money to get way less of a truck.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I was in a similar circumstance as I have a great relationship with my Ford dealer close by and they will do about anything I ask. They handed me the keys to an F150 King Ranch that stickered at $69K and said drive it around as much as you want.

In the end I could just not justify spending the same money for an F150 as a new RAM. F150s are just so plain and I really hope the 2021 new model is a major improvement.

My biggest fear are Ram dealerships and the lack of service I will most likely experience.

If ANYONE has a good dealer they recommend in the Charlotte area I would appreciate it. I like to drop off up there and tool around while they do their service on my wife's Mazda CX-5 so would probably do that on the Ram too.
Service and reported issues is a big one for me as well. Ram hasn't had a great reputation in the past and the number of issues reported here and elsewhere is a bit daunting. They are good looking and have much better interiors than the Ford, but Ford's reliability is better, for now and I'm familiar with that brand.

FAC is buying market share (and trying to knock Ford off its 42 year record) with the employee pricing, which is great if you're a fan of Ram, but it will hurt resale on these trucks just as it did when Ford offered $15K off earlier this year. Every action has a reaction or consequence. For people who buy them and put 100K on them it's not a big deal. For those of us that trade every 2 years it's a big consideration.

Good luck in what you decide.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Service and reported issues is a big one for me as well. Ram hasn't had a great reputation in the past and the number of issues reported here and elsewhere is a bit daunting. They are good looking and have much better interiors than the Ford, but Ford's reliability is better, for now and I'm familiar with that brand.

FAC is buying market share (and trying to knock Ford off its 42 year record) with the employee pricing, which is great if you're a fan of Ram, but it will hurt resale on these trucks just as it did when Ford offered $15K off earlier this year. Every action has a reaction or consequence. For people who buy them and put 100K on them it's not a big deal. For those of us that trade every 2 years it's a big consideration.

If you trade every 2 years then its hard to say why a person would not stay with one brand, probably better to build dealer/service dept loyalty. I know having bought 2 Fords from a dealer in 2 years (truck and SUV) I definitely got treated better the 2nd time.
I’m not a brand loyalist, having had 3 Ford, 2 GMC, 2 Chev and now the first RAM trucks since 1974. But thats 8 in over 40 years and only 2 were new.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
If you trade every 2 years then its hard to say why a person would not stay with one brand, probably better to build dealer/service dept loyalty. I know having bought 2 Fords from a dealer in 2 years (truck and SUV) I definitely got treated better the 2nd time.
I’m not a brand loyalist, having had 3 Ford, 2 GMC, 2 Chev and now the first RAM trucks since 1974. But thats 8 in over 40 years and only 2 were new.
I've never bought from the same dealer twice. The 2 local Ford dealers always want thousands more than a dealer a few hours away so I drive a little and save a lot. They don't care about loyalty....at least not here.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Guess if it works for you then ok. My last 2 Fords and this current RAM were both from dealers I’d buy from again. All depends on the local market area and whose running the dealership.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Guess if it works for you then ok. My last 2 Fords and this current RAM were both from dealers I’d buy from again. All depends on the local market area and whose running the dealership.
I'd love to buy in town. When I ordered by 2012 F350 diesel the local guys were nearly $5000 more than a little dealer 3 hours away. What would you do? They both told me "you cannot buy that truck for that price" I bought it and loved it!

The 2 Dodge dealers here are quite different from each other. The huge one (3500 vehicles in inventory, no floor plan) won't let you test drive anything, no loaners for service or warranty work. The little dealer lets you drive what you want and gives a loaner and/or will pick up and drop off your vehicle. Very odd differences.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So a few things. The employee pricing is not as good as the June special 15% off MSRP pricing. Also I see competitors doing 15-20% off MSRP now so they are trying to compete as well. Ford was doing 0% for 72 months to compete.

You might not see my signature to know I already decided and own a 2019 Ram Limited. Thanks!

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
So a few things. The employee pricing is not as good as the June special 15% off MSRP pricing. Also I see competitors doing 15-20% off MSRP now so they are trying to compete as well. Ford was doing 0% for 72 months to compete.

You might not see my signature to know I already decided and own a 2019 Ram Limited. Thanks!
I just started working a deal on a 72K list 2020. EP is 63K give or take and there's another $1500 available right now ($1000 of that could go away tonight at midnight, but I'm not sure...maybe it'll go up) 61500 on a 72K truck is right at 15%. I'm tired of looking. Just want to be done already.

This truck has everything I wanted other than painted bumpers and the 33 gallon tank and is sitting 5 miles from my home.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 1.06.05 PM.png

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just started working a deal on a 72K list 2020. EP is 63K give or take and there's another $1500 available right now ($1000 of that could go away tonight at midnight, but I'm not sure...maybe it'll go up) 61500 on a 72K truck is right at 15%. I'm tired of looking. Just want to be done already.

This truck has everything I wanted other than painted bumpers and the 33 gallon tank and is sitting 5 miles from my home.

Interesting...I thought employee pricing was just on 2019s. Good luck with the sale!

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Interesting...I thought employee pricing was just on 2019s. Good luck with the sale!
It was until 11/26. The dealers have known it would be extended to the 2020 for a few weeks now, but weren't supposed to tell anyone to help move 2019 inventory.

Forgot to mention...I wanted the white tri-coat pearl coat also, but will live with this red.

RJS

Reaction score
Forgot to mention...I wanted the white tri-coat pearl coat also, but will live with this red.

I had to make the same decision as I had my heart set on the tri-coat pearl but the dealer couldn't find one in August close enough to the options I wanted and asked if there might be another color. We walked into the yard and a Delmonico Red one was setting in direct sunlight. I said I could probably live with that color. They found one 300 miles away and I bought it.
It is now my favorite color, when it's setting clean in about any kind of light it just sparkles. I thought it might look dirty as quickly as black but it's more tolerant than that.
Drive the truck before you buy it a decent distance, I did and Loved the truck but I missed a wind noise in the sun roof as the weather was great and I never fully closed the windows.
Told the dealer about it a couple days later, They scheduled the repair the next day, called Ram to open a star case to be sure they had advice from headquarters on the repair and kept it overnight as parts took a day to arrive. Gave it back the next day, problem solved and have since also repaired a rear window that appeared to stick before dropping.
Moral, not a perfect truck but a good dealer close by has made the ownership and repairs easy and seamless.

Good luck with yours if you decide to purchase one.

Users who are viewing this thread