5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver's seat is brutal!

wjcook68

Reaction score
6'6" and 295 here. I came from a Gladiator Rubicon and these seats feel like a Lazy-Boy recliner to me. I know everyone is different shapes and sizes but I agree with the posts above, maybe there is something wrong with the seats. OP I hope you get it sorted out so you can enjoy that awesome truck.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this, and I think it is related to the positioning of the pedals. The layout makes you keep your right leg out of the groove, so to speak. Adjustable pedals are nice but would be better if they moved side to side, also. I’ve been driving with my foot as far left on the gas pedal as I can and it feels much better.

stormcom

Reaction score
The seats are comfortable except for the bolsters. If you are a wide hipped person, every bump you hit jars your hip and then your back. Also the bottom back will cave in on a trip. I sympathize with you. I just bought a set of Rebel G/T seats for my truck and having them tailored to my back and hips. What happened to Le Baron or New Yorker seats?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read this with interest. I've had my Limited for 4 months now and find my seats very uncomfortable. The longest drive I've taken is about an hour and I find that I'm squirming around trying to get comfortable after about 20 minutes. And yes, it;s my left leg that feels it. I work from home so I don't drive very often (1900 miles in 4 months) so I haven't had a chance to play around with the adjustment much.

I'm 5'-10" and 210 lbs and the seats are the Limited leather seats. I traded in a 2015 Charger R/T when I ordered the Ram and the Charger had the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle.

stormcom

Reaction score
I've read this with interest. I've had my Limited for 4 months now and find my seats very uncomfortable. The longest drive I've taken is about an hour and I find that I'm squirming around trying to get comfortable after about 20 minutes. And yes, it;s my left leg that feels it. I work from home so I don't drive very often (1900 miles in 4 months) so I haven't had a chance to play around with the adjustment much.

I'm 5'-10" and 210 lbs and the seats are the Limited leather seats. I traded in a 2015 Charger R/T when I ordered the Ram and the Charger had the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle.
I had a 2021 Limited and felt the same way. Find a good upholstery shop and for 150.00 or so, they can repair the seat. Part of the problem is the sides are too firm but the biggie is the back half of the seat is not reinforced like the front. You actually sag in the back outside corner which puts pressure on the hip and leg. They also have a metal bar that presses on the hip. Ram is aware about the issue but won't do anything (I have talked to them). A good shop can do wonders. I am over 6 feet and a big old Norsk. My wife is 5 ft. nothing and she says they are ok but not great.

If your limited is 4 mo. old, your dealer can do it under sublet repair. Let them take care of it.

stormcom

Reaction score
They can send to an auto upholstry shop and have seats repaired. They will order new foam and then reinforce it when they install it. You would be suprised how thin the foam is.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you that it takes me weeks of major adjustments, and months of minor adjustments to find my exact right comfortable positions in almost ANY vehicle. But once I did with my Ram, it really is perfect and I feel zero discomfort even on super long drives (like 8+ hours with a couple breaks...still get stiff eventually no matter what, of course).

I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I tend to get stiff/sore/uncomfortable doing any one thing (sitting, standing, walking, running) for less time than it takes most people. So it takes me extra long to find the right spot. But once I did with this truck, it's the second most comfortable driver's seat I've ever been in. My friend's uncle's Cadillac CTS-V PL takes the cake there. Like sitting on a cloud (with a jet engine attached to it lol).

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2021 Limited and felt the same way. Find a good upholstery shop and for 150.00 or so, they can repair the seat. Part of the problem is the sides are too firm but the biggie is the back half of the seat is not reinforced like the front. You actually sag in the back outside corner which puts pressure on the hip and leg. They also have a metal bar that presses on the hip. Ram is aware about the issue but won't do anything (I have talked to them). A good shop can do wonders. I am over 6 feet and a big old Norsk. My wife is 5 ft. nothing and she says they are ok but not great.

If your limited is 4 mo. old, your dealer can do it under sublet repair. Let them take care of it.
Thanks. I'll check with my dealer and see what they say.

The ironic thing is that I loved my Charger seats and my wife hated them - she wouldn't ride in it. I was all set to buy the Laramie but my wife didn;t like the seats. She loved he Limited seats an dtol dme if I got the Laramie, she wuldn't ride in it, but she would if I bought the Limited. Our butt comfort certainly is different lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check with my dealer and see what they say.

The ironic thing is that I loved my Charger seats and my wife hated them - she wouldn't ride in it. I was all set to buy the Laramie but my wife didn;t like the seats. She loved he Limited seats an dtol dme if I got the Laramie, she wuldn't ride in it, but she would if I bought the Limited. Our butt comfort certainly is different lol.
She does realize there is no difference in the seats other than the seat cover, or if they are the cooled seats. Wonder if the cooled seats are slightly.softer with the holes for airflow, of if they have to make them stiffer to allow the airflow through

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She does realize there is no difference in the seats other than the seat cover, or if they are the cooled seats. Wonder if the cooled seats are slightly.softer with the holes for airflow, of if they have to make them stiffer to allow the airflow through
Yes they are the ventilated seats. She asked the salesman if the seats were upgraded and he told her they were.

Reaction score
I have the sport seats that come with the built to serve edition and this is by far the most comfortable truck i have ever had. My Silverado seat bottom was brutal and my tundra did not have enough bolster. I have zero complaints in the comfort dept.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Did my first 14 hour drive on Friday, 14 hours on any seat would suck. That said, I couldn’t find a comfortable spot, it is what it is. I’d have to add something to the back of the seat to get my knee over the bolster and avoid the circulation issue, but then would have no air pushing through from the vent.

On a (sort of) positive note I narrowly missed driving through a tornado in Saskatchewan.

Attachments

• 9A7FC186-C35F-4A96-B0C2-0568E4BBD045.jpeg
    9A7FC186-C35F-4A96-B0C2-0568E4BBD045.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 9D31311D-08B2-4A30-88E8-439BB1C00E4C.jpeg
    9D31311D-08B2-4A30-88E8-439BB1C00E4C.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • CE9742C0-5C7C-44B5-973C-AE30DE34F5E3.jpeg
    CE9742C0-5C7C-44B5-973C-AE30DE34F5E3.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 3E0808D9-25C9-43E5-B4D9-B4CA9E841856.jpeg
    3E0808D9-25C9-43E5-B4D9-B4CA9E841856.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 40

brental1

Reaction score
I have a 22 Big Horn. It came with cloth seats. They seemed comfortable; although only one road trip with them. I HAD to have leather; so I swapped in a set of Laramie leather seats. This doesn't sound possible; but as soon a I sat in the Laramie seats, I noticed I sat lower in the truck. I'm short, 5' 8", so I want to sit high and I want the seat in the highest vertical position. In this position, I feel I'm too low in the truck in I tilt the base either to the front or the back; so I can't use much tilt like I was able to in my 3rd Gen RAM. In that truck I could do some extreme tilting, front or back to change seating position on long trips. I see there are aftermarket 1.5" blocks to raise the overall seat height. Advertised as making seat height more like a Ford. I haven't sat in a Ford; but wondering in this height increase would me good for me.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 22 Big Horn. It came with cloth seats. They seemed comfortable; although only one road trip with them. I HAD to have leather; so I swapped in a set of Laramie leather seats. This doesn't sound possible; but as soon a I sat in the Laramie seats, I noticed I sat lower in the truck. I'm short, 5' 8", so I want to sit high and I want the seat in the highest vertical position. In this position, I feel I'm too low in the truck in I tilt the base either to the front or the back; so I can't use much tilt like I was able to in my 3rd Gen RAM. In that truck I could do some extreme tilting, front or back to change seating position on long trips. I see there are aftermarket 1.5" blocks to raise the overall seat height. Advertised as making seat height more like a Ford. I haven't sat in a Ford; but wondering in this height increase would me good for me.
I feel like the 5th gen seats don't have the same adjustment as the 4th gen did. All new cars seem like they did the same. My girlfriend just got rid of a 2020 Ford Edge. Her seats didn't have as much adjustment as her 2018. Her new Buick seems to lack adjustment. I do think the 5th gen leather seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Any long road trips, that's our choice to take.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing to add other damn i didn't know 5'8" was short. Lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Those blocks saved my life, I had to sit in a "clam" shape in order for my lower back not to hurt on longer drivers, that block raiser fixed it for me, kinda pricey for what you get, but the fit and design is perfect, specifically the Desert Does It Seat Jackers for $89.00 before shipping & tax.

I'm 6'2" tall by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread