5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver Side Creak- Inside- Video

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have spent multiple visits at Omaha NE area dealerships (two) for this same issue. People have been in the car, heard it, and then denied they heard this. Videos are exact same thing. I just crammed stuff in there. Please tell me this fixed it.
I brought my truck into the dealer and printed out the pictures from this forum showing how others stuffed socks and clipped off zip ties. I told them I could have done this myself but I felt more comfortable documenting the issue and having them deal with it. I am not sure what they did to solve it by the ticking has been gone.

nebraskaram01

Reaction score
I just cut up a piece of white hand towel and crammed it in there- at both spots. Now I'm trying to fix the clicking break pedal which is annoying.

Mikeyramball

Reaction score
Those of you who fixed this with the sock, did the creaking occur only when riding on a bumpy road or turning right? I just applied the socks and went for a ride. Seems muted a bit (it’s warmer out tonight, 58 degrees)but still hearing it when turning to the right, it at all left. Trying to determine if there are multiple issues here and socks only solve one. Thanks!

illucid

Reaction score
Those of you who fixed this with the sock, did the creaking occur only when riding on a bumpy road or turning right? I just applied the socks and went for a ride. Seems muted a bit (it’s warmer out tonight, 58 degrees)but still hearing it when turning to the right, it at all left. Trying to determine if there are multiple issues here and socks only solve one. Thanks!
Mine definitely happened more turning right and bumps while turning right would also make it creak but just straight bumpy road would not

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Help! I cant figure out where the creaking is coming from and its driving me crazy. It sounds like the door or steering column. Its definitely coming from inside. Anyone else having this problem? Check out the video.

Thanks!
Cord
My first dodge/ram truck ever and this $60,000 truck has more rattles and noises then the cheap chevys I’ve always had. One rattle goes away and a new one pops up. Only 1700 miles on mine, rattles from top middle dash area, speaker maybe, driver side front somewhere like yours. Had a bad rattle/sound coming from passengers rear seat door or under the seat. That started right after leaving the dealer. Would not stop for a hour then it stopped and I haven’t heard it again. Good luck!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My first dodge/ram truck ever and this $60,000 truck has more rattles and noises then the cheap chevys I’ve always had. One rattle goes away and a new one pops up. Only 1700 miles on mine, rattles from top middle dash area, speaker maybe, driver side front somewhere like yours. Had a bad rattle/sound coming from passengers rear seat door or under the seat. That started right after leaving the dealer. Would not stop for a hour then it stopped and I haven’t heard it again. Good luck!

Hi Bluestreakboy,

Please know that our team is just a private message away and we are always more than happy to provide you with additional support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Jkid32689

Reaction score
At low speeds mine was making a creak when turning the wheel i put some white lithium grease on the rubber grommet where the steering link went through the firewall and it knocked it out.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At low speeds mine was making a creak when turning the wheel i put some white lithium grease on the rubber grommet where the steering link went through the firewall and it knocked it out.
Excellent. Your solution reminded me that I had done the same to one of my 4th gens for the same issue.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038101 miles.

CHONRAM

Reaction score
For those that got rid of their creak/squeak do you have any other pictures of the fix? Crawled under the drivers floorboard as suggested and I can’t find anything that looks remotely like the pictures in this thread. Do I have to remove a skid or something to access the wiring loom? Eco diesel if it matters, not sure if the harness would be any different, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prestontocco

Reaction score
As Chonram said, I also have started noticing this creaking since the weather has gotten colder and am unsure as to where exactly this wiring harness is located so I can shove a piece of cloth to quiet it down? I understand it to be underneath the truck below where the driver sits but a little more detail would help tremendously!

terigox

Reaction score
I had a very subtle creak noise if you rocked the steering wheel back and forth while driving at low speed. I could hear it coming from under the truck. While laying on the ground under the drivers floor pan I had my buddy rock my truck back and forth. Make sure you retract your power steps if equipped! I could clearly see the body moving on the frame and the culprit was a large wire harness that was rubbing on the bottom of the cab. I grabbed the harness while truck was rocking and creak stopped. I adjusted it by pulling it away from floor pan some and creak was gone. Have not heard it since. Hope this helps..
You’re a life saver! Pretty sure this is the same issue as my 2021 Ram Rebel. Thought the noise was coming from the steering column, but located this loom, wiggled it slightly and immediately heard the noise. Cut the zip tie and re zip tied to an adjacent loom, looking forward to testing tomorrow!

Last edited:

terigox

Reaction score
For those trying to find it, under the driver door, right as you start sliding under the truck (same area where the front running board mount is) there are several wires there. The largest one runs up right next to the frame and if you wiggle it you may hear the noise.

I used some needle nose to get some separation from the loom and the frame to cut the zip tie.

You can see in my picture I circled the running board mount in Blue and then the large loom now attached to the smaller wires in that area.

Hope it helps!

Attachments

• A3C0486C-EE41-4FA9-A80B-FB43A2C7423C.jpeg
    A3C0486C-EE41-4FA9-A80B-FB43A2C7423C.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 212

CHONRAM

Reaction score
For those trying to find it, under the driver door, right as you start sliding under the truck (same area where the front running board mount is) there are several wires there. The largest one runs up right next to the frame and if you wiggle it you may hear the noise.

I used some needle nose to get some separation from the loom and the frame to cut the zip tie.

You can see in my picture I circled the running board mount in Blue and then the large loom now attached to the smaller wires in that area.

Hope it helps!

Late reply, dude I owe you a beer. Looks like they left a long zip tie on one part. Another part the zip tie had pulled out of the frame. Wrapped two small pieces of microfiber towel around it. Even on a cold night I could not hear any creaks/squeaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedream829

Reaction score
The first picture is looking directly up from below the drivers floor pan. The second picture is looking towards the front of the truck, parallel with the frame rail. The green arrows point towards the front of the truck. The yellow indicates the active tuned mass modules. The red circle is where I stuffed a section of thick sock material between the floor pan and the rubbing wiring harness. The blue circle is where a loose wiring connector sits in a frame cradle. I stuffed sock material in there as well to stop it from moving and rattling. I hope this helps!

View attachment 17011
View attachment 17010

I cannot believe this is a fix for a $80,000 truck.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the offending part. Ram mounts this zip tie by pushing it into the top of the frame, and the tail you see sticking up (where they clipped it) rubs on the bottom of the cab. Eventually, the cut tail wears through the paint on the bottom of the cab (as depicted in a photo a couple posts back) and starts making a creaking sound that sounds as if it's coming from your seat/steering column inside the truck. I completely removed the zip tie with a pair of channel locks so that there’s no possibility of the creak returning. The cut tail is completely smooth and polished on mine from rubbing against my cab. This zip tie can be found under the drivers side floor board, between the round vibration dampening can and the large electrical connector mounted to the side of the trucks frame. If you have power running boards, you must deploy the step to gain access to this zip tie, as it sits directly behind the front folding bracket on the side step.

Attachments

• 7A6D6A08-70F6-4C7E-BF1D-919385DA582F.jpeg
    7A6D6A08-70F6-4C7E-BF1D-919385DA582F.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 68D8E1F2-B54B-4479-8AEF-709020A0017F.jpeg
    68D8E1F2-B54B-4479-8AEF-709020A0017F.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

techno96

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find the location of this zip tie? I just took home a 2021 Laramie and I am having this squeaky/rubbing noise in the cold over uneven road, and sometimes when coming to a stop its easy to get it to squeak. I am not seeing it, here's some pics:

128103f4-d3b2-4bd1-823b-29895ca3a658-jpeg.81297

dadef2e8-a7fd-4033-91a5-f0deda44b461-jpeg.81296

cjvp56

Reaction score
03/15/2021:
I had this same issue, and the dealer said a Bulletin came out 2/05/2021 S2119000001. Apparently, the energy absorbing joint is making the squeak in my truck at least.... hope this helps someone. They are replacing the entire steering column. I will report back if that fixes the issue for me.

Attachments

• IMG-2367.jpg
    IMG-2367.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 62

lloydjacobson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I found my creaking steering wheel issue today. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel with 2000 miles on it. The creaking noise would happen more often when I'm turning the steering wheel in a slow turn. It sounded like the noise was coming from the clock spring right behind the air bag but that was a red herring. The noise was actually coming from the aluminum coupler at the base of the steering shaft inside the cab. The noise would telescope up the steering shaft and the steering wheel acted like a speaker. There are 2 cheap rivets holding it together. You can feel the slop and feel the creaking noise very easily when turning the steering wheel while you have your hand on the coupler. I sprayed some lubricate at the top of the coupler. It took a few minutes to work in the lubricant but eventually the noise went away. If the noise does come back I will drill out one rivet at a time and install a bolt with a locking nut and tighten it down good. I have included pictures. Please let me know if this help anyone out.

If you plan on bringing it to the dealer, I would suggest mentioning the bulletin that cjvp56 posted. S2119000001

Lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_4015.JPEG
    IMG_4015.JPEG
    176 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4016.JPEG
    IMG_4016.JPEG
    155.5 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread