5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog hauler and dog pics

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great looking dogs and good job rescuing one! It's nice to be able to give them a much better life!
Thanks. Our first dog was a german shepherd/rottweiler mix that was a rescue. She was a great dog, as is Stitch. I absolutely recommend rescuing if you can.
I never saw myself as someone who would "shop" for a dog instead of getting them from a shelter, but obviously we've done it a few times. I jokingly refer to Kilo (Rottie) as a "rescue" because the guy we got him from was arrested for killing/eating the dogs. It wasn't long after we adopted him either so I tell him he could have been lunch instead of a pet. ← ← like he knows what I'm saying. Yes I'm the looney toon that talks to my dogs (but not with that annoying baby talk).

AartWessels

Reaction score
First of all, that's a gorgeous pup.

As for tethering. You can clip-in to the child seat loop. There's one next to each of the rear head restraints so they're nice and high making them accessible over the hamock.
Thank you, I think he's gorgeous as well :-D

I'll have a look into that, thanks!
Maybe the seatbelt buckles are also accessible with the seat folded? Never tried, but I noticed an opening when look at some of the above pictures.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They may be accessible with the seats up, I've never actually looked either. I see the gap you're talking about though.

AartWessels

Reaction score
They may be accessible with the seats up, I've never actually looked either. I see the gap you're talking about though.
Yeah, the thing is, I use a tether which just clicks in, and it's made for that purpose

Sherran

Reaction score
My two rescue children: 4 year old Lulu the, will tolerate anything as long as you pet me and let me lick you, chocolate lab/pit mix and my 3 year old Blue the overly dramatic, mega cry baby, zoomies 4 life, abuse my sister but she loves me anyway, drools for food, the world revolves around me Texas Blue Lacy.

Lulu Lion .jpg Blue.jpg troublemakers.jpg 1.jpg lol.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Idaho970

Reaction score
That looks great!
Just one question; do you tether your pups somehow?

I currently have a hammock, which serves great for our pup, and allows us to easily tether him with a good harness, but he has difficulties getting out of the car, because the ramp doesn't reach the height of the seats, and he's getting heavier every day. So I'm looking in to a solution similar to yours, but as the seatbelts are not longer accessible, I wouldn't know how to tether him :-|

View attachment 98848
Only when I go on long trips to be honest. They always wear harnesses as I don't like using just a collar (too easy to slip out of in panic mode). I agree with @Shots, using the child harness at the top works well, even with the seats folded up!
First of all, that's a gorgeous pup.

As for tethering. You can clip-in to the child seat loop. There's one next to each of the rear head restraints so they're nice and high making them accessible over the hamock.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Our first dog was a german shepherd/rottweiler mix that was a rescue. She was a great dog, as is Stitch. I absolutely recommend rescuing if you can.
I never saw myself as someone who would "shop" for a dog instead of getting them from a shelter, but obviously we've done it a few times. I jokingly refer to Kilo (Rottie) as a "rescue" because the guy we got him from was arrested for killing/eating the dogs. It wasn't long after we adopted him either so I tell him he could have been lunch instead of a pet. ← ← like he knows what I'm saying. Yes I'm the looney toon that talks to my dogs (but not with that annoying baby talk).

Wow Kilos owner sounds like a real monster, glad you got him out in time! And haha oh you're not alone on the talking to the dogs, we have some deep conversations with ours as well!

And I agree I like going the rescue option, our border collie/lab mix (or borador as their known) is a rescue from a high kill shelter in Tennessee (part of the reason we think she didn't do well in our vehicles for a long time, such a long and probably not great ride up from Tennessee). Love all dogs and wish they could all find good homes.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My two rescue children: 4 year old Lulu the, will tolerate anything as long as you pet me and let me lick you, chocolate lab/pit mix and my 3 year old Blue the overly dramatic, mega cry baby, zoomies 4 life, abuse my sister but she loves me anyway, drools for food, the world revolves around me Texas Blue Lacy.

View attachment 98859 View attachment 98857 View attachment 98860 View attachment 98852 View attachment 98858 View attachment 98853 View attachment 98854 View attachment 98855 View attachment 98856
They look like they get along great!!! I really like that tennis ball photo. Lacy looks like she's expecting it to attack her. ha ha

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow Kilos owner sounds like a real monster, glad you got him out in time! And haha oh you're not alone on the talking to the dogs, we have some deep conversations with ours as well!

And I agree I like going the rescue option, our border collie/lab mix (or borador as their known) is a rescue from a high kill shelter in Tennessee (part of the reason we think she didn't do well in our vehicles for a long time, such a long and probably not great ride up from Tennessee). Love all dogs and wish they could all find good homes.
Yeah my wife saw the news story when it broken and she said "isn't that the guy we got Kilo from". She did some digging (she keeps papers for everything) and sure enough it was him. Mind blown.

Stitch is afraid to go for rides. She doesn't vomit or anything but she's clearly very nervous, panting, drooling, pacing etc. She's much more relaxed if Radar rides with her. I can only figure she's expecting to get abandoned every time she's in a car and having a "friend" with her reassures her that she's coming home.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to my dogs. I used to have "long talks" with my first dog all the time. I'd sit on the back steps and she'd sit next to me. She'd sit with her hindquarters on the same step I was sitting on, and her front paws a step or two down. It was like she was trying to sit like a human. Good times.

We joke that Kilo is very polite. If he's laying in the doorway (which he fills) I just say "excuse me sir" and he'll move aside.
Likewise, if we're walking and someone is coming I can tell Radar to "make a hole" and he'll fall in line so people can pass.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah my wife saw the news story when it broken and she said "isn't that the guy we got Kilo from". She did some digging (she keeps papers for everything) and sure enough it was him. Mind blown.

Stitch is afraid to go for rides. She doesn't vomit or anything but she's clearly very nervous, panting, drooling, pacing etc. She's much more relaxed if Radar rides with her. I can only figure she's expecting to get abandoned every time she's in a car and having a "friend" with her reassures her that she's coming home.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to my dogs. I used to have "long talks" with my first dog all the time. I'd sit on the back steps and she'd sit next to me. She'd sit with her hindquarters on the same step I was sitting on, and her front paws a step or two down. It was like she was trying to sit like a human. Good times.

We joke that Kilo is very polite. If he's laying in the doorway (which he fills) I just say "excuse me sir" and he'll move aside.
Likewise, if we're walking and someone is coming I can tell Radar to "make a hole" and he'll fall in line so people can pass.

They are so funny with their personalities, I couldn't imagine life without them. Nothing like having that loyalty and love from them, it's always nice to see others who are trying to do the same in return. I'm actually currently looking for pet friendly air bnbs for our next trip for our daughters softball, we love taking her along when we can!

The car thing and them feeling the possibility of abandonment is a tough one. Our first long trip away (flying to California so we weren't able to take her) away was especially brutal trying to leave, even though she was staying in the same house with a friend of ours while we were gone. We tried to make it as ideal as possible for her but man she seemed like she was panicking when we were leaving. She saw lots of bags going into the truck and I think she thought we were leaving for good, we felt so horrible on that drive to the airport. Now it's not as bad, I think she knows we would never leave her behind but it still can be tough to go places without her on some of our trips.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Non-dog people probably think we're nuts, but they definitely worry when their humans leave. Somehow they can tell the difference between a trip to the store or a vacation/deployment/etc. I have found that taking the bulk of the luggage out to the garage a day or two early seems to help on departure day. Not just for getting out the door on time, but the dogs seem less stressed too.

joshfishtail

Reaction score
Here is my setup for the back seat, which I made for a 12 hour road trip with the pups. I used upholstery foam from Jo-Anne Fabrics, cut to the right size, and stacked 3 layers for it to be even with the seat. Downside is I lost all the storage ability for the back seat. I think I'll make a wooden platform with one layer of foam on top so I can still store things underneath.

Pic of the back seat setup, as well as the creatures I cater to.

B5559980-F2C5-4DF5-8319-3E4C38D3CCD1_1_105_c.jpeg FB8D1F41-A666-4351-B1F0-CE615DF6C4FB_1_105_c.jpeg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my setup for the back seat,... ...Downside is I lost all the storage ability for the back seat. I think I'll make a wooden platform with one layer of foam on top so I can still store things underneath.

Yeah, that was one of the things I was looking to be able to do when I made mine. I like that I can still put stuff under the seat/platform. One of my biggest complaints about my Jeep was that I had nowhere to put anything without crowding the dog(s). It's nice to have storage space.

joshfishtail

Reaction score
Yeah, that was one of the things I was looking to be able to do when I made mine. I like that I can still put stuff under the seat/platform. One of my biggest complaints about my Jeep was that I had nowhere to put anything without crowding the dog(s). It's nice to have storage space.
Agreed. I have a weatherproof tonneau cover so we can store most things in the bed when we travel, but there's still plenty of things like food that we don't want in the bed when it's 90+ degrees outside.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
uCa13aJ.jpeg
ioQG5v8.jpeg

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is our new family addition. We are having a issue naming her. She is a 9 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback liver nose with hazel eyes. She has been a handful to say the least.
Name suggestions are welcomed

Attachments

• 20210801_104830.jpg
    20210801_104830.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210730_201238.jpg
    20210730_201238.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210727_191203.jpg
    20210727_191203.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210725_183008.jpg
    20210725_183008.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 31

Redfour5

Reaction score
Nice adaptation. Glad to see I'm not the only one who makes things for the dog.

With that said, anyone have dog pics? Let's see those Ram Dogs.
I did the same. I came from a 2015 with the fold flat floor that was the perfect height for big dogs to look out. The new 2021 has a bigger flatter floor but the looks in the dogs eyes when they couldn't see out was too much so I build my own flat floor and there is a lot of room. I set the height at what would be the bottom of seats. In the back there are rubber stops for if the seat is down. That set the height that was below the vents etc. I did cut outs around the middle console area so I can get to the plugs IF necessary. I used a 2 inch twin memory foam mattress (from the 2015) and it is just a bit short of twin size length but almost exact for width. Three 90 lb dogs can actually lay in the back. I don't have three. A 5'9" human could sleep back there slightly scrunched length wise. And the storage underneath is great for ALL the dog things. AND, if you note, the doors were like they were made for dog water bottles, dog leads, and chuck it (tennis) balls fit perfect in the storage in the console. You can just see the edge of one of the "glow" chuckies in there... This has worked perfect. You do need to put the seats forward to install AFTER putting your seats into the comfy position you want. You come very close to having a twin sized bed area back there... 20210719_085028.jpg 20210719_085223.jpg 20200928_125137_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is our new family addition. We are having a issue naming her. She is a 9 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback liver nose with hazel eyes. She has been a handful to say the least.
Name suggestions are welcomed
Oh just for the recond, i want her name to be Rammi

Attachments

• 20210727_191119.jpg
    20210727_191119.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210726_213957.jpg
    20210726_213957.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210726_135446.jpg
    20210726_135446.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 27