5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog hauler and dog pics

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Ram last week so I guess this is my first mod. I have a dog that I take everywhere with me (long story) and I wanted her ride to be as comfortable as I could. My last Ram was a Crew cab so I had the fold flat floors. This truck is a QC because the short bed on the CC drove me nuts.
I was going to make my own fold flat floor but the folded seat takes up quite a bit of her room. Instead, I made this platform that mounts on top of the rear seat. I made it two piece so it's easy to put in or take out if I actually need to use the seats.

Nothing too fancy. It's just a simple piece of 1/2" plywood with foam mat on top and wrapped in carpet. Three "legs" made from black iron pipe that nest into pockets on the platform keep it from tilting forward. The "feet" of the legs are flanges so the load (what little there is) is spread out a bit more than on a 3/4" pipe. On the rear I have wood spacers to keep the platform from teetering backward. Now she has a nice flat padded surface to rest on while we drive.

I attached a few photos to show my creation (and a few of the dog). The photos with the stuffed toy are from my Ram, and the other is from my Jeep (I sold it for the truck). As you can see she likes to rest her chin on the console. Please ignore the blanket, it's supposed to keep some of the fur off the seat (losing battle) but I flipped it up to photo the platform. I'm going to replace it with black/gray one but it's what we had handy in the meantime.

And for all of those wondering, yes she is tethered when we drive. I secure her harness to the vehicle to keep her safe. I'm going to have to make a new tether though so I can tie her off the child restraints anchors of the truck where she had previously been tied to the rollbar of the Jeep.

Anyone else transport their dog(s) on a regular basis? What methods do you use?
And of course we can't talk about our dogs without posting photos of them, so let's see your dogs and/or their transport set-ups.

Attachments

• Dog platform (1).jpg
    Dog platform (1).jpg
    251 KB · Views: 414
  • Dog platform (2).jpg
    Dog platform (2).jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Buckles new ride 2.jpg
    Buckles new ride 2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Buckles new ride.jpg
    Buckles new ride.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Buckles.jpg
    Buckles.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

sandman98

Reaction score
I did a similar thing for my Crew Cab. Plywood base that rests on the floor, covered with a high density foam pad and felt automotive carpeting. Built it the same height as the backseat so my pup can sprawl out in the backseat. Only extended it past the center console to make entry and exit a bit easier for her, as she can step up the running board then to the floor and hop up onto the seat. I also have a Kurgo Extended seat cover to protect the leather from my (often wet or dirty) Labrador. 99FFD3B0-46C0-4946-A323-8F86A9B8B6FB.jpeg AD14F81A-76AC-48AB-B251-312F2D7CB3FE.jpeg 591624E6-1020-4210-9050-57BA00CF5B9E.jpeg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice adaptation. Glad to see I'm not the only one who makes things for the dog.

With that said, anyone have dog pics? Let's see those Ram Dogs.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They look awfully happy. Although the first one looks like it's ready to go for a ride.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did a similar thing for my Crew Cab. Plywood base that rests on the floor, covered with a high density foam pad and felt automotive carpeting. Built it the same height as the backseat so my pup can sprawl out in the backseat. Only extended it past the center console to make entry and exit a bit easier for her, as she can step up the running board then to the floor and hop up onto the seat. I also have a Kurgo Extended seat cover to protect the leather from my (often wet or dirty) Labrador. View attachment 98552 View attachment 98553 View attachment 98554
Good god, the fur! (I feel your pain!)

BlueMoose

Reaction score
My dogs are Mini Schnauzers, so my "dog deck" is easily removable for when I do dog runs (I do rescue transport for various breeds - usually 100-lb Anatolian Shepherds).

I also mounted a strip of yoga mat on the door ledge to provide non-slip traction for my dog who likes to stick her head out the window.

Attachments

• 20210502_135320.jpg
    20210502_135320.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 20210502_140046.jpg
    20210502_140046.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 242

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL "glitter", I love it.

KEEP THE DOG PICS COMING

It's been a while since I had a CC. Dang, there's freaking acreage in that cab.
PS, I like the term "dog deck" too, that's a good way to describe them.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Good ideas for sure!

I just bought my Ram this week and am looking for the right way (for me) to transport my two pooches. I bird hunt with my two dogs and just switched from a 4Runner to a Ram. Still figuring things out.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a back seat hammock and the door covers to protect the interior. Our dog loves being buckled in and still having free range of the back seat, she used to not be very good at all in vehicles prior to us trying the hammock style covers. We have a 3 year old border collie/lab mix (and some other things) and sometimes we also have my buddies dog along with us too (11 year old lab mix)..

In my car:
IMG_2925.JPG IMG_3180.JPG

Old truck:
IMG_3717.jpg IMG_3720.JPG

New truck we got a larger cover for the back seat (first one pictured above was for my gf's jetta but still worked good enough in that truck), covers a lot more:

IMG_5597.jpg

And getting her acquainted with the new truck for when we take her to softball:
IMG_5589.jpeg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those hammocks work great, but they always looked sloppy to me. Although so does the blanket my wife put over the dog deck I made. Maybe I'm weird but I'd rather clean up dog hair than have the blanket there. There's a reason I carpeted it without outdoor carpet... so it cleans up easy. Ugh.
Anyway, hammocks work well, I know a lot of people who use them. I'll be making a "net" soon to span between the seats for safety. My dog doesn't try to come forward, but it'll work similarly to the tether attached to the child seat loop in the event of a crash.

I made this for my Jeep and plan to make a similar one for the Ram. Easily removable, open enough for the dogs to not feel separated while being closed enough to hold them back if needed.
Dog catcher.jpg

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those hammocks work great, but they always looked sloppy to me. Although so does the blanket my wife put over the dog deck I made. Maybe I'm weird but I'd rather clean up dog hair than have the blanket there. There's a reason I carpeted it without outdoor carpet... so it cleans up easy. Ugh.
Anyway, hammocks work well, I know a lot of people who use them. I'll be making a "net" soon to span between the seats for safety. My dog doesn't try to come forward, but it'll work similarly to the tether attached to the child seat loop in the event of a crash.

I made this for my Jeep and plan to make a similar one for the Ram. Easily removable, open enough for the dogs to not feel separated while being closed enough to hold them back if needed.
View attachment 98724

Agreed on the look of the hammock, my new one fits a lot better than the older/smaller one but I still take it out right after it's no longer needed. Our dog sheds quite a bit and on occasion still may throw up during rides, so it really saves us and the interior quite a bit.

Liking the sounds of your custom setup, any pictures of the doggo?

Powerbandjohnny

Reaction score
07b07b0e4b0b4d390e01f03ad83de433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho970

Reaction score
Right there with ya! Have two Australian Shepards that I wanted to keep off the leather. Built out two benches so that it can be easily removed, and you can remove just one and still use the drive side fold down seat. Added in some fatigue mat below the carpeting so they are comfortable on long rides. Made sure the height was tall enough so that I could fit things under the benches, but also so make sure they are level with the AC vents so they can stay cool. So far they haven't complained! The older dog sometimes has trouble jumping that high, so I keep a ramp in the bed. yes, I know, my dogs are spoiled. Guess that goes with the territory when you're married to a Veterinarian!

B6A7ECED-762F-4891-85C4-0039B688B0E4_1_201_a.jpeg

382DD7FC-C7ED-4D40-9C53-F48E81558F17_1_201_a.jpeg

54560553-85EF-4EE6-BD44-18FF94061F21_1_201_a.jpeg

DE6728F1-9B34-423C-B532-127B521892BB.jpeg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed on the look of the hammock, my new one fits a lot better than the older/smaller one but I still take it out right after it's no longer needed. Our dog sheds quite a bit and on occasion still may throw up during rides, so it really saves us and the interior quite a bit.

Liking the sounds of your custom setup, any pictures of the doggo?
Yeah if they were throwing up I'd definitely use something that protects the seats.

And funny you ask about the dog. I asked for dog pics and didn't even post my own. Oops.
We've got 4:
Our oldest Buckles is a blue heeler (aka Queensland Heeler). She's the one that gets to ride everywhere. This photo she's posing with Radar the Pitbull (or more specifically a American Staffordshire Terrier). Both of them are older than this but it's a good photo of them.
20160827_230245 resize.jpg

Kilo, Rottweiler wearing a coat my wife made out of some old fatigues. He's giving a little "smile" for the camera.
IMG_20190312_222020_01 resize.jpg

And our youngest, Stitch. We don't know a lot about her other than she was abused. We got her from a rescue, and we're told she's a Cane Corso mix, but they don't know what the mix is. A side note: she doesn't have that collar, I hate those. This is a picture from the rescue.
IMG_20191119_153330_01.jpg

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah if they were throwing up I'd definitely use something that protects the seats.

And funny you ask about the dog. I asked for dog pics and didn't even post my own. Oops.
We've got 4:
Our oldest Buckles is a blue heeler (aka Queensland Heeler). She's the one that gets to ride everywhere. This photo she's posing with Radar the Pitbull (or more specifically a American Staffordshire Terrier). Both of them are older than this but it's a good photo of them.
View attachment 98817

Kilo, Rottweiler wearing a coat my wife made out of some old fatigues. He's giving a little "smile" for the camera.
View attachment 98816

And our youngest, Stitch. We don't know a lot about her other than she was abused. We got her from a rescue, and we're told she's a Cane Corso mix, but they don't know what the mix is. A side note: she doesn't have that collar, I hate those. This is a picture from the rescue.
View attachment 98818

Great looking dogs and good job rescuing one! It's nice to be able to give them a much better life!

AartWessels

Reaction score
Right there with ya! Have two Australian Shepards that I wanted to keep off the leather. Built out two benches so that it can be easily removed, and you can remove just one and still use the drive side fold down seat. Added in some fatigue mat below the carpeting so they are comfortable on long rides. Made sure the height was tall enough so that I could fit things under the benches, but also so make sure they are level with the AC vents so they can stay cool. So far they haven't complained! The older dog sometimes has trouble jumping that high, so I keep a ramp in the bed. yes, I know, my dogs are spoiled. Guess that goes with the territory when you're married to a Veterinarian!

View attachment 98769

View attachment 98770

View attachment 98771

View attachment 98773
That looks great!
Just one question; do you tether your pups somehow?

I currently have a hammock, which serves great for our pup, and allows us to easily tether him with a good harness, but he has difficulties getting out of the car, because the ramp doesn't reach the height of the seats, and he's getting heavier every day. So I'm looking in to a solution similar to yours, but as the seatbelts are not longer accessible, I wouldn't know how to tether him :-|

Photo from Aart.jpg

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks great!
Just one question; do you tether your pups somehow?

I currently have a hammock, which serves great for our pup, and allows us to easily tether him with a good harness, but he has difficulties getting out of the car, because the ramp doesn't reach the height of the seats, and he's getting heavier every day. So I'm looking in to a solution similar to yours, but as the seatbelts are not longer accessible, I wouldn't know how to tether him :-|

View attachment 98848
First of all, that's a gorgeous pup.

As for tethering. You can clip-in to the child seat loop. There's one next to each of the rear head restraints so they're nice and high making them accessible over the hamock.

Users who are viewing this thread