5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the RAM 1500 have autostop?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are a lot of calculations that happen. Things like how big is the object, how fast you are coming up on a stopped object, are you pressing the accelerator, and if so, how much. There are others also. But if there is a car stopped at a stop light and you are accelerating up to it and the system doesn't think you will stop, it will engage. Thinking it only works for moving objects is completely false.
I mean reading the manual explains how both features work.
FCW is at 3 mph, so that would stop you going forward unless you have it turned off (as I do for the front and rear).

This is from my manual
1693403274617.png

But ACC does not work on stationary objects, as I said even FCW will not beep when almost hitting a parked car like in this exact picture below from the manual.
1693403078479.png

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I mean reading the manual explains how both features work.
FCW is at 3 mph, so that would stop you going forward unless you have it turned off (as I do for the front and rear).

This is from my manual
View attachment 166272

But ACC does not work on stationary objects, as I said even FCW will not beep when almost hitting a parked car like in this exact picture below from the manual.
View attachment 166270
ACC and FCW are 2 different things. We aren't even talking about ACC. I don't even know why you brought it up. What's ACC have to do with this discussion? I've read the manuals, and the detailed service manual, and I've done my tests. The OPs question never had anything to do with FCW, but with ParkSense. I explained in detail the facts on how it works.

And ACC can see stationary objects. Try enabling it while a stopped car is in front of you. It will tell you there is a stationary object in front of you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
ACC and FCW are 2 different things. We aren't even talking about ACC. I don't even know why you brought it up. What's ACC have to do with this discussion? I've read the manuals, and the detailed service manual, and I've done my tests. The OPs question never had anything to do with FCW, but with ParkSense. I explained in detail the facts on how it works.

And ACC can see stationary objects. Try enabling it while a stopped car is in front of you. It will tell you there is a stationary object in front of you.
OP has a 2022 Limited and the thread is titled "Does the RAM 1500 have autostop?"
What I linked is relevant

Obviously none of the features are foolproof and can not be fully relied upon to prevent hitting anything but with that said...
If OP has all his features enabled (by default they are) going over 3mph forward will stop him before he hits something going forward via FCW.
Going backwards under (I believe 20mph) parksense would stop him from hitting something.

You can disable the braking for the front FCW to alert only, if you also disable the alert it puts a warning light on your dash 24/7.
You can disable the pedestrian breaking in the same menu as above and it generates another warning light on the dash 24/7
You can disable the rear breaking assist via park sense. You can also disable the front and rear park sensors via the switches below the radio.

FCW and ParkSense are 2 different systems, you can still run into a bush a high speed.
This is incorrect as OPs 2022 Limited has FCW which would stop him from running into a bush at over 3 mph or higher per the manual.

It won't stop going forward automatically with ParkSense. That is absolutely not part of the system. Backing up is, but not going forward. You can test this by putting a cardboard box in front of the truck so the sensors register that it is there and then creep forward. It will hit it and push it, but it will never stop.
This is correct, but it will stop going forward if OP is going 3 mph or higher via FCW regardless of what feature you want to call it, his 22 Limited has it.

ParkSense disables after 7 MPH.
This is incorrect, the manual states 3mph and above FCW will take over, which OP's 22 Limited would have.
So, I guess if you want to try running into your garage wall at say 10 mph, it should try to stop you. But under 7, it won't for sure
This is also incorrect, see the above.
And to be clear, had you pulled up to the pile of leaves like your were parking, the front sensors would kick in and start beeping. But at that point, you could drive through them under 7 mph.
This is incorrect, going 3mph would allow FCW to engage, and stop the truck unless it was disabled and set to alert only.

Let's us know how it goes. I'd love to be proven wrong. Could you imagine being off road in bumper tall grass and your truck stopping every time you try to pull forward? I've been there. It beeps red at me, but NEVER stops. Of course, I was only in it for about 20 seconds otherwise I'd have to turn the front sensors off or it would drive me nuts.
These are incorrect assumptions, Ram clearly states it would stop, and to disable it per the manual if off-road to prevent unnecessary warnings\stopping.
1693408921264.png

vincentw56

Reaction score
OP has a 2022 Limited and the thread is titled "Does the RAM 1500 have autostop?"
What I linked is relevant

Obviously none of the features are foolproof and can not be fully relied upon to prevent hitting anything but with that said...
If OP has all his features enabled (by default they are) going over 3mph forward will stop him before he hits something going forward via FCW.
Going backwards under (I believe 20mph) parksense would stop him from hitting something.

You can disable the braking for the front FCW to alert only, if you also disable the alert it puts a warning light on your dash 24/7.
You can disable the pedestrian breaking in the same menu as above and it generates another warning light on the dash 24/7
You can disable the rear breaking assist via park sense. You can also disable the front and rear park sensors via the switches below the radio.

This is incorrect as OPs 2022 Limited has FCW which would stop him from running into a bush at over 3 mph or higher per the manual.

This is correct, but it will stop going forward if OP is going 3 mph or higher via FCW regardless of what feature you want to call it, his 22 Limited has it.

This is incorrect, the manual states 3mph and above FCW will take over, which OP's 22 Limited would have.

This is also incorrect, see the above.

This is incorrect, going 3mph would allow FCW to engage, and stop the truck unless it was disabled and set to alert only.

These are incorrect assumptions, Ram clearly states it would stop, and to disable it per the manual if off-road to prevent unnecessary warnings\stopping.
View attachment 166282
Yep, you are completely right as usual. Sorry guys for all the misinformation that my real world research and technical engineering research found. I was mistaken and now I'm set right.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, you are completely right as usual. Sorry guys for all the misinformation that my real world research and technical engineering research found. I was mistaken and now I'm set right.
Just listing what is in the owners manual. I don't use these "features" in day to day life unless it happens by mistake but it's all in the manual as long as your truck came with the features from the factory that OPs 2022 would of.

23RAM

Reaction score
Good decision, you can never be right when he believes there's something to argue. If you dare prove him wrong, he calls you a liar and ignores the proof. Best to just let him believe he's right about everything and move on. 😁

23RAM

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited.

I just read this thread and decided to look up my window sticker. I have the following listed on my sticker: ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop
My truck has it too, and I think that's a mis-wording issue - ParkSense only brakes in reverse. Forward it simply alerts you to a possible obstacle - I guess it's programmed to presume you can see where you're going and you'll stop on your own. In reverse it likely presumes you can't see something small behind the tailgate or bumper and applies the brakes. That's been my experience.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck has it too, and I think that's a mis-wording issue - ParkSense only brakes in reverse. Forward it simply alerts you to a possible obstacle - I guess it's programmed to presume you can see where you're going and you'll stop on your own. In reverse it likely presumes you can't see something small behind the tailgate or bumper and applies the brakes. That's been my experience.
What miswording?
It's in your owners manual and I highly recommend reading it in it's entirety it since you just bought an expensive new truck.

1693424119828.png
1693424364059.png
1693424426363.png

This is also Parksense (the one that steers for you)
1693424519480.png

vincentw56

Reaction score
What miswording?
It's in your owners manual and I highly recommend reading it in it's entirety it since you just bought an expensive new truck.

View attachment 166297
View attachment 166298
View attachment 166299

This is also Parksense (the one that steers for you)
View attachment 166302
They are talking about the window sticker that says something like ParkSense FR/RR Park Assist w/Stop. ParkSense DOES NOT stop while going forward. It only does while backing up. It's right there is the owner's manual.

whazzzzzup17

Reaction score
As a 2022 Limited owner who has drove into several brushes intentionally while parking, I can confirm that only the back will auto stop.

While driving on the freeway 50+ mph, I have often received a random warning/beeping but I don't think it got close enough to auto stop while driving at high speeds.

vincentw56

Reaction score
As a 2022 Limited owner who has drove into several brushes intentionally while parking, I can confirm that only the back will auto stop.

While driving on the freeway 50+ mph, I have often received a random warning/beeping but I don't think it got close enough to auto stop while driving at high speeds.
Thanks for the validation.

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Hello – I have a limited RAM 1500 2022 and I noticed on my middle console I have two switches - 1 to turn off the back auto stop and 1 to turn off the front auto stop, however, I have never turned off the front sensor and my car has never auto stopped when parking in front of a brush. it will just keep going into the bush. I'm worried if there something hard in front that it isn't working properly. The back sensor will stop my truck if I'm approaching a bush. Is there something wrong with my front sensor?
Very good question !!! I have a 2023 and yes it stopped twice while in reverse but haven't tested the front! So mine stopped my truck when trying to back up over a palm frond and it was alarming
Anyway tomorrow I'll try to drive over one that sticks up above the bumper to see if it does and get back to you

23RAM

Reaction score
Very good question !!! I have a 2023 and yes it stopped twice while in reverse but haven't tested the front! So mine stopped my truck when trying to back up over a palm frond and it was alarming
Leave the tailgate down, or a ball in the hitch, and you'll be alarmed again.
:)

6of36

Reaction score
Leave the tailgate down, or a ball in the hitch, and you'll be alarmed again.
:)
I always have the ball on, and never had an issue. The tailgate down was a surprise the first time I did it.

23RAM

Reaction score
I always have the ball on, and never had an issue. The tailgate down was a surprise the first time I did it.
Maybe your ball is set lower? Mine is a 2" drop which places the top of the ball even with the top of the receiver and it always triggers the audible alert, but only sometimes triggers the brakes. I only put in the draw bar when I'm towing to keep the ball and bar from rusting, and it avoids any issues.

Dewey

Reaction score
I disabled the auto stop in reverse because I think it’s a ridiculous feature. How much more idiot proof do they need to make vehicles these days? We already have a rear camera for christ sake. How did we all survive for so many years with nothing except using mirrors, looking over our shoulders or in extreme case walking behind your truck and looking for yourself?😆

I ordered my last truck with no park sensors and loved not having all the extra noise and alerts unless disabled. Really wish I did the same this time but they were included.

23RAM

Reaction score
I disabled the auto stop in reverse because I think it’s a ridiculous feature. How much more idiot proof do they need to make vehicles these days? We already have a rear camera for christ sake. How did we all survive for so many years with nothing except using mirrors, looking over our shoulders or in extreme case walking behind your truck and looking for yourself?
I agree, they shouldn't be necessary but I'm glad they're there. I don't use the backup camera when reversing, I use the mirrors, and the camera and sensors are useless when backing up a trailer. So I just glance at the camera when I back up to ensure a kid or idiot adult doesn't walk behind the truck. Even if it's clear, morons still walk behind a moving truck and the sensors let me know if I don't see them in one of the mirrors.

Av1

Reaction score
2022 Laramie owner here. Only the back will auto stop.

whazzzzzup17

Reaction score
I disabled the auto stop in reverse because I think it’s a ridiculous feature. How much more idiot proof do they need to make vehicles these days? We already have a rear camera for christ sake. How did we all survive for so many years with nothing except using mirrors, looking over our shoulders or in extreme case walking behind your truck and looking for yourself?😆

I ordered my last truck with no park sensors and loved not having all the extra noise and alerts unless disabled. Really wish I did the same this time but they were included.
I would agree for the back, but the front would be extremely useful because I can't see over the hood. Near light poles, bollards, other cars and bushes, etc.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would agree for the back, but the front would be extremely useful because I can't see over the hood. Near light poles, bollards, other cars and bushes, etc.
There are cameras in front... Or maybe i'm just spoiled for 360 degree view and rear view camera?

Users who are viewing this thread