5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the RAM 1500 have autostop?

whazzzzzup17

Reaction score
Hello – I have a limited RAM 1500 2022 and I noticed on my middle console I have two switches - 1 to turn off the back auto stop and 1 to turn off the front auto stop, however, I have never turned off the front sensor and my car has never auto stopped when parking in front of a brush. it will just keep going into the bush. I'm worried if there something hard in front that it isn't working properly. The back sensor will stop my truck if I'm approaching a bush. Is there something wrong with my front sensor?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those are ParkSense sensors for showing you how close you are to something. The front has no emergency braking. The rear should have it, but to turn it on and off, you need to go into the Uconnect settings under braking (I think).

whazzzzzup17

Reaction score
Gotcha. Just out of courisity, if I was to rear end someone, would the car still stop if approaching someone while driving? My wifes honda civil does this for safety.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You should have FCW+ since it is a 2022. Or maybe it was 2023s that came with it. Do you have adaptive cruise control? This is also in the UConnect settings, but it is separate from the ParkSense system. The FCW+ uses a camera and radar in the top of the windshield.

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can conform 2023 Limited has FCW - it will flash/beep and eventually engage the brakes if it has to. I'm pretty aggressive and usually get on my way before any braking starts. LOL! I leave it on for now as the truck is new and I want to be sure things are functioning...I am sure I will eventually turn it off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should have FCW+ since it is a 2022. Or maybe it was 2023s that came with it. Do you have adaptive cruise control? This is also in the UConnect settings, but it is separate from the ParkSense system. The FCW+ uses a camera in the top of the windshield.
2022s have it.
You can disable it but you get an error light on your dash.
You can set it to alert only, and no light (but it's loud as hell and hurts your ears and could cause an accident itself because of how loud and abrupt it is)

Loudram

Reaction score
Another confirmation. My truck has FCW and I don't have adaptive cruise. I had someone abruptly brake and turn right in front of me. It definitely works. I think the auto braking is disabled under 5 MPH but it'll still beep, that's why you can still run into a bush at low speed.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Another confirmation. My truck has FCW and I don't have adaptive cruise. I had someone abruptly brake and turn right in front of me. It definitely works. I think the auto braking is disabled under 5 MPH but it'll still beep, that's why you can still run into a bush at low speed.

FCW and ParkSense are 2 different systems, you can still run into a bush a high speed.

whazzzzzup17

Reaction score
Ok, I have both but assumed it was part of the same system.
Are you sure you have both? I have a 2022 Limited and I have Parksense for the front and the back but it only stops for the back, not front. I may have the FCW though, I just need to check. I have heard it beep before when I was driving 30+ mph under an underpass but it didn't stop or anything. I think it was a misread and thought I was going to hit something.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
can conform 2023 Limited has FCW - it will flash/beep and eventually engage the brakes if it has to. I'm pretty aggressive and usually get on my way before any braking starts. LOL! I leave it on for now as the truck is new and I want to be sure things are functioning...I am sure I will eventually turn it off.

My 21 Laramie had FCW+braking. I'm also aggressive, so I turned down the sensitivity in UConnect.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My 21 Bighorn has FCSCCS. It visually detects objects in front of the truck and automatically applies pressure to the large pedal with a size 13 foot. It's a pretty effective system. It has a warning siren that is pretty loud in emergency situations and is even programmed to curse in minor situations and apply a middle finger symbol in the window as needed.

I think it stands for Forward Common Sense Collison Control System.

I did find it to be ineffective against fast moving deer other than the siren that combined with cursing. I had a heck of a time shutting it off after a deer strike once.

beetlespin

Reaction score
My 2022 Bighorn has none of the new fancy features and I like it this way. The wife's SUV has these and we turn them all off. I have been driving for 47 years and have been doing fine without them.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Laramie here. My truck has automatically stopped going forward and backward with ParkSense. Forward Collision Warning also has given me warnings, but it has never engaged the brakes yet.

vincentw56

Reaction score
2021 Laramie here. My truck has automatically stopped going forward and backward with ParkSense. Forward Collision Warning also has given me warnings, but it has never engaged the brakes yet.
It won't stop going forward automatically with ParkSense. That is absolutely not part of the system. Backing up is, but not going forward. You can test this by putting a cardboard box in front of the truck so the sensors register that it is there and then creep forward. It will hit it and push it, but it will never stop.

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie has FCW. I think it came with the Advanced Safety Group with Adaptive Cruise and other things.

I disabled the Rear Braking on the Parking Sensors. It would slam on the brakes for a curb. I don't think it works with the Front
Parking Sensors.

Malodave

Loudram

Reaction score
Are you sure you have both? I have a 2022 Limited and I have Parksense for the front and the back but it only stops for the back, not front. I may have the FCW though, I just need to check. I have heard it beep before when I was driving 30+ mph under an underpass but it didn't stop or anything. I think it was a misread and thought I was going to hit something.
It stops going forward. I was pulling out of my driveway and my neighbor had a pile of leaves in the street. I was going to drive through them but when I tried the truck alerted fwd collision and slammed on the brakes. I was going less than 10 MPH. Here it is on my window sticker. It's called pedestrian emergency braking. It's under the level 1 safety group.

Screenshot_20230829_135250_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230829_135416_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
It stops going forward. I was pulling out of my driveway and my neighbor had a pile of leaves in the street. I was going to drive through them but when I tried the truck alerted fwd collision and slammed on the brakes. I was going less than 10 MPH. Here it is on my window sticker. It's called pedestrian emergency braking. It's under the level 1 safety group.

View attachment 166209 View attachment 166210
That's a different system then ParkSense. FCW and ParkSense are 2 different systems and you can have ParkSense without FCW on older vehicles. I think FCW is now required on all newer vehicles. And technically have FCW without ParkSense. ParkSense disables after 7 MPH. Then FCW takes over. FCW uses the radar and camera in the windshield. ParkSense uses the sensors in the bumper. The emergency rear braking is part of ParkSense and uses the rear backup camera for cross path detection and emergency stopping. That's why it goes off even if the rear sensors don't show you close to anything.

Loudram

Reaction score
That's a different system then ParkSense. FCW and ParkSense are 2 different systems and you can have ParkSense without FCW on older vehicles. I think FCW is now required on all newer vehicles. And technically have FCW without ParkSense. ParkSense disables after 7 MPH. Then FCW takes over. FCW uses the radar and camera in the windshield. ParkSense uses the sensors in the bumper. The emergency rear braking is part of ParkSense and uses the rear backup camera for cross path detection and emergency stopping. That's why it goes off even if the rear sensors don't show you close to anything.
Yes it's two different systems and I have both.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yes it's two different systems and I have both.
And to be clear, had you pulled up to the pile of leaves like your were parking, the front sensors would kick in and start beeping. But at that point, you could drive through them under 7 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread