5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i need to replace upper control arms when adding a leveling strut?

Rebel409

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 rebel and I want to add leveling struts to the front. Do I need to replace the upper control arms as well?

If so, is there a go-to option when leveling 2019 rebel?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have two options: 1) replace the upper control arm with a longer arm, 2) get cambered alignment bolts for the lower control arms.

I tried my hardest to get stock length upper control arms to work, and the two issues I encountered were at full droop the arm contacts the spring and I ran out of adjustment to set camber.

Personally, I’d go the control arm route over ez-camber bolts, and everything I mention here applies to your Rebel.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have two options: 1) replace the upper control arm with a longer arm, 2) get cambered alignment bolts for the lower control arms.

I tried my hardest to get stock length upper control arms to work, and the two issues I encountered were at full droop the arm contacts the spring and I ran out of adjustment to set camber.

Personally, I’d go the control arm route over ez-camber bolts, and everything I mention here applies to your Rebel.
Do rebels have the extra 1 inch of lift from the factory?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the have the extra one inch. Rebels were the original truck with the orp. You do not need uca's if you can get a good alignment which you should be able to do. The problem is that if you can't you have to tear it all apart again. It may also limit your travel and that could be a problem when offroading.. Big decisions.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes the have the extra one inch. Rebels were the original truck with the orp. You do not need uca's if you can get a good alignment which you should be able to do. The problem is that if you can't you have to tear it all apart again. It may also limit your travel and that could be a problem when offroading.. Big decisions.
Gotcha. I would say go for the UCAs if it has ORP, which it does. Otherwise a non ORP would be ok if you’re not off roading. Which is pretty much my truck, except I have top hat spacers instead of leveling struts.

Rebel409

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I think I'll give it a go without the new UCA's. I will likely move up to a full lift kit anyways (eventually), so I guess I'll get new ones in the end.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put 2" spacers on my truck until the shocks wear out and I go with full coilovers. Ran the stock UCA's for a bit until one of the ball joint boots tore. I know people bad talk RC products, but I got their UCA's for lifted trucks, and they are pretty solid. Installed by myself in less than 2 hours and that was with 45 minutes of getting tools out and putting them away. No slamming metal noise anymore going over bumps.

Gripshun

Reaction score
On an instance like my truck.... stock rebel with air suspension, would it be bad to try to level it using air suspension adjustable links to "trick" the system into leveling by either bringing the rear down or the front up less than 2"? should i just spring for the UCA kit?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you dont have ORP you can do a 2 inch level without replacing UCA's no problem, unless you're hard core off roading.

Rebels will probably need UCA since it has ORP.

Chasebar

Reaction score
Hi fellas, new member here and first post. Got a question, I recently installed a 2 inch level. My truck isnt the ORP. Wanting to keep as much OEM parts as possible. Wondering if the Mopar ORP upper control arms would work ok for the 2 inch level? Sorry in advance if this has been covered.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi fellas, new member here and first post. Got a question, I recently installed a 2 inch level. My truck isnt the ORP. Wanting to keep as much OEM parts as possible. Wondering if the Mopar ORP upper control arms would work ok for the 2 inch level? Sorry in advance if this has been covered.
You're good to go as long as you can maintain a decent alignment. If you are pushing the suspension stroke you could tear up your CV joints. But if you're not then you will be fine.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A better option for everyone is using the Mopar lift kit upper control arms.

Users who are viewing this thread