5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i need to replace upper control arms when adding a leveling strut?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On an instance like my truck.... stock rebel with air suspension, would it be bad to try to level it using air suspension adjustable links to "trick" the system into leveling by either bringing the rear down or the front up less than 2"? should i just spring for the UCA kit?
I do not have a rebel but my limited ORP took the links just fine. I got revel links which lifted the front 2-3 inches and rear .5 to 1inch

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Upper control arms should be changed to accommodate the extra length of the lift at full extension. That's when the upper ball joint can bind and snap off or pop out

Bigbadgen

Reaction score
If you dont have ORP you can do a 2 inch level without replacing UCA's no problem, unless you're hard core off roading.

Rebels will probably need UCA since it has ORP.
This is false as I just had my factory uca on passenger side fail. 23k miles on truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is false as I just had my factory uca on passenger side fail. 23k miles on truck.
Hard to say. I know tons of people that do it this way with no issues. Yours may have just failed. That does happen

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have a rebel and use spacers, UCAs are a must since it’s essentially an ORP truck

Bigbadgen

Reaction score
Hard to say. I know tons of people that do it this way with no issues. Yours may have just failed. That does happen
I think they may have messed one up when installing my level. If I’m going to just replace 1 I’ll upgrade to to arms. Sucks I have to wait for them to come in. Luckily my wife works from home so I just use her car.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think they may have messed one up when installing my level. If I’m going to just replace 1 I’ll upgrade to to arms. Sucks I have to wait for them to come in. Luckily my wife works from home so I just use her car.
Good call. Might as well get the UCAs for the level. I check my UCA ball joints every oil change and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread