5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fram ultra and Mobil 1 extended are usually the top rated filters. But they all do the job, some are better construction then others. Royal Purple filter made by champ labs generally rank high but spendy. 10-48 is the filter from royal purple. I think champ makes K&N too and those are also rated highly.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of why I am going to let the dealer do the oil changes for under $40. They are walking distance from work, so it’s not bad to drop off and pick up and have the. Job done.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Anyone a fan of WIX? I've been running them with Mobil 1 oil in my vehicles for the past several years, and they seem to be good for the money.

EK2Bird

Reaction score
Anyone a fan of WIX? I've been running them with Mobil 1 oil in my vehicles for the past several years, and they seem to be good for the money.

I run WIX filters on all my Mopar vehicles. From old muscle cars to new Challenger/Charger. Never had an issue

hotsht333

Reaction score
Only oil filter I've ever had a problem with was Wix, couldn't get it to seal ,took it back exchanged it for another wix didn't have a problem.

RAMBS

Reaction score
Haven't got under mine yet. Is it still a pain to get to the filter? I know the 17 4WD was. It made me miss my 2010 2WD.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
We've used Wix on everything from our lawnmowers to boats to all 6 of our FCA vehicles (mopar family) never once a problem. We use full synthetic oil and 90% of the time its mobil 1. You gotta remember these things only stay on a vehicle for about 6 months, I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

John813

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience in doing maintenance work themselves and then having the dealer service something under warranty? Any tips to offer up? Guessing just to keep a record of the receipts and have that available should there be any issues with DIY maintenance?

FWIW, my fathers 392 rockers went bad at 72k miles. Had the 100k warranty from factory(2015 model) and there was no questions asked about oil used/oil changes. Simple, "it's covered and you'll get it back in a few days" and that was that.

Always done his own maintenance from day 1.

Of course different dealerships may have more strict managers/advisers.

I take pictures/receipts of oil changes/oil purchases as a jic.

Michael_D

Reaction score
Another tip is to just initially loosen the filter off so you can spin it by hand and then place a ziplock bag over it and remove. The ziplock bag will catch all the oil that leaks out so it doesn't spill all over the steering rack.

I just changed the oil in my 2019 yesterday. I'm a GM guy who bought a Ram..... I spent some time swearing at the idiot engineer who decided to put the filter where it is. What a friggin mess...... Your plastic bag trick sounds like a good one to try. Simple, cheap, and most likely effective.

I'm still cursing the engineer out though. What a dumbass.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I just changed the oil in my 2019 yesterday. I'm a GM guy who bought a Ram..... I spent some time swearing at the idiot engineer who decided to put the filter where it is. What a friggin mess...... Your plastic bag trick sounds like a good one to try. Simple, cheap, and most likely effective.

I'm still cursing the engineer out though. What a dumbass.

Getting ready to have the same swearing session.

I saw where Subaru put theirs on recent vehicles. My hat's off to those engineers. You could change it wearing a tuxedo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 10.49.24.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 10.49.24.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 188

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of why I am going to let the dealer do the oil changes for under $40. They are walking distance from work, so it’s not bad to drop off and pick up and have the. Job done.

I let the STEALERSHIP do my oil changes in the beginning, especially so there are no reasons to deny warranty coverage while it lasts.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your plastic bag trick sounds like a good one to try. Simple, cheap, and most likely effective.
Be sure to use a gallon-size bag...the LAST thing you want is to overfill the plastic bag with hot oil and have the whole thing slip off at once. I've come close!

UKBrad

Reaction score
What mileage did you guys do your first change? I’ve heard 500mi / 1000mi - 5000mi. I was thinking of changing at 1,000 using Pennzoil / Fram Combo then switch over to Mobil1 or Royal purple at 3,000-5,000.

Edit: just found the other oil thread. Seems to be all over the place as it’s a personal preference.

Bdog

Reaction score
I just changed my oil. I used Mobil 1 and a Royal purple filter. The change was not difficult but it is messy. I own a lift and change enough oil on things that I go through 1-1.5 55 gallon drums of oil a year. This truck has one of the worst designed oil filter and drain plug locations I have seen. When you pull the drain plug the hot stream of oil hits the sway bar and goes everywhere. The filter is located up high above the power steering components in a tight spot. As you loosen it the oil spills everywhere. Yeah maybe some plastic bags might help but why make it such a pita in the first place? I change oil in countless other vehicles where it is a piece of cake to do so without a mess.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I did my first oil change today @ 1,240 miles on the 6 month old truck (it was sitting 5 month at the dealer lot). I used Penzzoil Ultra platinum and Fram XG. I do have 4x4. What a nightmare!!! Some smart mechanic at the factory torqued oil filter. It took me 3 hours and 2 trips to the Autozone store to get it out. Ultimately, old throttle body rubber gasket that I saved from my BMW saved my day. I Fit the gasket over filter, got adjustable oil filter ranch in there, and only then I was able to creaat enough friction to loose it. Now next oil change should be quick with a hand tight filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread