5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just changed my oil yesterday, at ~3200 miles in from new. Agree with everyone who says it's a PITA--oil spews over the sway bar, oil filter in a tight location that spills everywhere!

I ended up replacing the drain plug w/ a Fumoto oil drain valve. It should help make it easier to drain the oil, but the filter is in a terrible spot...

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most likely because of the proximity of the sway bar to the oil drain plug, and how the sway bar moves when going over bumps and such.
I put the F106SX on mine and there are no clearance issues.

Steve
Ditto. And I feel like these part numbers were all shared earlier in this thread...

geotex1

Reaction score
I like it, but can't believe Amazon does not carry one. Or anywhere else...

Well, Amazon isn't the end all, be all... You can buy them online. Just search for something like "aviation oil filter drain tool." When I was young, Napa sold them in store. Still find them in plenty of boat shops too as they were intended to reduce the risk of fire from spillage in sensitive applications.

I'll just be punching mine next change and letting it drain with a homemade funnel to the catch pan. Problem solved with speed!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have the patience for rebates this is a great deal for synthetic motor oil. $10 off a 5qt jug brings it down to about $13. Hard to beat. Buy at a participating location, and submit a picture of the receipt. Pretty easy to do.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prom...=L2RpeS9TcHJpbmdNSVIxOS9zdG9yZWxvY2F0b3IuY2Zt

I did this too and am a big fan of Pennzoil Platinum oils. My rebate came in about 2 weeks so very fast for a rebate! I am placing another rebate using my Mom's address this time so I can stock up on several 5qt jugs for all 4 of my cars :)

Users who are viewing this thread