5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling Active Noise Cancellation

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here’s one for $10

What does it mean “for trucks without a factory amplifier?” Does the standard 6 speaker system not have an amplifier? I thought they all did

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What does it mean “for trucks without a factory amplifier?” Does the standard 6 speaker system not have an amplifier? I thought they all did

No standard six speaker setups do not have amplifiers, only the Alpine and Harmon Kardon. The standard setup is all in the head unit. So the only thing that silver box does under your driver’s seat is active noise cancellation, nothing else.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No standard six speaker setups do not have amplifiers, only the Alpine and Harmon Kardon. The standard setup is all in the head unit. So the only thing that silver box does under your driver’s seat is active noise cancellation, nothing else.
Cool thank you, so I guess that anc bypass from crutch field is the one I need!

D_Chiz

Reaction score
how bad is the interior sound quality with the ANC off? Im looking at an aftermarket stereo and no solution to having both.. Would be nice to have an option for On with no stereo and Off when stereo is playing... Best of both worlds.

dmayo32

Reaction score
I modified the Crutchfield purchased ANC bypass cable in order to install a compact 4 channel amplifier under the driver's seat. Power and speaker connections are all conveniently right under the seat. This took care of the unpredictable volume leveling of the low power head unit. Dramatic improvement in sound quality. Easy installation.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I modified the Crutchfield purchased ANC bypass cable in order to install a compact 4 channel amplifier under the driver's seat. Power and speaker connections are all conveniently right under the seat. This took care of the unpredictable volume leveling of the low power head unit. Dramatic improvement in sound quality. Easy installation.
Which amp did you use?

dmayo32

Reaction score
Which amp did you use?

This is a Class D amp so it's efficient and has good power for its small size. Does well with the stock speakers. Although I've replaced the dash speakers with 3.5 inch Kickers with a 8khz crossover (capacitor.) Without the cap there's way too much upper midrange that can't be tamed with head unit tone controls. The stock dash speakers just don't produce much in the high-frequency range since they're just a standard single cone speaker.

Last edited:

gilla81

Reaction score
I'm mainly having sound quality issues. It seems to get better and worse depending on how fast I'm going. I figured the ANC system is the cause.
If it's the sound adjusting based on your speed, then that is something in your audio settings. I forget what it's called, but it will basically increase the volume at higher speeds to compensate for road noise, etc... and lower it at slower speeds.

JP305R

Reaction score
2020 RAM 1500 Quad cab basic stereo BIG HORN ANC is not under the driver seat I was told it’s under steering wheel but can’t find it can someone help? thanks in advance.

Scram1500

Reaction score
2020 RAM 1500 Quad cab basic stereo BIG HORN ANC is not under the driver seat I was told it’s under steering wheel but can’t find it can someone help? thanks in advance.
Is your truck a Hemi?

Scram1500

Reaction score
No V6 daily commuter 😁
You do not have ANC, it's only for the V8. The noise cancellation is for controlling the drone from the Hemi's exhaust when it enters 4 cylinder mode

JP305R

Reaction score
You do not have ANC, it's only for the V8. The noise cancellation is for controlling the drone from the Hemi's exhaust when it enters 4 cylinder mode
You sure? I still got the 4 little speakers from them on the roof...

Scram1500

Reaction score
Pretty sure, however I have been wrong before lol. Do you have 4 mics in the headliner or 6?

Stan&Donna

Reaction score
Yes de-pin helps a bit. The ANC algorithm is ****ed. It takes the noises it hears, and counter acts so called engine and outside noise with different frequencies! Bad part, this is also our musical system. To which counters acts what we hear to cancel unwanted noises. Sadly, it can gran audio sounds and try to cut them, or attenuate them. This system is nice, but needs its own speakers to actually work. Also, under the hood a vibration unit that works with the anc will give signals to cut out. Disconnecting the mics helps, a ton.. but this will also send information to ANC to cancel sounds.

Anyone have a picture of said unit. Supposed to be behind the battery. Or post a part number please. Removing puns is not hard. Pop up lock. Take a safety pin if you need, and push tab up, while doing, push pun in, and pull to release. Took 4 minutes to complete. Tape up wires
does ANC get rid of road and wind noise

Users who are viewing this thread