5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I made a poll to see what others may think about having the skid plate "Linex'd" a matte black to match the Rebel's matte black grille surround, bumpers, and fender flares or leave the factory silver coloring as is?

I am literally 50/50 on this; I have asked other folks that see the truck in person about the choice but they also can't seem to decide. My biggest argument for not changing out the skid plate as the silver does break up the monotony of grey/black and gives the front end a visual "lift". But mainly, the silver skid plate is almost a trademark look as it makes the truck instantly recognizable as a Rebel whereas making it blend in might make it look more similar to other models?

Decisions, decisions....what say you? :unsure:

Fabtech 3-inch Dirt Logic 2.5 Front Coilover Suspension_Rigid 360 Series LEDs_cw.jpg

Black Skid Plate courtesy of @TruckDriver.png
photoshop courtesy of @TruckDriver

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Great read. I'm headed to Telluride later this month and have been trying to figure out exactly what trails to do. Ophir pass is for sure on the list. The wife wants to go for the photo opportunities and you're post sold her on it!

Excellent choice; the trail is really very doable and you will have no choice but to go slow and easy which provides ample opportunity for photos! However, you have to time your crossing to make sure someone else isn't already starting to cross themselves as there is no room for two full-sized vehicles to pass around each other once out on the main ledge. Luckily, you can see all the way across the face so you'll spot any waiting or oncoming vehicles. I would also avoid it if the weather looks like it will dump any heavy rainfall as the rocks are loose and slippery (I would also worry about rock fall when the side slope gets saturated). I suggest going on a weekday if you can as there will be a lot less traffic (usually heavy with ATVs and Jeeps on the weekends).

Have a safe and fun trip and post up!

Edit: spelling correction

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
I think I like the OEM plate. The nostril grill with the skidplate yells "Rebel".

Desert Dawg

Reaction score

Skater

Reaction score
I vote with DeDax and orange01z28 ... you know it is a Rebel when you look at the OEM skidplate.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So Jealous. Looks like an amazing weekend with the wife. 3-4 hours for me gets me Philadelphia or New York, concrete jungles, lol. I need to move. Looks like the new Fabtech set up was worth the wait. Curious on your feedback on the Geolanders? You had a nice mix of trails and highway it seems.
3 to 4 hours to New York or Philly? You should be close to this.

Bald Eagle State Forest, Rothrock, Pine Creek Gorge...includes the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, Allegheny National Forest.

Really love the build and the trips @Desert Dawg
Thanks for taking us along.

I always get a kick out of when I say I am from the Northeast and people always say, must suck living in the city...my whole township has less people in it than most people's town.

I love being outdoors, especially in a RAM truck.

We don't have the elevation the West does...but we sure do have some Vistas. 20200621_145204_HDR.jpg 20200621_115603_HDR.jpg
Edit: @DeDax I see you were part of this conversation.

I can not wait to travel West, but I love Pennsylvania

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
Yes Pennsylvania surely does have some great views. I grew up outside of Pittsburgh and now live in Southern Delaware. I travel for work up in the Pocono region regularly and always find a way to make time to explore. There is surely some beauty to behold. But out west is a whole different game. The views, the trails, the off road/overland influence is much more accessible, if that makes sense. :)

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Thanks, Maybe we could organize something. Have a safe journey my friend.

I also have a friend who also just purchased his Rebel and talking about maybe doing a desert run. Would be great to do....will look to see if we can get a few rigs out for a day trip before the summer is out!

Last edited:

orange01z28

Reaction score
I also have a friend who also just purchased his Rebel and talking about maybe doing a desert run. Would be great to do....will look to see if can a few rigs out for a day trip before the summer is out!
Keep me in the loop, I'll drive out from AZ for this

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Keep me in the loop, I'll drive out from AZ for this

This is getting serious...if you come from AZ and @Skater comes in from TX and @Rico joins us from here along with a couple of other local guys I know, we'll have a little caravan so need to figure out a good trail that will make it worth everyone's effort! The Rio Puerco is a nice little day trip for local wheeling but I don't think it's worth the long drives. I need to think about something around Silver City (southeastern NM) where we can wheel in the Gila Mountains and/or desert? If so, we can plan a two-day trip over a weekend where we can do one longer day trip and come back to town by early evening and head out along a different shorter trail the second day or folks can take off to get back home. If so, want to make sure the trail is just rough enough to be fun but not too technical that it will beat up everyone's rigs. But the real challenge will be logistics to see when folks are actually able to do something given everyone's family, work, and COVID-19 restrictions. But what a trip if we can pull it off!

I get excited about doing this so some teaser shots with a couple of my other rigs (excuse the other makes but all in fun):

DSC_0089_zpsb6263b0e.jpg

WolfCreek141_zpsb428eecf.jpg

Dune Run_Thanksgiving 2016.jpg

Rio Puerco_Christmas 2017 (12).jpg

The Box_1.jpg

Ouray_0014 2_zpsr7cqgodb.jpg

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome weekend get together. The other builds look great as well. How did you like the Titan?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome weekend get together. The other builds look great as well. How did you like the Titan?

Thanks!

The Titan was a 2018 PRO 4X edition which is the upgraded off-road version (similar to the Tundra TRD PRO) with Bilstein front coil-overs and Bilstein remote reservoirs on the rear. Even so, I wanted a tad more lift for bigger tires and more articulation so I replaced the factory Bilstein system with an Icon Stage 1 system with Icon UCAs. As such, the Titan did great although not built as much as my Tundra with the King/Total Chaos setup or current Ram with the Fabtech/Dirt Logic setup. The Titan was actually very comfortable with a great ride and plenty of power. Also had slightly better front seats and the Rockford Fosgate stereo was really good. I bought the Titan as my company truck since I was able to get tremendous fleet pricing (I purchased other Titans for my company at the same time) that neither Ford, Toyota, GMC, or Ram could match. However, to be honest, I was not a huge fan of the exterior styling (very Fordish) although the interior was nice (but still strong styling elements taken from both Ford and Ram). With the two-tone, slight lift, tires, and other mods, it was more to my liking but still lacked some other features I wanted so was a good excuse to get the Ram when the time was right. But overall, a really decent truck.

Ouray_0014 3.jpg edit: grammatical errors

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score
I am in for Silver City. I have never been to the Gila dwellings up there and would love to make that part of the trip if possible. I just need to get my Ram here and get it modded up first? It is supposed to ship this week from SHAP. I will let you know as soon as it gets here and I am ready to go.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a poll to see what others may think about having the skid plate "Linex'd" a matte black to match the Rebel's matte black grille surround, bumpers, and fender flares or leave the factory silver coloring as is?
Decisions, decisions....what say you? :unsure:

Really appreciate all your shared insight and experience - I'm living vicariously through your adventures but hope to do something like these trails!

on a note of your skidplate, it got me thinking the same with my Rebel - so here's a quick photochop to mull over the idea

1594158023176.png

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Hey there!

I wanted to ask if those black rhinos are the 18"? I called black rhino and they said they only recommend 20" for the rebel because of potential rubbing with the brakes

Thanks!

Yes, mine are 18x8.5s; the issue is "potential" for rubbing between the balancing weights and the brake calipers. On mine, it was close but I got no rubbing at all. However, @Helmetface did have rubbing with the tack-on weights rubbing the calipers and had to replace them with the hammer-on weights along with some grinding of the calipers. I think the difference is that there are always minor variations within the acceptable production line tolerances and mine happened to have just enough. That is why Black Rhino only show 20-inch wheel sizes for the +2019 Rams in order to make sure there are no fitment issues.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Really appreciate all your shared insight and experience - I'm living vicariously through your adventures but hope to do something like these trails!

on a note of your skidplate, it got me thinking the same with my Rebel - so here's a quick photochop to mull over the idea

View attachment 61181

@TruckDriver; thanks for the photoshop...that does look amazing and I think I am really liking that! Curiously, the poll is still dead even so I am going to just have to make up my mind and go for...or not!

Users who are viewing this thread