5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
My original plan was to go to Yankee Boy Basin which is an alpine basin behind Imogene Pass at the foot of Mount Sneffels as that is my usual go to place when wheeling out of Ouray, CO. But as with all best laid out plans, things change and we found ourselves going to Telluride, CO instead. The weather was actually pretty good with summer showers here and there, but everything was still sort of hazy due to recent nearby forest fires. Combined with the overcast skies that rolled in and out, it was really hard to get clear photos on the fly so apologize if I under exposed or over exposed some of the shots.

Telluride CO_June 2020_ 1a (2).jpg

Telluride CO_June 2020_ 1_zpsxq1pd2br.jpg

Telluride CO_June 2020_ 2_zpsgvtwpkr5.jpg

Telluride CO_June 2020_ 3_zps8nxdxjix.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Ophir Pass, Colorado

Since we were in Telluride, I decided to take the scenic route back to Ouray by going over Ophir Pass that summits at 11,789 ft. I have done the pass before and it is not that difficult although it can get pretty snowed in and slippery but you do need some clearance and four wheel drive. The last time I did this pass, a family thought they could make it across the loose shale and small boulder trail in their all-wheel drive SUV and got stuck about a 1/3rd of the way up so my brother and I had to turn their SUV around in order to get it back down the trail...not a fun thing to do but everyone got home safe. This time, no such drama although my wife didn't appreciate sitting on the outboard side looking straight down while the loose granite rocks crackled under the weight of the truck...lol.

Beginning of the run:

Telluride to Silverton_Ophir Pass_Jine 2020_3_zpseuyi5l7v.jpg

Telluride to Silverton_Ophir Pass_Jine 2020_4_cw.jpg

Telluride to Silverton_Ophir Pass_Jine 2020_12_cw.jpg
Edit: Description

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
So Jealous. Looks like an amazing weekend with the wife. 3-4 hours for me gets me Philadelphia or New York, concrete jungles, lol. I need to move. Looks like the new Fabtech set up was worth the wait. Curious on your feedback on the Geolanders? You had a nice mix of trails and highway it seems.

neelddo

Reaction score

Still trying to make a decision; Linex the skidplate to match the matte black trim or leave the silver as is? I seem to be 50/50 about it.
Linex the skid plate! Im curious of your feedback on the fabtech off road ride quality. I had a 4th gen on kings from Carli suspension and im skeptical of doing anything on my 5th gen besides king because I was so satisfied with the on and off road quality. I do like the 3" vs 2.5" lift though! I know you stated you ran kings on previous builds. Whats you opinion on fabtech vs king? I think the shock tuning is everything with these after market shocks, and Carli Suspension nailed the 4th gen set up. Im tossing up between Thuren Kings/UCA/progessive rear coils (Icon) or the 3" fab tech.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So Jealous. Looks like an amazing weekend with the wife. 3-4 hours for me gets me Philadelphia or New York, concrete jungles, lol. I need to move. Looks like the new Fabtech set up was worth the wait. Curious on your feedback on the Geolanders? You had a nice mix of trails and highway it seems.

Southern CO is a great place to go (Jeep country for sure) and you definitely get different kind of vistas and wheeling experiences from places like Moab, etc. But it is one of the benefits of living in northern NM as the deserts and high mountains are all close by and definitely spoiled by the selections we have out west. But as much fun as the desert runs are, I prefer the mountain trails.

I am putting together a post on the review of both the Ram itself along with my selected mods; should have up soon!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Linex the skid plate! Im curious of your feedback on the fabtech off road ride quality. I had a 4th gen on kings from Carli suspension and im skeptical of doing anything on my 5th gen besides king because I was so satisfied with the on and off road quality. I do like the 3" vs 2.5" lift though! I know you stated you ran kings on previous builds. Whats you opinion on fabtech vs king? I think the shock tuning is everything with these after market shocks, and Carli Suspension nailed the 4th gen set up. Im tossing up between Thuren Kings/UCA/progessive rear coils (Icon) or the 3" fab tech.

Yeah, I should have my review posted soon. Overall, I was thrilled with the Dirt Logic setup but will have to qualify why.

I am actually starting to think that I might leave the factory color on the skid plate now as it makes the truck instantly recognizable as a Rebel whereas I think the Linex'd skid plates kind of blend in and make the truck less distinguishable from a Sport. But I haven't decided either way for sure yet.

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Awesome Thread Desert Dawg, I am from Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks Rico! That is awesome you're in Rio Rancho...I grew up there and now live in the North Valley. Maybe we can organize a Rio Puerco run sometime! :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Review of the Ram Rebel performance during the road trip and off-road excursion over Ophir Pass.

As mentioned previously, I took the Rebel on a small ~700 mile road trip from my home in north Albuquerque, NM to Ouray, CO which also included an ~80 mile side excursion trip to Telluride, CO and looping back to Ouray over Ophir Pass.

Trip Details:

It is only a 3 hour drive from my front door to Durango, CO which is the entry point into the San Juan Mountain Range and better known as the "Little Switzerland of America". But going from Durango to Ouray is at least a couple more hours of driving due to the slow, twisting, and at times even scary (but extremely scenic) mountainous route but worth every mile and minute!

Starting Elevation (Albuquerque, NM) @ 5100 ft. above sea level

Destination Elevation (Ouray, CO) @ 7760 ft.

Intermediary Destinations;

(Durango, CO) @ 6512 ft.

(Silverton, CO) @ 9320 ft.

(Telluride, CO) @ 8750 ft.

Highest Traversed Elevation (Ophir Pass) @ 11,789 ft.

Season and Weather; typical early summer weather in northern NM and southern CO with temperatures ranging in the low 90s in NM to mid-60s and 70s in southern CO mountain valleys with scattering of light showers. Skies hazy due to recent forest fires in southern CO combined with overcast days.

Screenshot 3_zpsmzvnjrnt.png
Photo courtesy of Google

Overview:

In order to give a review on the Ram Rebel’s performance, I will attempt to give my impressions on the Ram Rebel’s factory performance and my build modifications’ performance individually.

On-Road Performance

Ram Rebel:

Comfort – very comfortable ride overall with great support from the seats (never tiring). Very quiet inside with the Harman-Kardon providing great sound quality with the Sirius radio. The climate controls and other systems worked perfectly. Wife was very comfortable in the passenger’s heated/cooled seats and had plenty of storage for our luggage, camera gear, and my usual assortment of recovery and emergency gear in rear seat.

On-Road Performance – no issues at all as the Ram had plenty of passing power even when going up steep mountain grades at altitude. The transmission was always in the right gear and never seemed to spend much time hunting. My only real complaint is that manually changing gears (i.e., holding a gear during downgrades) is not really easy or fun with the placement of the manual shift buttons on the steering wheel (especially if the wheel is turned) as with my Tundra and Ford center console shifters with manual gates. Other than that, the Ram was a pleasure to drive.

Gas Mileage – averaged 14.5 mpg going 75-85 mph during the mostly uphill highway ride during the beginning of the trip, 7-8 mpg during the off-road excursion at exceptionally high altitude in 4-high or 4-low, 9-10 mpg on twisty paved road mountain switchbacks, and averaging 15.5 mpg going 75-85 mph on mostly downhill highway ride during the return trip. Overall averaged trip mileage @ 14.4 mpg. Compared to my built 2015 Tundra which usually averaged ~12 mpg on same exact trip (including some off-roading), this was a nice improvement along with the extra benefit that the Ram was more comfortable than the Tundra over longer distances.

Build Modifications - okay, here is the thing that folks really want to know when you lift your vehicle:

Comfort – amazing, per above. The Fabtech 3-inch Dirt Logic suspension provided an extremely comfortable and stable ride. I don’t think the ride quality was quite as smooth as the Falcon suspension I had on previously (especially over smaller road imperfections) but it was pretty darn close. The Dirt Logic shocks are a tad stiffer as expected given the larger coil-over spring rates and shocks but the system just soaked up dips and rises perfectly. The really amazing impression though were the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 tires; these very aggressive looking off-road tires rode smooth as butter at high speeds and never wandered! They were exceptionally quiet at speed given the much larger size and tread design. While there is some increased road noise, they were not intrusive at all. Amazing! I also feel that the extra weight of the topper over the rear axle also helped smooth out the ride and added to the overall driving impressions (below).

On-Road Performance – Turn-in feel always felt great although just a tad slower than the factory setup (due to the tires’ extra mass and width providing more road contact patch) but higher speed turns always felt secure with minimal body lean (hardly noticeable since I also increased the track width with the new wheels and tires). The Dirt Logic valve tuning was excellent for on-road performance and comfort as stated above. The Yokohama Geolanders provided excellent on-road grip in both dry and wet (during mountain showers) conditions. The tire temperatures never increased passed their normal settings even after long high speed sections. The Fabtech Dirt Logic setup reminds me very much of the King OEM Performance Series Suspension I ran on my Tundra which is a very good thing!

Gas Mileage – see above. I was very happy considering the extra weight of the aftermarket wheels and much larger tires, bed topper, all the gear we stuffed into the truck, and the fact that I totally changed the vehicle’s aerodynamic profile by lifting the vehicle (although not by a huge amount compared to other lift options). Also, my highway mileage was taken at speeds ranging from 75-85 mph (maybe slightly higher at times but will deny that in Court) so I am pretty confident I would have netted much better results on flatter, slightly slower highway drives despite my build modifications.

Off-Road Performance

I need to qualify this particular off-road excursion. Ophir Pass is nestled in the San Juan mountains with a summit at 11,789 ft. The trail is rated as a “moderately difficult” trail and that is mostly limited to the ledge carved out of the steep side slope that originally served as a toll road between Silverton and Telluride during late 1800s. But it can be quite nerve-wracking as the side slope and trail is comprised of very loose, fragmented rock that slides easily and can be quite slippery especially when wet. For an off-road excursion though, it is not very technical and there are no big boulders to worry about other than some rock fall from above. The biggest boulder I encountered was maybe 2 ft. in diameter but there was no rock crawling to the degree you may find on other trails in the area. But the trail is just rough enough to be fun and you can find side trails that are bit more challenging although I purposely avoided anything too strenuous due to the fact that this was my wife’s first experience on a side slope like this and her toes were curled during the entire crossing…lol. But I did find a couple of small rock hills that require some low-range wheeling so had a little fun testing out the suspension.

Ophir Pass_zpsuedzhzam.png
Photo courtesy of Google

Ram Rebel:

Overall, the Rebel did just fine with plenty of low end grunt to muscle over the rocks and out of the ruts on the side trails. Wet wheeling was limited to very small stream runoff so no real issue there. However, this truck does make a lot of noise when under stress. There is some rattling underneath that I need to have checked out but the more disturbing sounds come from the engine fans and hill descent control system. I never had an off-road biased vehicle make so much noise before so this was disconcerting at first although I finally got used to it. But the wife was comfortable and felt secure inside the Ram (especially once we left the ledge sections).

Build Modifications:

In short, the Fabtech setup did just fine too providing plenty of clearance and wheel articulation to tackle the ruts and larger rocks on some of the side trails with no detectable complaints from the heavy duty UCA/ball joints or Dirt Logic shocks. Slow speed crawling seemed pretty smooth. While going faster on dirt roads, the system was notably stiffer over washboards but always controlled even without airing down the tires (so my initial impression is that the Dirt Logic shock valving is probably linear). The Yokohama Geolanders provided plenty of confidence too as they just crushed (literally) the rock sections and provided excellent grip going uphill over the loose rock. I did not find any chunking of the tire tread afterwards given the amount of hard, rough cut rock we wheeled over. Overall, I am pretty happy with the Fabtech Dirt Logic system and Yokohama tire combo as it made the truck ride comfortably over the rough stuff while giving me the performance I expected for moderate wheeling. I am anxious to try it out on some higher speed desert/dune runs as that will allow me to make a more accurate comparison against my other builds with King, Icon, Fox setups.

Telluride to Silverton_Ophir Pass_Jine 2020_17_zpsk1rfozbv.jpg Edits: photo add and spelling corrections

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score
Thanks Rico! That is awesome you're in Rio Rancho...I grew up there and now live in the North Valley. Maybe we can organize a Rio Puerco run sometime! :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
Give me a few months to get my Ram from SHAP and in shape, and I may join you two. I'm only 250 miles south on I-25 from you folks.

Great pics Desert Dawg! Looks like a whole lot of fun.

BeemerG

Reaction score
This is great thread I am glad I found it. I did Ophir Pass last year on motorcycle, I still have nightmares. I was so scared of dropping my bike. Needless to say I only stop to catch my breath, never dismounted my motorcycle and didn't even take photo. I am going back next year if all goes well with my truck, this time I will have pictures to prove it. Did had great time on Pikes Peak

Attachments

• IMG_6939.JPG
    IMG_6939.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 140

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Give me a few months to get my Ram from SHAP and in shape, and I may join you two. I'm only 250 miles south on I-25 from you folks.

Great pics Desert Dawg! Looks like a whole lot of fun.

Wouldn't that be awesome if we ever figure out a group off-road excursion of Rams! Also, plenty of desert trails down in El Paso and Las Cruces that I haven't tried out yet too!

Thanks for reading the build thread and the compliment!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
This is great thread I am glad I found it. I did Ophir Pass last year on motorcycle, I still have nightmares. I was so scared of dropping my bike. Needless to say I only stop to catch my breath, never dismounted my motorcycle and didn't even take photo. I am going back next year if all goes well with my truck, this time I will have pictures to prove it. Did had great time on Pikes Peak

Hi BeemerG; thanks! Funny you mentioned taking your motorcycle down the trail. When I reached the summit, there was this guy sitting on his motorbike at the summit and contemplating his ride down. So he came over to talk to me when I pulled over to take some photos and wanted to ask about the Ram as he really liked the way it was built and was curious how the setup worked. I thought he might be more interested about the trail itself but then he was back on his bike and proceeded down the trail. I think he had done it many times before...lol.

Pikes Peak would be awesome! I have been to Colorado Springs many times and have a friend that lives in Woodland Park but never took the time to wheel in that area. Need to think about a trip there too!

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
Great read. I'm headed to Telluride later this month and have been trying to figure out exactly what trails to do. Ophir pass is for sure on the list. The wife wants to go for the photo opportunities and you're post sold her on it!

Users who are viewing this thread