5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline

I would think a bit higher...around 55%. No one wants an old Tesla when they have tax incentives for brand new models that are comparable in price.
I cant imagine many people buying a used EV, or having batteries changed because of the price.

What's the resale value on a 5 year old EV when you have to dish out 30k for a new battery?
Not sure why everyone thinks you ha e to replace the batteries after x number of years. There are still first edition Chevy Volts running around on factory batteries. And original Tesla Model S as well.

Not sure why everyone thinks you ha e to replace the batteries after x number of years. There are still first edition Chevy Volts running around on factory batteries. And original Tesla Model S as well.
I’m sure there are. Although with diminished range I suppose.

for the average buyer,
1st problem - cost
2nd problem - interest rate
3rd problem - insurance premium
4rd problem - charging infrastructure
5problem - range
6 problem - towing
I agree with all these points, and if you can't haul a big load or pull a trailer why buy a truck...

I agree with all these points, and if you can't haul a big load or pull a trailer why buy a truck...
There are perfectly legitimate use-cases for electric trucks, just not as heavy-duty work trucks or for towing as of today. The tragedy is the wrong-headed Left's demand that everyone switch to EVs immediately. If they had just let the market for EVs develop at a natural pace, not via ill-advised legislation ramming them down our throats, people wouldn't be objecting. The market is correcting itself now from the legislative over-reach - as we all knew it was going to do - because as of today EVs are niche vehicles only, not general-purpose.
The "EV market correction" has put both legislators and CEOs on notice, and things are changing rapidly in automakers' boardrooms across the globe. At the same time, the technology is advancing rapidly, and I'm guessing that in 5-10 years, EVs will legitimately be viable for a larger share of the market than they are today. But likely never will EVs cover 100% of the market, and that'll be OK. Let them do what they're good at, let gas/diesel/propane/hydrogen combustion vehicles do what they're good at. It's not at all an either/or thing, it's an "all of the above" thing. But EVs do in fact excel in certain uses cases, so there is room for them as well.

There are perfectly legitimate use-cases for electric trucks, just not as heavy-duty work trucks or for towing as of today. The tragedy is the wrong-headed Left's demand that everyone switch to EVs immediately. If they had just let the market for EVs develop at a natural pace, not via ill-advised legislation ramming them down our throats, people wouldn't be objecting. The market is correcting itself now from the legislative over-reach - as we all knew it was going to do - because as of today EVs are niche vehicles only, not general-purpose.
The "EV market correction" has put both legislators and CEOs on notice, and things are changing rapidly in automakers' boardrooms across the globe. At the same time, the technology is advancing rapidly, and I'm guessing that in 5-10 years, EVs will legitimately be viable for a larger share of the market than they are today. But likely never will EVs cover 100% of the market, and that'll be OK. Let them do what they're good at, let gas/diesel/propane/hydrogen combustion vehicles do what they're good at. It's not at all an either/or thing, it's an "all of the above" thing. But EVs do in fact excel in certain uses cases, so there is room for them as well.
I mean, they can work as heavy duty work trucks, as long as you aren't trying to use them for long distance towing. A lot of construction companies only work within a limited distance from main office anyways

The tragedy is the wrong-headed Left's demand that everyone switch to EVs immediately. If they had just let the market for EVs develop at a natural pace, not via ill-advised legislation ramming them down our throats, people wouldn't be objecting.

Exactly, let things progress at their own pace... Americans really react to things being forced.

I mean, they can work as heavy duty work trucks, as long as you aren't trying to use them for long distance towing. A lot of construction companies only work within a limited distance from main office anyways
I agree with you. Not sure if it’s been brought up, but temperature really hurts the electric trucks battery. My work has a new Ford Lighting and we joked that it would not make it 2 hours away in the winter time with out stopping for “fuel”. Not really conducive for a typ. Nebraska winter. The grounds guys use it to charge there electric battery’s, I personally look at it and think what a waste.

I agree with you. Not sure if it’s been brought up, but temperature really hurts the electric trucks battery. My work has a new Ford Lighting and we joked that it would not make it 2 hours away in the winter time with out stopping for “fuel”. Not really conducive for a typ. Nebraska winter. The grounds guys use it to charge there electric battery’s, I personally look at it and think what a waste.
When I was working at Kidwell, we rarely traveled that distance for projects. Most were within a 45 minute drive. And 45 minutes wasn't the norm.

So many intelligent comments here. Electric pickups are NOT general purpose replacements for gas/diesel trucks.

That said, I recently had a chance to drive my buddy's new Cybertruck. What a wonderful vehicle! Fast, great handling (due to all wheel steering), smooth, quiet, very comfortable. Excellent integrated tonneau bed cover.

Make no mistake... it is an expensive, specialized vehicle. But if its limitations are OK with you, then it is really a great performing vehicle.

So many intelligent comments here. Electric pickups are NOT general purpose replacements for gas/diesel trucks.

That said, I recently had a chance to drive my buddy's new Cybertruck. What a wonderful vehicle! Fast, great handling (due to all wheel steering), smooth, quiet, very comfortable. Excellent integrated tonneau bed cover.

Make no mistake... it is an expensive, specialized vehicle. But if its limitations are OK with you, then it is really a great performing vehicle.
I will never get past the look of the cyber truck to ever think about owning one. It could be the mor capable vehicle ever built, but the design is just hideous.

I'll just be glad when our tax dollars stop subsidizing the $7500 EV tax credit or charging station infrastructure. Let the market bear the cost.
To be fair, our tax dollars don't fund anything. If it did we wouldn't have a National debt of about $35 trillion.

I firmly believe government and manufacturers are going to backtrack on their EV positions. They are trying to obey a clock that has too many other clocks that have to move in sync, but cannot. In the interim, I feel hybrids with electric motors after the torque converter (trucks) might be a really good solution. EVs just are not there for me, for most if we are looking at believing recent data. This is what gets me about the mandates. Govt is supposed to represent the will of the people. The declining sales and lack of interest of the American public in the current EVs should be evidence of American sentiment and should influence their policy making and governance decisions.

EV trucks have a purpose, but that is not towing a camper for hours at a time. Maybe running a few miles down the road to transport a chair or something that doesn't fit in the back seat.

If the green new deal govt wasn't involved in this, capitalism would have taken care of it, and these companies wouldn't have lost billions in the process.

Let the free market do what it does. Don't try to force every house have an EV in the driveway.

I firmly believe government and manufacturers are going to backtrack on their EV positions. They are trying to obey a clock that has too many other clocks that have to move in sync, but cannot. In the interim, I feel hybrids with electric motors after the torque converter (trucks) might be a really good solution. EVs just are not there for me, for most if we are looking at believing recent data. This is what gets me about the mandates. Govt is supposed to represent the will of the people. The declining sales and lack of interest of the American public in the current EVs should be evidence of American sentiment and should influence their policy making and governance decisions.
The problem with your comment is you’re talking about reasonable people. The state where I currently reside is being run by unreasonable people. They don’t care about the will of the people or even what makes sense. They have an agenda and they feel the need to make sure that agenda comes to fruition.

The voters where I live in the country have a truck in every driveway, majority not for show. They will go for economical transportation, with long ranges, and a good payload. You can get extra gas tanks on a truck. Can you get extra battery packs?

The problem with your comment is you’re talking about reasonable people. The state where I currently reside is being run by unreasonable people. They don’t care about the will of the people or even what makes sense. They have an agenda and they feel the need to make sure that agenda comes to fruition.
Yup. I am kinda new to the forum and didn’t know if I’d get booted for going that direction. 100%. These decisions are politically expedient first, solving problems last, made by idiots who only care is to get elected next term and get their campaigns funded by the beneficiaries of their stupid policies (big battery, steel, Asia, etc). This is not solving problems. I’m a conservative independent but the environment is important to me. Give you an idea, I have a 15Kwh solar array with 20kwh batteries. I have just about a zero electric bill. I had no idea how much damage we do to the environment producing both solar panels and batteries when I designed the system. So I contributed to less electricity production but I also contributed to a lot of damage in the mining and production of the final products of my system. I never would have done it if I knew then what I know now. We are doing more harm than good with the EV initiatives and other green programs too I presume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back