5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline​

How Will This Affect The Upcoming Ram 1500 REV?​

1500REV-2.jpeg

The electric vehicle (EV) revolution has ignited a fierce competition in the pickup truck segment, with automakers vying for consumer attention. However, recent sales trends suggest that the road to widespread adoption of electric pickups may be bumpier than anticipated. Ford, General Motors (GM), Rivian, and even industry-heavyweight Tesla are facing unique challenges in this emerging market. As they grapple with demand fluctuations, Ram may find itself at a crossroads as it prepares to launch the 2025 Ram 1500 REV and REV XR pickups.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, it's not just electric pickups that have a bumpy future. Ford, Honda, and GM all announced rollbacks of EV production. People are waking up to the real problems with switching over to electric before the world is ready for it.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That was such an obvious and expected headline that if it was posted by anyone other than redriderbob, I would have thought someone was trolling.

n8zcc

Reaction score
for the average buyer,
1st problem - cost
2nd problem - interest rate
3rd problem - insurance premium
4rd problem - charging infrastructure
5problem - range
6 problem - towing
One more for the list, the cost of a replacement battery if the battery is still available. This issue of battery replacement makes the used EV nearly worthless after a few years or when the battery can no longer hold a reasonable charge.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about resale value? I haven’t heard anything positive in that department. Once the batteries die, the cost to replace is exorbitant. Might as well buy a new truck but without any trade-in value.
They won't be replacing batteries, the dealership will be replacing individual cells as needed. We have been informed at the dealer level that training classes are coming soon and about $40,000 in tooling will be sent. Can't wait for that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028_075909_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_075909_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 52

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They won't be replacing batteries, the dealership will be replacing individual cells as needed. We have been informed at the dealer level that training classes are coming soon and about $40,000 in tooling will be sent. Can't wait for that.
Will they be paying techs hazard pay for battery repair?
Can't wait to hear of the first dealership that gets burned down because someone inexperienced was trying to attach an new cell to an EV.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will they be paying techs hazard pay for battery repair?
Can't wait to hear of the first dealership that gets burned down because someone inexperienced was trying to attach an new cell to an EV.
I don't see any dealer paying extra. Many dealers charge more for diesel and transmission work, they don't pay the tech any more.

ben b

Reaction score
for the average buyer,
1st problem - cost
2nd problem - interest rate
3rd problem - insurance premium
4rd problem - charging infrastructure
5problem - range
6 problem - towing
You have a good list here. I'd also add charging time (perhaps you included that in Charging Infrastructure).

Actually, unless manufacturers fix the problem of charging time/infrastructure/range on a truck carrying a reasonable load, I never even look at any of the cost/interest rate/insurance/battery life issues. Why bother? If a full size pickup can't be conveniently used on a trip from LA to Seattle, there's no point for me.

I might consider a compact electric truck for around-the-town use. Something the size of a Ford Maverick, which I would use as a sedan with a bed instead of a trunk. If they come out with that at a $30-$35k price, then it would be worth considering. But it isn't a substitute for a full size, fully capable truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Big surprise. People realize that the EV thing is smoke and mirrors, and it’s all about big tech and govt money/regulations. Value, usability, and convenience are pretty much non existent. Maybe the little EV commuter cars can be a benefit in smog infested cities where people don’t drive very far. MAYBE. However, that still has problems like crashing power grids, and lack of resources.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Big surprise. People realize that the EV thing is smoke and mirrors, and it’s all about big tech and govt money/regulations. Value, usability, and convenience are pretty much non existent. Maybe the little EV commuter cars can be a benefit in smog infested cities where people don’t drive very far. MAYBE. However, that still has problems like crashing power grids, and lack of resources.

I don't foresee an EV being my *only* vehicle in the near future, but I figure it's coming in some form. I've laid plans for a 60 Amp circuit to the garage, and by the time someone markets an affordable grocery-getter, I might be ready for it.

Users who are viewing this thread