5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love how that’s dudes first thought is “they should have cameras” instead of holding the criminals accountable. Although I do like his second suggestion of electrifying the thieves unless they have a double secret pass code.

I don’t even recall hoses disappearing at local gas stations.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You say to keep it simple but it's not a simple discussion. Thankfully I don't have to make any kind of choice between the two. And choice is the operative word here in the end. People who want to drive electric cars have that option. People who chose to drive ICE cars should have that choice as well.

Who's to say what the right way is? If you think it's everyone driving EV's you're uninformed. The only thing "clean" about them is after they're sold. And even that depends on where the electricity used to charge them comes from. It takes as much fossil fuels and produces as much CO2 to make an EV as driving a gas powered car for years. The break even point is somewhere around 10-12 years. By then the battery will likely need to be replaced, resetting the clock on that.

Electricity has to be generated. Currently in some parts of the country there isn't enough generation at peak usage times for current demand. Add millions of EV's charging up and no one gets to drive to work. The power grid is strained as it is. To increase that sufficiently would take decades and the cost would be astronomical. I'm not saying it can't be done. But there's no way it can be done in the time frame some current states are saying it needs to happen. To put things back into perspective I don't see gas or diesel engines going anywhere anytime soon.
Cali and the like minded states who are requiring no more ICE sales by 2035 must think they are going to get about triple+ the current electricity generating capability by "wishing for it"... Cause' they sure as hell aren't going to authorize any new nuclear/coal/oil burning or N Gas powerplants.

Tidal/solar/wind/geothermal isn't going to cut it, no matter how much they hope. Now imagine this across the country? So deluded...
Not to mention the environmental cost of mining, transporting and manufacturing all the ev battery components. Guess that just "magically" is not polluting either.

A portion of an article states: (begin copied portion)

Environmental impacts of lithium mining and batteries

After production, electric vehicles have far lower carbon emissions than gas-powered vehicles. However, the process to mine, refine and assemble EVs, particularly their batteries, is environmentally damaging. According to a report by MIT’s Climate Lab, one ton of mined lithium emits nearly 15 tons of CO2. According to the same report, burning the fossil fuels required to manufacture lithium or EV batteries contributes to high levels of CO2 emissions.

Another recent article, dated April 26, 2024, (Is Lithium Mining Bad For The Environment? Stats And Facts) reported that "...the brining process, used to extract lithium hidden in saltwater, uses hundreds of millions of gallons of fresh water per year. Over-pumping groundwater can not only decrease source levels, but also damage surrounding aquifers and can cause fissures in the ground."
(End of copied portion)

Aren't the environmentalists all upset over the lack of fresh water as it is? Now add in freshwater usage for producing lithium at rates far exceeding the current levels... Hmmm.

I'm not a luddite, I had a Prius for 6 years, however environmentally responsible ev battery production is something most ev shills seem to not want to discuss.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cali and the like minded states who are requiring no more ICE sales by 2035 must think they are going to get about triple+ the current electricity generating capability by "wishing for it"... Cause' they sure as hell aren't going to authorize any new nuclear/coal/oil burning or N Gas powerplants.

Tidal/solar/wind/geothermal isn't going to cut it, no matter how much they hope. Now imagine this across the country? So deluded...
Not to mention the environmental cost of mining, transporting and manufacturing all the ev battery components. Guess that just "magically" is not polluting either.

A portion of an article states: (begin copied portion)

Environmental impacts of lithium mining and batteries

After production, electric vehicles have far lower carbon emissions than gas-powered vehicles. However, the process to mine, refine and assemble EVs, particularly their batteries, is environmentally damaging. According to a report by MIT’s Climate Lab, one ton of mined lithium emits nearly 15 tons of CO2. According to the same report, burning the fossil fuels required to manufacture lithium or EV batteries contributes to high levels of CO2 emissions.

Another recent article, dated April 26, 2024, (Is Lithium Mining Bad For The Environment? Stats And Facts) reported that "...the brining process, used to extract lithium hidden in saltwater, uses hundreds of millions of gallons of fresh water per year. Over-pumping groundwater can not only decrease source levels, but also damage surrounding aquifers and can cause fissures in the ground."
(End of copied portion)

Aren't the environmentalists all upset over the lack of fresh water as it is? Now add in freshwater usage for producing lithium at rates far exceeding the current levels... Hmmm.

I'm not a luddite, I had a Prius for 6 years, however environmentally responsible ev battery production is something most ev shills seem to not want to discuss.
Lithium is recyclable, so they don't have to constantly mine new lithium for batteries.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lithium is recyclable, so they don't have to constantly mine new lithium for batteries.
Yep it is, but read up about the amount that is being recycled currently, timeframes associated with recycling (2050... lol) and the costs associated. Nothing is free...
"Electric Vehicle (EV) battery recycling is crucial to a sustainable, electrified transportation system. A substantial portion of key minerals for electrifying could come from recycled batteries by 2050, dramatically reducing the need for new mining." (End of copied portion)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep it is, but read up about the amount that is being recycled currently, timeframes associated with recycling (2050... lol) and the costs associated. Nothing is free...
"Electric Vehicle (EV) battery recycling is crucial to a sustainable, electrified transportation system. A substantial portion of key minerals for electrifying could come from recycled batteries by 2050, dramatically reducing the need for new mining." (End of copied portion)
Probably because there aren't enough batteries that have died to get recycled yet. You know all the doom and gloom posts about most of battery replacements, that aren't common, even on some of the earlier EVs

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sort of, but we're still in the early stages of deployment. They'll have to mine lots. And then one or more of the recycling centers will catch fire and most of that won't be recoverable. And the recycling process isn't 100% anyway, so loss will have to be replaced with new. No sure what the equilibrium point is, but there will be lithium mining/extraction as long as there are lithium batteries.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sort of, but we're still in the early stages of deployment. They'll have to mine lots. And then one or more of the recycling centers will catch fire and most of that won't be recoverable. And the recycling process isn't 100% anyway, so loss will have to be replaced with new. No sure what the equilibrium point is, but there will be lithium mining/extraction as long as there are lithium batteries.
Likely the mining will continue for decades so all of the environmental damage and freshwater usage will occur for at least the next 26 years. Thats a long time and a lot of “cost” to the environment. Its just so typical for supporters of whatever technology only look at the promised benefits without counting the actual costs.
As I said, I’m no luddite but I don’t like the oversimplification of ev that is being touted as saving the planet without the balance of the costs associated.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I do not see EV’s as the future for cars in the near future, not without some crazy breakthroughs in battery technology. They’re not practical especially if they’re your only vehicle. I’ve looked at leasing a Rivian R1T but the technology just isn’t there yet. Takes too long to charge, can’t drive far enough on a charge. Now factor in extreme temperatures or towing and you’re really hurting. Some people can adapt to an EV in their current state I’m just not one of them.

With that being said, I see the future of EV’s in toys, motorcycles possibly. Dirt bikes, quads, side by sides, boats, jet skis. Things that can have a smaller batter that can charge quick that isn’t used to drive all the time or in a boats case a really big battery that can get you around all day and not pollute the waterways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see EV’s as the future for cars in the near future, not without some crazy breakthroughs in battery technology. They’re not practical especially if they’re your only vehicle. I’ve looked at leasing a Rivian R1T but the technology just isn’t there yet. Takes too long to charge, can’t drive far enough on a charge. Now factor in extreme temperatures or towing and you’re really hurting. Some people can adapt to an EV in their current state I’m just not one of them.

With that being said, I see the future of EV’s in toys, motorcycles possibly. Dirt bikes, quads, side by sides, boats, jet skis. Things that can have a smaller batter that can charge quick that isn’t used to drive all the time or in a boats case a really big battery that can get you around all day and not pollute the waterways.
Don't know if boats or jet skis would be a good application. Can you imagine getting stranded in the middle of a lake or, God forbid, ocean with a dead battery, just drifting with the currents. Granted people run out of gas all the time, but at least with a boat you can carry extra gas can

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Don't know if boats or jet skis would be a good application. Can you imagine getting stranded in the middle of a lake or, God forbid, ocean with a dead battery, just drifting with the currents. Granted people run out of gas all the time, but at least with a boat you can carry extra gas can
I mean just like fuel you have to be responsible and mange your battery life. I just think boating is a more practical use for battery powered vehicles.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would hope they find an alternate fuels source for the ICE instead of pushing EVs as the solution, which we all know now that it isn’t. Not sure what that would look like tho.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So carry an extra battery then. I used to fish using a small boat powered by an electric trolling motor. My main battery was a 12v deep cycle truck battery. I carried a second battery in case I had issues with the main battery. It was a small car battery but it was capable of getting me back to the dock from anywhere on the lake. I can't speak to a jet ski/personal watercraft because I've never owned one. But I would think it's something that could be done, but I would think battery size would be a much bigger issue if you want the same performance you can get with gas powered versions. I wouldn't however recommend electric power on the ocean. But a hybrid system would and does work well.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So carry an extra battery then. I used to fish using a small boat powered by an electric trolling motor. My main battery was a 12v deep cycle truck battery. I carried a second battery in case I had issues with the main battery. It was a small car battery but it was capable of getting me back to the dock from anywhere on the lake. I can't speak to a jet ski/personal watercraft because I've never owned one. But I would think it's something that could be done, but I would think battery size would be a much bigger issue if you want the same performance you can get with gas powered versions. I wouldn't however recommend electric power on the ocean. But a hybrid system would and does work well.
That's what they should do! Fill up the truck bed with more batteries in case the main batteries run out. 😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all diminishing return, add more batteries, extra weight requires more energy to move, reducing the run time. But the same goes for carrying extra fuel. Easier to have someone bring you a jug of fuel than try to recharge on the water. I'm all for EVs. Wouldn't mind owning a Rivian R1T or a Tesla Plaid. But I also understand thier limitations.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
For me, I actually want a full EV for around town and suburb trips and errands. Makes sense, I can also charge it up at home at off-peak hours and really save some money over a charge station at freaking 54 cents a kilowatt.

I would also like a full size truck or SUV with a hybrid system, maybe a plug-in with more room and convenient capability for longer trips.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all diminishing return, add more batteries, extra weight requires more energy to move, reducing the run time. But the same goes for carrying extra fuel. Easier to have someone bring you a jug of fuel than try to recharge on the water. I'm all for EVs. Wouldn't mind owning a Rivian R1T or a Tesla Plaid. But I also understand thier limitations.
It's more a case of practicality. At some point it becomes impractical based on space, weight, and cost to carry more than a certain number of batteries. Diminishing returns may come into play eventually, but it would take a lot of batteries before you'd start to see that happen.

Edit: Diminishing returns definitely isn't the case with my little scenario I mentioned in my last post.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
It's more a case of practicality. At some point it becomes impractical based on space, weight, and cost to carry more than a certain number of batteries. Diminishing returns may come into play eventually, but it would take a lot of batteries before you'd start to see that happen.

Edit: Diminishing returns definitely isn't the case with my little scenario I mentioned in my last post.
TFL had a video recently about an all electric water sports boat looked really cool its battery was huge but gave them so much more space in other parts of the deck. Now the boat was prohibitively expensive but I feel like as time goes on they will be more in line with regular boat prices especially if states start banning ICE motors.

Users who are viewing this thread