5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think EVs will make sense eventually in the future, but not exactly in the timeline politicians think it should be.

A mixed solution is best right now, versus a 1 to 1 EV to ICE replacement. Some people that can make sense, to be purely EV already. For others a hybrid or plug-in hybrid makes the most sense.

I for one would love a plug-in hybrid truck. My biggest fuel usage is all short trip drives. If I can be 100% EV during those drives, plug-in to solar and keep off gas when not needed, that would be amazing. Then run the gas engine on longer trips, off-roading or when I feel like it.

RAM Rebel Hurricane PHEV anyone?
I‘d take the 2025 Ramcharger if it was $65K but it is likely going to be 90+. Can’t do that, I was sorta unhappy paying $59.5 for this one…Thank goodness for year-end year old new truck prices from a dealer that wanted to move it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From website “theregister.com” dated 1-16-2024:

Tesla owners in deep freeze discover the cold, hard truth about EVs​

Not all batteries like subzero temperatures​

Richard Currie
Tue 16 Jan 2024 // 14:30 UTC

This week's frigid winter conditions in North America exposed the shortcomings of certain electric vehicles, particularly Teslas.

In the Oak Brook suburb of Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures have routinely dipped way below freezing, local media reported public charging stations turning into "car graveyards" because motorists were unable to power their vehicles.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent, and this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday," Tesla owner Tyler Beard told Fox 32.

He wasn't alone. Dozens of cars were reportedly lined up and abandoned at the Tesla supercharging station in Oak Brook along with multiple charging stations around Chicago.

"This is crazy. It's a disaster. Seriously," said another Tesla driver, Chalis Mizelle, who had to ditch her ride and get picked up by a friend because the car wouldn't charge.

"We got a bunch of dead robots out here," quipped another, while Kevin Sumrak landed at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Sunday night to find his Tesla unresponsive. He had to hire a tow truck and drove around looking for a charging station that worked in the freezing cold.

"I want Elon Musk to do something about this, it'd probably help us out," said another hopelessly optimistic Tesla owner.

However, Mark Bilek of the Chicago Auto Trade Association said that drivers were missing a trick. "Like any new technology, there's a learning curve for people," he told Fox 32. "It's not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge."

But it's really not that simple. Preconditioning also drains the battery. Even looking at Tesla's own "Cold Weather Best Practices" is like playing 4D chess if you need to take a trip in the dead of winter.

(Farther down in the article it says:)

In Canada, Mark Bohaichuk made a widely read observation on hellsite X after meeting a Tesla driver stranded in -45°C (-49°F):

“Saw a fellow sitting in his EV at a charging station. The businesses were still closed for him to stay warm and dawdle while his car charged. I briefly spoke with him as he went into the store. He said he's been sitting in the car running the heaters and it was taking about twice as long to charge. The car's range was about 280km in the cold he said. The fellow said his trip to Saskatoon from Kelowna takes about 3 times longer for charging time (sitting time). His charges today were about $100 and two hours of sitting with heaters on and the battery was only 2/3 charged. He said he liked his EV, but only in summer. But he said only if it's not too hot, AC drains batteries very fast. So, if you live in Canada, and are considering buying an EV, make sure your pockets are deep and you're NEVER on a schedule. I wished him luck. His name was Jack (John) from Kelowna.”

(End of copied portion of article)

Hmmm, maybe EV’s have a bit more testing before they become mainstream. I’m believing that Mayor Pete and company will make sure the grid and battery performance have been fully tested in all 4 seasons of use. Sure he/they will.

Last edited:

Runagun

Reaction score
I wonder if they said the same shyt when gas stations weren't around and guys on horses where laughing at them. Problem people don't understand or maybe they're too ignorant. You cant run a gas station without electricity. Where there's a pump you need a electric pump to pump gas for you. Now instead of gas your "pumping" electricity. Take the middle man out.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd estimate that the number of adults who don't realize it takes electricity to power gas pumps is less than 2% of the population. Even so, so what? Not sure what your point is to be honest. In many parts of the country it takes "fossil fuels" to generate electricity. Or are you too ignorant to understand that? :p

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd estimate that the number of adults who don't realize it takes electricity to power gas pumps is less than 2% of the population. Even so, so what? Not sure what your point is to be honest. In many parts of the country it takes "fossil fuels" to generate electricity. Or are you too ignorant to understand that? :p
it likely takes less electricity to run all the pumps at a station for a week then charge a single EV....

I wonder if they said the same shyt when gas stations weren't around and guys on horses where laughing at them. Problem people don't understand or maybe they're too ignorant. You cant run a gas station without electricity. Where there's a pump you need a electric pump to pump gas for you. Now instead of gas your "pumping" electricity. Take the middle man out.
Funny comparing cars to horses, and then cars to EV cars. I don't see the similarities.
So how exactly do you get rid of the middleman? Are you going to get some hamsters to run in a wheel to charge your car?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plus all the fossil fuels that are needed to mine the materials needed to get what is needed for the batteries most all of which is from overseas which must be shipped on ships which are some of the biggest polluters in the world. Coarse we are back to shipping much of our oil from overseas but we do have the ability to do it hear in the US.

Runagun

Reaction score
Let me ask you a question? Keep it simple... Which one could you live without. if your house had no power or your car had no gas? Cause I know how much it sucks when we have a power outage.

On the point of electricity coming from fossil fuels. While it's true that it does happen. Only reason we are not 💯 nuclear is permits are so damn hard to come by and burning fuel is cheap. Society likes the easy way instead of the right way. And to put things in perspective your kids kid- kid will probably not even know what I gas motor is.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's actually not necessary to use electricity in any part of the extraction/refining/distribution chain. It can all be done with any source of mechanical energy (or heat for refining). Electricity just happens to be a cheap and convenient way to power and control many parts of that chain. And mostly, it's cheap and convenient because it's so easy to generate from oil. I suppose we could all go back to living in cabins and burning wood for heat, but it's more likely we will continue to use a mix of old and new tech for the foreseeable future.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let me ask you a question? Keep it simple... Which one could you live without. if your house had no power or your car had no gas? Cause I know how much it sucks when we have a power outage.
Worse to not have gas in your car for sure.

We have a gas generator so if we lose power we can just fire it up and be fine.
A car without gas can just have gas poured in it from any container that contains gas and work again.
Good luck trying to charge your EV during a power outage now you have no power at home or car to drive and get supplies with a dead brick.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

On the point of electricity coming from fossil fuels. While it's true that it does happen. Only reason we are not 💯 nuclear is permits are so damn hard to come by and burning fuel is cheap. Society likes the easy way instead of the right way. And to put things in perspective your kids kid- kid will probably not even know what I gas motor is.
You say to keep it simple but it's not a simple discussion. Thankfully I don't have to make any kind of choice between the two. And choice is the operative word here in the end. People who want to drive electric cars have that option. People who chose to drive ICE cars should have that choice as well.

Who's to say what the right way is? If you think it's everyone driving EV's you're uninformed. The only thing "clean" about them is after they're sold. And even that depends on where the electricity used to charge them comes from. It takes as much fossil fuels and produces as much CO2 to make an EV as driving a gas powered car for years. The break even point is somewhere around 10-12 years. By then the battery will likely need to be replaced, resetting the clock on that.

Electricity has to be generated. Currently in some parts of the country there isn't enough generation at peak usage times for current demand. Add millions of EV's charging up and no one gets to drive to work. The power grid is strained as it is. To increase that sufficiently would take decades and the cost would be astronomical. I'm not saying it can't be done. But there's no way it can be done in the time frame some current states are saying it needs to happen. To put things back into perspective I don't see gas or diesel engines going anywhere anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread