5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demand For Electric Pickup Trucks Continue To Decline

n8zcc

Reaction score
They won't be replacing batteries, the dealership will be replacing individual cells as needed. We have been informed at the dealer level that training classes are coming soon and about $40,000 in tooling will be sent. Can't wait for that.
This is interesting and sure would take away the anxiety of battery replacement/availability and costs associated, or would it? Now the concern refocuses on the replacement cells. They are going to have a tech replace bad cells with new cells meaning they will be intermixing new cells that can hold their rate capacity with battery cells that have lost their ability to hold their rated capacity.

I don't understand the process proposed but I'm sure they have a way to mitigate this. I think the mitigation is crossing the fingers by the manufacturer that most folks won't know about the battery duty cycle and loss of capacity. If you are lucky, the cells in the battery pack will age together and you are right back at replacing the EV's battery.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is interesting and sure would take away the anxiety of battery replacement/availability and costs associated, or would it? Now the concern refocuses on the replacement cells. They are going to have a tech replace bad cells with new cells meaning they will be intermixing new cells that can hold their rate capacity with battery cells that have lost their ability to hold their rated capacity.

I don't understand the process proposed but I'm sure they have a way to mitigate this. I think the mitigation is crossing the fingers by the manufacturer that most folks won't know about the battery duty cycle and loss of capacity. If you are lucky, the cells in the battery pack will age together and you are right back at replacing the EV's battery.
Doesn’t matter if they replace the cells or the whole battery. It’s still going to cost $30,000 to $50,000 for the dealer to do it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
for the average buyer,
1st problem - cost
2nd problem - interest rate
3rd problem - insurance premium
4rd problem - charging infrastructure
5problem - range
6 problem - towing
EVs actually have a good tow rating compared to their ICE counterparts. So the only issue with towing is covered under #5 with range.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

If you replace a cell it's like a bandaid to keep the entire pack going.
It's way cheaper then replacing the entire pack, but it's only going to fix that 1 cell and nothing else, overtime it will still wear out completely.

It's something people have been doing on Hybrids for a while (but not by dealerships).
It's going to be out classed by its price. I would guess 30k for a battery pack and 5k to replace an cell due to the work it requires to be done, knowing dealership upcharge.

They have that covered, literally, in Cbty2050's post, one of the included items was a fire blanket.
I really hope that is sarcasm.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
EVs actually have a good tow rating compared to their ICE counterparts. So the only issue with towing is covered under #5 with range.
I’m sure they do. The electric motors create way more torque than ICE. That’s why teslas go 0-60 in like 2 seconds.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you replace a cell it's like a bandaid to keep the entire pack going.
It's way cheaper then replacing the entire pack, but it's only going to fix that 1 cell and nothing else, overtime it will still wear out completely.

It's something people have been doing on Hybrids for a while (but not by dealerships).
It's going to be out classed by its price. I would guess 30k for a battery pack and 5k to replace an cell due to the work it requires to be done, knowing dealership upcharge.

I really hope that is sarcasm.
Every home owner is recommended to have a fire blanket for their ev @$1000-1500 cost

n8zcc

Reaction score
The one reoccurring issue with EV towing I see on YouTube is they need to disconnect the trailer, recharge, and then reconnect the trailer. The charges are not laid out to support trailers. They need pull-through charging stations.

DeanM2

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2023 Ram 1500 Hemi. Gas here in San Diego is $6.00 per gallon. I just installed Solar Panels cause San Diego has THE highest electric rates in the United States. Given that I have solar panels and can charge it for free, I would have preferred to buy an EV truck. But the current EV trucks aren't that great. I am hopeful that the Ram EV truck will be better. And if so, I will sell my Hemi and buy an EV.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But the current EV trucks aren't that great. I am hopeful that the Ram EV truck will be better. And if so, I will sell my Hemi and buy an EV.
The Riven looks like a delight to have. Only downside is that god awful noise generator and that it's an EV imo.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just bought a new 2023 Ram 1500 Hemi. Gas here in San Diego is $6.00 per gallon. I just installed Solar Panels cause San Diego has THE highest electric rates in the United States. Given that I have solar panels and can charge it for free, I would have preferred to buy an EV truck. But the current EV trucks aren't that great. I am hopeful that the Ram EV truck will be better. And if so, I will sell my Hemi and buy an EV.

Get Costco premium, just paid $5.09, regular is $4.79 just today in San Diego country, though depends where you live in the city I guess, it's a county with 4 million people and roughly the size of Connecticut so I can imagine you may live in an area that is more pricier in prices than my own.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That my friend, is how the climate quacks force people to that decision.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Get Costco premium, just paid $5.09, regular is $4.79 just today in San Diego country, though depends where you live in the city I guess,
My local Costco in Carlsbad always has a line for gas about 20 cars deep in every lane. That is why I never go there.

n8zcc

Reaction score
My local Costco in Carlsbad always has a line for gas about 20 cars deep in every lane. That is why I never go there.
Same here, in fact, the new Costco builds now have greatly expanded fuel stops.

Sometimes you have to wonder how people think. They come into a Costco fuel station to save 25 cents a gallon (that is the typical delta here between Costco and street prices) with a vehicle that has a 16-gallon tank and is 3/4s empty. So they will sit for 20 or more minutes to save $3. I get it but me, I have other things to do than to try and save $3.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Same here, in fact, the new Costco builds now have greatly expanded fuel stops.

Sometimes you have to wonder how people think. They come into a Costco fuel station to save 25 cents a gallon (that is the typical delta here between Costco and street prices) with a vehicle that has a 16-gallon tank and is 3/4s empty. So they will sit for 20 or more minutes to save $3. I get it but me, I have other things to do than to try and save $3.

I agree, that doesn't make sense if you have a wait that long. The two stations in my area are recent upgrades with more slots, my typical wait when busy is 5-10 minutes but often I get there before 10am or after 3pm, my wait is often 3 minutes. Savings of $5 for a full tank is reasonable at that point.

However, if I need to use the restroom, buy drinks or a snack, check tire pressures, I have a Shell rewards card for those situations and go there instead.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree, that doesn't make sense if you have a wait that long. The two stations in my area are recent upgrades with more slots, my typical wait when busy is 5-10 minutes but often I get there before 10am or after 3pm, my wait is often 3 minutes. Savings of $5 for a full tank is reasonable at that point.

However, if I need to use the restroom, buy drinks or a snack, check tire pressures, I have a Shell rewards card for those situations and go there instead.
It's around 60-80 cents a gallon cheaper at my local BJs. I normally put in 30 gallons so that's $18 right there. I don't drive out of my way to go though

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's around 60-80 cents a gallon cheaper at my local BJs. I normally put in 30 gallons so that's $18 right there. I don't drive out of my way to go though

Wow, that's a huge difference! That, I would wait a bit longer, I can fill my motorcycle with that savings :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Re: the OP here, I think we're still in a "wait and see" moment. Given the slew of breakthroughs in battery technology in 2023 alone, we'll see triple the range and drastically reduced charge times (50-95%, depending on technology) coming to market over the next few years. I think the only variable is timing, i.e., if it takes 5+ years, EVs will have some tough sledding ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/