5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Damage

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
So say I hire a home builder to do a renovation to part of my house. While delivering materials the brakes go out on the guy's truck and he plows into my attached garage causing damage roughly equal to 1/8th the value of my house.
Looks like I can expect to be put into a temporary home while the builder tears down my house and rebuilds it.
He isn't obligated to, but it's the right thing to do. After all, he can build the new house at cost, unlike the drunk driver that causes the same damage but works as an accountant.

MichaelR

Reaction score
So say I hire a home builder to do a renovation to part of my house. While delivering materials the brakes go out on the guy's truck and he plows into my attached garage causing damage roughly equal to 1/8th the value of my house.
Looks like I can expect to be put into a temporary home while the builder tears down my house and rebuilds it.
He isn't obligated to, but it's the right thing to do. After all, he can build the new house at cost, unlike the drunk driver that causes the same damage but works as an accountant.

One time I was rear-ended by a Dixie Products sales rep.

Now ask me why I have 100,000 paper plates in my garage.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You think real estate values are impacted by repair the same way vehicles are? Your brand new garage adds value to the home. Let me know the next time someone's truck is more valuable after major repair or structural damage.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One time I was rear-ended by a Dixie Products sales rep.

Now ask me why I have 100,000 paper plates in my garage.
Explains why you'd take back a busted truck...

Raminit

Reaction score
Trust me
I speak with 27 years of experience working at a dealership
I would go grab a card from an attorney’s office ( just the threat of litigation is usually enough )and have it in my pocket when I spoke to the dealer

there’s something called diminished value which will absolutely make a difference in your trade value.

that being said you do have the upper hand to buy a new truck from them for a deep deep discount. No dealer wants to spend money and time defending themselves in court.

if you’re calm, respectful and reasonable when you speak to the higher ups at said dealer you should absolutely trade your truck

Last edited:

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
You think real estate values are impacted by repair the same way vehicles are? Your brand new garage adds value to the home. Let me know the next time someone's truck is more valuable after major repair or structural damage.

It's just not the same. My original garage matched the house perfectly, this new one will never be perfect like the old one was.
Most likely nobody else would notice, but I will.
No, I think the only way I can be satisfied is with a new house, it's his obligation.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's just not the same. My original garage matched the house perfectly, this new one will never be perfect like the old one was.
Most likely nobody else would notice, but I will.
No, I think the only way I can be satisfied is with a new house, it's his obligation.
You don't have the house inspected?

Got damn. I got some stuff to sell you. Great condition. Never been used. Full price. I know what I got.

I'll be sure to pull the Carfax on your house if I'm ever in the market.

MichaelR

Reaction score

Most states require a real estate agent to report things like a car driving into your house.

Let me know when carfax reporting becomes a law.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most states require a real estate agent to report things like a car driving into your house.

Let me know when carfax reporting becomes a law.
Most states require the homeowner to disclose that.

You know that Carfax is just a company that compiles data right? And that most major insurance carriers require you to report all accidents to them?

All you're really doing is furthering how useless the analogy was.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
You don't have the house inspected?

Got damn. I got some stuff to sell you. Great condition. Never been used. Full price. I know what I got.

Kind of proving my point there.
The house will never be the same, so by your logic I deserve a new house. It's the only way I can be satisfied.

Look, if it was my truck I would expect the dealership to make it right by giving me the value of the truck before damage and making me a good deal on the purchase of a new model. Not trade value, sales value as the OP was not in the market to trade, as far as we know.
What that number would look like, I don't know, but splitting the difference would seem to be fair to me.
We don't know if there was frame damage or not. Judging by those pictures I would think there probably was. We also don't know exactly what the dealer is willing to do.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of proving my point there.
The house will never be the same, so by your logic I deserve a new house. It's the only way I can be satisfied.

Look, if it was my truck I would expect the dealership to make it right by giving me the value of the truck before damage and making me a good deal on the purchase of a new model. Not trade value, sales value as the OP was not in the market to trade, as far as we know.
What that number would look like, I don't know, but splitting the difference would seem to be fair to me.
We don't know if there was frame damage or not. Judging by those pictures I would think there probably was. We also don't know exactly what the dealer is willing to do.
Not really. Structural changes to a house don't impact the value the same way they do in a vehicle. Hell, it's as likely as not that the new garage will add value to the house.

And that's the problem with these half-baked analogies. It's not the same thing. Not even close.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yep, I'd expect them to do that because it's the right thing to do. You're free to disagree and have whatever opinion you want about that.

Still doesn't mean anyone said anything about them being required to do it.
Good for you bud. And if they damaged the vehicle then yes they are required to remedy the situation

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you bud. And if they damaged the vehicle then yes they are required to remedy the situation
Yep, and it's in their interest to do it the right way.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Op should just show this thread to his dealer. I’m sure they will to the right thing then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going by the info at hand they are doing the right thing. They will either fix the truck or deal on a new one according to the OP

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Op should just show this thread to his dealer. I’m sure they will to the right thing then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully he's already contacted his own insurance company so it doesn't much matter what the dealer does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online