5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Damage

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hopefully he's already contacted his own insurance company so it doesn't much matter what the dealer does.
You do realize that the insurance company will treat it as a regular accident and either fix the truck or total the truck giving him "fair market value" for it which he will then take to a dealer to make a deal on a new truck right

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are. They gave him the option to fix it or work a deal on a new truck
They gave him the option to fix the truck or sell him another one. No indication that they're going to work with him any more than anyone else who came in off the street. In fact the opposite is true.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize that the insurance company will treat it as a regular accident and either fix the truck or total the truck giving him "fair market value" for it which he will then take to a dealer to make a deal on a new truck right
They'll give him fair market value for an undamaged truck or they'll repair it and cut him a check for the depreciation.

You didn't know that?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They'll give him fair market value for an undamaged truck or they'll repair it and cut him a check for the depreciation.

You didn't know that?
And neither do you. I'm speaking from my experiences being in the automotive industry for 30 years and having to deal with dealerships and insurance companies.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And neither do you. I'm speaking from my experiences being in the automotive industry for 30 years and having to deal with dealerships and insurance companies.
I'm sure you're a great mechanic, but we're talking about the financials here not the repairs.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They gave him the option to fix the truck or sell him another one. No indication that they're going to work with him any more than anyone else who came in off the street. In fact the opposite is true.
Then that's an arguement entirely up to the guy with the damaged truck to bring to the table when dealing with them. Can you honestly tell me you got your way everytime you've dealt with an issue in life? The dealer will do everything in their power whether you think its right or not in order to save them money and time just like you would if you were in their shoes. I get it, I'd be completely pussed off if it was my truck and I would fight like hell to get them to replace my new truck with at least a killer deal on a new one.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then that's an arguement entirely up to the guy with the damaged truck to bring to the table when dealing with them. Can you honestly tell me you got your way everytime you've dealt with an issue in life? The dealer will do everything in their power whether you think its right or not in order to save them money and time just like you would if you were in their shoes. I get it, I'd be completely pussed off if it was my truck and I would fight like hell to get them to replace my new truck with at least a killer deal on a new one.
I spent a decade in the Marine Corps. Of course I didn't get my way every time.

What does that matter? That doesn't mean I would just accept whatever solution the dealer thought was in their own best interest.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

What does that matter? That doesn't mean I would just accept whatever solution the dealer thought was in their own best interest.
You dont have to accept it and they dont have to offer you anything other than fixing the truck but that's why you sit down and deal with them. You know, find a happy medium.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You dont have to accept it and they dont have to offer you anything other than fixing the truck but that's why you sit down and deal with them. You know, find a happy medium.
Sure, or like I and others have suggested you get your insurance company involved so you don't have to accept whatever solution the dealer thinks works if you don't like it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Sure, or like I and others have suggested you get your insurance company involved so you don't have to accept whatever solution the dealer thinks works if you don't like it.
How will the insurance companies do anything? Insurance claims will either pay to fix it and give it back to you or total it depending on cost or repairs. The dealer already stakes claim to the damage and are will to fix it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How will the insurance companies do anything? Insurance claims will either pay to fix it and give it back to you or total it depending on cost or repairs. The dealer already stakes claim to the damage and are will to fix it.

The dealer cannot submit a diminished value claim, but the owner can.

Last edited:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They give him what his truck was worth before they ****ed it up, sell him a similarly optioned 22 for dealer cost, and work out the difference if there is one.

That's why this is different. I can't buy a Ram directly from the factory for the same price. The dealer can.
This seems to me to make the most sense and will allow the dealer to loose the least amount of money while still doing the right thing, which is really what this is about. Sure, maybe all they legally have to do is repair it, but that's not doing the right thing.

They possibly can make money selling the truck fixed and get points for selling a new truck through Ram. Hell, a smart tax guy can probally figure out a way to write it off for them somehow.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score

HA HA HA....Oooh-Raah to that Devil Dog!!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My $.2

-It’s on the dealer to fix the vehicle to the condition it was prior to the accident and to your satisfaction let them do that and have them either pay for the rental or put you in a loaner

-Expecting them to just put you in a 22 isn’t gonna happen they’re not obligated to go do so, treat this like any other accident.. insurance will cover it or total it out if it was worse.

-Now if they’re are willing to take your truck in trade in on a 22 and give you good price in its previous condition then that’s that’s always a good option. Now I wouldn’t be expecting to not have to come out of pocket the difference, but it it was a few grand it’s worth it getting you into a new truck and not having to deal with the potential loss in resale with a accident reported.

I worked at a dealer years ago and accidents happen. I’ve seen it fixed both ways either by repairing it to its previous condition or getting a customer in something else. Just make sure the customer leaves happy and that the dealer is satisfied with the outcome. We todays shortage trading in to something else might be the better option.

Unfortunately we seem to live in a sue happy country. Where every unexpected unfortunate event seems to trigger those get rich quick schemes and wanna feel like we are entitled to the world when it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suppose it's good that not everyone demands to be made whole, and will just take what is offered. Leaves the opportunities for those who won't accept that to have the possibility of being made whole.

"Accidents happen", yeah they do. How avoidable are these accidents? I've also never been in an accident, let alone at fault in one. I'm also batting 1000% in car washes, it's not difficult, pay attention while you're driving. Accidents happen is often just a way to excuse someone's incompetence, just as it sounds here. How are we excusing a "professional" whose job includes driving customer vehicles around the lot and through a car wash, who couldn't even handle doing so without severely damaging multiple customer vehicles because they either "panicked" or were "distracted." Which one was it? Or was it distracted that led to panic when they released they ****ed up? Oh well, accidents happen.

And boohoo a dealer may have to pay out a little to make the situation right, I think they can afford that after shafting 90%+ of the people that they deal with. If they were a good dealer like MD they'd already be offering to go above and beyond to make it right, hopefully OPs dealer does the same.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was involved in a crash that was due to someone else's negligence, I asked for more than simply repairing my vehicle and diminished value, which insurance companies are resistant to admit that exists. Rarely are there true accidents which in my mind would be acts of god, and maybe I would consider some equipment failures. Maybe.

I think being realistic in the solution is the key.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I suppose it's good that not everyone demands to be made whole, and will just take what is offered. Leaves the opportunities for those who won't accept that to have the possibility of being made whole.

"Accidents happen", yeah they do. How avoidable are these accidents? I've also never been in an accident, let alone at fault in one. I'm also batting 1000% in car washes, it's not difficult, pay attention while you're driving. Accidents happen is often just a way to excuse someone's incompetence, just as it sounds here. How are we excusing a "professional" whose job includes driving customer vehicles around the lot and through a car wash, who couldn't even handle doing so without severely damaging multiple customer vehicles because they either "panicked" or were "distracted." Which one was it? Or was it distracted that led to panic when they released they ****ed up? Oh well, accidents happen.

And boohoo a dealer may have to pay out a little to make the situation right, I think they can afford that after shafting 90%+ of the people that they deal with. If they were a good dealer like MD they'd already be offering to go above and beyond to make it right, hopefully OPs dealer does the same.
Nobody is saying he should take it up the @ss regarding his truck and just accept what the dealer gives him. The dealer is accepting responsibility for that damage and agreed they will fix it or deal with him on a new truck. When I say deal I mean figure out cost he may assume if he decides to take that particular deal. As I've stated multiple times, if it was my truck I would not want it back because that's an awful lot of damage. I would deal with them to see what they will do to get me into the new truck. I certainly wouldnt expect them to give me a new one without some sort of out of pocket expense considering it would be a year or two newer. The dealer is giving him options. It's up to both parties involved to agree on the terms

Users who are viewing this thread