5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DASM won’t take calibration after windshield replacement

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone ever have an issue with the DASM (Drivers Assistance System Module) not taking a calibration after a windshield replacement? I am wondering if this is something they could’ve messed up at the dealer while trying to calibrate it. They are saying it needs to be replaced at a total cost of close to $1000.

yellowboy

Reaction score
wow, that's why I have had 3 chips in the glass, I went with the safelite filler in all 3, didn't want to risk it. 1 is pretty big but on passenger side.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
first off was it replaced with OEM glass? if they used an aftermarket one, chances are it will never work. These radar/camera systems require certain levels of glass purity to work. You can't use a/m glass in most applications, per the manufacturer.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
first off was it replaced with OEM glass? if they used an aftermarket one, chances are it will never work. These radar/camera systems require certain levels of glass purity to work. You can't use a/m glass in most applications, per the manufacturer.
It’s replaced with OEM glass and they are saying it’s something with the DASM supposedly so nothing to do with the glass let them tell it. I’m going to take it to another dealer.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
wow, that's why I have had 3 chips in the glass, I went with the safelite filler in all 3, didn't want to risk it. 1 is pretty big but on passenger side.
I had the chip filled initially but the crack spread. I rode with it for like 3 months while waiting on OEM glass to become available

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing?

I just got a huge crack\chip in my windshield on my Limited with HUD, LKA, and all the other fancy features.
The glass company claims they can re-calibrate it, but they also said they will come to me to replace it.
Not sure how it's possible to calibrate the system on uneven ground, and i'm not sure if the level of the air suspension matters?

I'm pretty concerned they are going to botch it unless I know exactly what needs to be done.

I checked online and there is ZERO information on how to calibrate the systems on the Rams that is not locked behind paywalls.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just got a huge crack\chip in my windshield on my Limited with HUD, LKA, and all the other fancy features.
The glass company claims they can re-calibrate it, but they also said they will come to me to replace it.
Not sure how it's possible to calibrate the system on uneven ground, and i'm not sure if the level of the air suspension matters?

I'm pretty concerned they are going to botch it unless I know exactly what needs to be done.

I checked online and there is ZERO information on how to calibrate the systems on the Rams that is not locked behind paywalls.

I just had my glass replaced with OEE glass and calibration wasn't necessary.
The installer said 95% of what they replace with FCW systems don't require it.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

I have tried to have mine calibrated multiple times and it still isn’t. I think it may be something off in my new pcm that I have on my truck with the hptuners unlock and tune. I haven’t tried to dig into it again yet because I haven’t felt like it. My next effort was going to be putting the old pcm back in that is my original one from the factory that is tuned through Diablo to see if they can calibrate it with that pcm installed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have tried to have mine calibrated multiple times and it still isn’t. I think it may be something off in my new pcm that I have on my truck with the hptuners unlock and tune. I haven’t tried to dig into it again yet because I haven’t felt like it. My next effort was going to be putting the old pcm back in that is my original one from the factory that is tuned through Diablo to see if they can calibrate it with that pcm installed.
Interesting
What did you do to try and calibrate it? Do you know the procedure?

I have an unlocked PCM (my original I shipped out). I don't think it should matter. If it wasn't tied to your vin the PCM shouldn't work

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting
What did you do to try and calibrate it? Do you know the procedure?

I have an unlocked PCM (my original I shipped out). I don't think it should matter. If it wasn't tied to your vin the PCM shouldn't work
The calibration routine is just connecting the scan tool, starting the procedure on the tool, and driving the truck around until it says it’s finished. But, on the ram trucks, for a windshield replacement, it is absolutely not necessary. They just unbolt the DASM from the windshield, and bolt it right back onto the new one, so unless they threw it on the ground, or purposely started turning the adjustment screw with an E-torx socket, it is definitely unnecessary. If you are paying out of pocket, tell them not to bother calibrating because companies like safelite charge almost $500 for the calibration.
Also, tell them not to bother with the “rain sensor calibration” scam, since there is no such procedure for the rain sensor used on FCA vehicles.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For mine, safelite were required to call a tech rep to go through the steps after connecting the calibrator. It took the calibration the first time. That was with a 3/1 lift. One thing of note, I put the stock wheels and tires back on and told them it was not lifted.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The calibration routine is just connecting the scan tool, starting the procedure on the tool, and driving the truck around until it says it’s finished. But, on the ram trucks, for a windshield replacement, it is absolutely not necessary. They just unbolt the DASM from the windshield, and bolt it right back onto the new one, so unless they threw it on the ground, or purposely started turning the adjustment screw with an E-torx socket, it is definitely unnecessary. If you are paying out of pocket, tell them not to bother calibrating because companies like safelite charge almost $500 for the calibration.
Also, tell them not to bother with the “rain sensor calibration” scam, since there is no such procedure for the rain sensor used on FCA vehicles.
In different words, this is what my installer told me.
  • Don't worry about the re-calibration.
  • You shouldn't need it.
  • And don't pay for what you don't need.
I paid 510 installed, plus tax for an OEE windshield. It's a Vitro, same as OEM.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
In different words, this is what my installer told me.
  • Don't worry about the re-calibration.
  • You shouldn't need it.
  • And don't pay for what you don't need.
I paid 510 installed, plus tax for an OEE windshield. It's a Vitro, same as OEM.

Does Vitro make windshields for Ram?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good info all around.

I am not paying out of pocket, glass coverage is required in my state.
I just want to make sure it's right as I just started using a Comma 3 device, and that taps into the sensors and stuff too.
I will make sure to remove the cowl so they can get in without monkeying around.

I also watch the people that do my windshield so they don't do any damage and I find out after the fact. I also make sure to let them know prior I am looking for perfection and to take their time to get it right the first time and haven't had a problem yet (unless I leave them alone and they use a box cutter to remove old adhesive and dig into the paint on the outside of the a pillar for example [happened before on my wife's Kia])

I just wasn't sure on the calibration as it appears different manufactures are very differnet, I was seeing some require things in front of the car at certain distances, but it sounds like it shouldn't need it and even if I do they can do it anywhere, doesn't need flat level ground or something.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good info all around.

I am not paying out of pocket, glass coverage is required in my state.
I just want to make sure it's right as I just started using a Comma 3 device, and that taps into the sensors and stuff too.
I will make sure to remove the cowl so they can get in without monkeying around.

I also watch the people that do my windshield so they don't do any damage and I find out after the fact. I also make sure to let them know prior I am looking for perfection and to take their time to get it right the first time and haven't had a problem yet (unless I leave them alone and they use a box cutter to remove old adhesive and dig into the paint on the outside of the a pillar for example [happened before on my wife's Kia])

I just wasn't sure on the calibration as it appears different manufactures are very differnet, I was seeing some require things in front of the car at certain distances, but it sounds like it shouldn't need it and even if I do they can do it anywhere, doesn't need flat level ground or something.
That's a very sound strategy, especially the part about imploring with the installers to take their time and not fluk shiit up. Stand there and watch them, without scaring them.
I told my installer that I don't need any help causing damage😆, so please don't do it for me. It's obvious when people take pride in their work, but when you can't see them, there is always some doubt.

louscrw

Reaction score
I had to get the windshield replaced on my 2021 Limited recently. Safelite came to my house and did it, pretty convenient since I work from home. Anyway, after the installation, the guy said he had to recalibrate. I had the air suspension in entry/exit just to make it a little easier for him. I put the truck back in normal setting, and he measured from the ground to the fender. I was a little concerned bc I have revel links and 295/70/18 tires, so obviously I’m not at stock height. Anyway, he connected his scan tool and took it for a drive. I rode with him, but let him drive. There were two sensors that were being calibrated. One of them just said “in progress” and the other actually showed a percentage. After about 10 miles or so, they were both completed, and the scan tool said to “pull over safely and press continue to complete”, so we went back to my house. Well, something didn’t work because my Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist are not working and show orange icons in the cluster. The technician called the “recalibration support”, but they couldn’t figure it out. Then, the technician said I needed an appointment to go to their shop because they need to use a “digital meter” and they don’t keep those on the trucks.

I don’t have much faith in the technician because he also broke a tab that is part of the windshield and said they needed to install a new windshield. I believe the tab is for defrost in front of the cameras (small triangle section of lines, top center of the windshield). When making the appointment, they said I had to wait 10 days to allow the glue to fully dry; otherwise, it would be a “gooey mess when removing the windshield”.

Wondering, if I should leave the truck in entry/exit mode if they need to measure height again. Thoughts?

My appointment is Monday afternoon, fingers crossed everything goes smoother this time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had to get the windshield replaced on my 2021 Limited recently. Safelite came to my house and did it, pretty convenient since I work from home. Anyway, after the installation, the guy said he had to recalibrate. I had the air suspension in entry/exit just to make it a little easier for him. I put the truck back in normal setting, and he measured from the ground to the fender. I was a little concerned bc I have revel links and 295/70/18 tires, so obviously I’m not at stock height. Anyway, he connected his scan tool and took it for a drive. I rode with him, but let him drive. There were two sensors that were being calibrated. One of them just said “in progress” and the other actually showed a percentage. After about 10 miles or so, they were both completed, and the scan tool said to “pull over safely and press continue to complete”, so we went back to my house. Well, something didn’t work because my Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist are not working and show orange icons in the cluster. The technician called the “recalibration support”, but they couldn’t figure it out. Then, the technician said I needed an appointment to go to their shop because they need to use a “digital meter” and they don’t keep those on the trucks.

I don’t have much faith in the technician because he also broke a tab that is part of the windshield and said they needed to install a new windshield. I believe the tab is for defrost in front of the cameras (small triangle section of lines, top center of the windshield). When making the appointment, they said I had to wait 10 days to allow the glue to fully dry; otherwise, it would be a “gooey mess when removing the windshield”.

Wondering, if I should leave the truck in entry/exit mode if they need to measure height again. Thoughts?

My appointment is Monday afternoon, fingers crossed everything goes smoother this time.
Sounds like what just happened to me.

I have adhesive ozzing out the left side, he broke tabs on the plastic cornor side pieces, the defrost tab which is soldered or whatever to the windshield broke off.

Dealerships need to start doing their own glass instead of out souring all the work. I called my local dealership and they outright refused to do anything with glass, saying the glass company would call them and I would drop the truck off at the dealership and have the glass done and the dealership recalibrate the sensors. Well the glass company said they had no idea about that, and refused to call the dealership and they did it at my home while I watched the "tech" half *** it. At the end he even refused to recalibrate the sensors and said he needed another team to call me and schedule to come out in a week or 2 after I was told it would all get done at once, this was before I saw how he butchered the install job and damaged multiple trim pieces on a simple windshield install.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Why did the guy say it needed to be re-calibrated? Were there errors after the glass was replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread