5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DASM won’t take calibration after windshield replacement

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to get the windshield replaced on my 2021 Limited recently. Safelite came to my house and did it, pretty convenient since I work from home. Anyway, after the installation, the guy said he had to recalibrate. I had the air suspension in entry/exit just to make it a little easier for him. I put the truck back in normal setting, and he measured from the ground to the fender. I was a little concerned bc I have revel links and 295/70/18 tires, so obviously I’m not at stock height. Anyway, he connected his scan tool and took it for a drive. I rode with him, but let him drive. There were two sensors that were being calibrated. One of them just said “in progress” and the other actually showed a percentage. After about 10 miles or so, they were both completed, and the scan tool said to “pull over safely and press continue to complete”, so we went back to my house. Well, something didn’t work because my Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist are not working and show orange icons in the cluster. The technician called the “recalibration support”, but they couldn’t figure it out. Then, the technician said I needed an appointment to go to their shop because they need to use a “digital meter” and they don’t keep those on the trucks.

I don’t have much faith in the technician because he also broke a tab that is part of the windshield and said they needed to install a new windshield. I believe the tab is for defrost in front of the cameras (small triangle section of lines, top center of the windshield). When making the appointment, they said I had to wait 10 days to allow the glue to fully dry; otherwise, it would be a “gooey mess when removing the windshield”.

Wondering, if I should leave the truck in entry/exit mode if they need to measure height again. Thoughts?

My appointment is Monday afternoon, fingers crossed everything goes smoother this time.
This is exactly how mine is still now. Let us know if they are able to calibrate yours. I’m finally tired of not having my cruise control

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The calibration routine is just connecting the scan tool, starting the procedure on the tool, and driving the truck around until it says it’s finished. But, on the ram trucks, for a windshield replacement, it is absolutely not necessary. They just unbolt the DASM from the windshield, and bolt it right back onto the new one, so unless they threw it on the ground, or purposely started turning the adjustment screw with an E-torx socket, it is definitely unnecessary. If you are paying out of pocket, tell them not to bother calibrating because companies like safelite charge almost $500 for the calibration.
Also, tell them not to bother with the “rain sensor calibration” scam, since there is no such procedure for the rain sensor used on FCA vehicles.
Is this true even if larger tires are installed on the truck? The Service Manager at my local dealership told me not to put bigger tires on because if the windshield needs to be replaced, the DASM cannot be calibrated unless the truck is at stock ride height.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is this true even if larger tires are installed on the truck? The Service Manager at my local dealership told me not to put bigger tires on because if the windshield needs to be replaced, the DASM cannot be calibrated unless the truck is at stock ride height.
No. Before the alignment procedure, their scan tool asks them if it is not stock ride height or tires, and if not, what sizes. But, do you know how many people there are out there that have lifts, bigger tires, and adaptive cruise, and never even gave it a second thought about the DASM.
The above example is why you don’t ever need anybody messing with the alignment on these DASMs.

louscrw

Reaction score
Why did the guy say it needed to be re-calibrated? Were there errors after the glass was replaced?
I’m not sure if there were errors after replacing the windshield or not. I was inside while he was doing the work, and when I went outside to see how it was going, he already had his scan tool connected to the OBD port and was going through the process. At that time, I did notice the icons were orange on the instrument cluster and the button above the 12” screen was lit, as if turned off. But, I don’t know what was done before I got outside or if it was already like that prior to him messing with stuff.

My gut tells me he inadvertently messed with the set screw when he was taking everything apart and that is why it failed calibration. If he were in a hurry and/or not paying attention, he may have started to unscrew it thinking it was one of the screws for removing the module. Of course, I cannot confirm that as I was not watching him the whole time.

I wish I would’ve looked into this before my original appointment, then I would’ve watched him more closely, to make sure he didn’t mess with the set screw and to confirm re-calibration was needed or not. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I’ll be sure to update tomorrow afternoon after the windshield is replaced AGAIN (due to the tech breaking the soldered tab on the new windshield) and they attempt to re-calibrate. Supposedly they have some digital meter that is required. We’ll see.

louscrw

Reaction score
**UPDATE** Went to Safelite today, and the technician attempted to re-calibrate. It failed again. He and his manager explained to me that my larger than stock tires were preventing the calibration from being successful. They told me my two options were 1) put stock wheels and tires on and return for the calibration or 2) go to the dealer and ask them to calibrate. I opted to for option 2 since I sold me factory 22” night edition wheels; Safelite made me sign a waiver for the lack of calibration before I left.

I left Safelite and went straight to the dealer. Talked to the service manager and he just chuckled and said this happens all the time. He said it would be no problem to calibrate, and it would cost me $160 for the service appointment. He did warn me that sometimes on trucks with large lifts, they have to take a few extra steps to get the calibration to be successful, and that would cost $300. But, he felt confident my truck (just revel links in front for level) would be successful with the $160 service. Appointment is set for Wednesday morning.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**UPDATE** Went to Safelite today, and the technician attempted to re-calibrate. It failed again. He and his manager explained to me that my larger than stock tires were preventing the calibration from being successful. They told me my two options were 1) put stock wheels and tires on and return for the calibration or 2) go to the dealer and ask them to calibrate. I opted to for option 2 since I sold me factory 22” night edition wheels; Safelite made me sign a waiver for the lack of calibration before I left.

I left Safelite and went straight to the dealer. Talked to the service manager and he just chuckled and said this happens all the time. He said it would be no problem to calibrate, and it would cost me $160 for the service appointment. He did warn me that sometimes on trucks with large lifts, they have to take a few extra steps to get the calibration to be successful, and that would cost $300. But, he felt confident my truck (just revel links in front for level) would be successful with the $160 service. Appointment is set for Wednesday morning.
Good luck! Please let us know how you make out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't even need a re-calibration.

I still am waiting for my second glass to come in (first one had a broken plug).

Speed adaptive cruise controls works 100% like it did before. Not letting some monkey try to reconfigure my system unless it's the dealership, and even then...

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what worries me. Lots of conflicting experiences. Right now I’m only 1” over stock, so I’m sure I would be fine either way. Worst case, I figure I can let some air out of the tires if I have to. But, I really want to do a 2” level kit like I had on my 19 BH, but not if it’s going to be an issue if/when I inevitably need to have the windshield replaced.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I leveled 3.5" in the front and 2" in the rear, then had my windshield replaced and never needed recalibration.
And I put on 34" tires.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what worries me. Lots of conflicting experiences.
I think the trick is just don't let some random guy plug into your truck and try to learn how to do their job.

I can personally attest to getting my shield replaced with no calibration and it works perfectly. I havn't seen anyone who said had a shield replaced and had problems unless someone touched the computers. Just like Jimmy07 said.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I sure wish I didn’t have mine calibrated. It was working but would go unavailable a few times since I had my windshield replaced so I figured I still needed the calibration and that’s the only reason I took it to the dealer for it.

louscrw

Reaction score
I think the trick is just don't let some random guy plug into your truck and try to learn how to do their job.

I can personally attest to getting my shield replaced with no calibration and it works perfectly. I havn't seen anyone who said had a shield replaced and had problems unless someone touched the computers. Just like Jimmy07 said.
Good luck! Please let us know how you make out.
Last update: Woke up this morning to bring the truck to the dealership for appointment, and with no explanation, the LKA and ACC were working as intended. I’m not sure how or why, but they are working. Like we always said in the military, it is “Foxtrot Mike” (F*&^ing Magic).

Needless to say, I did not drop the truck off. I called them, they made a note of it in the system, and just said if it stops working in the future make another appt. They did tell me the system probably isn’t calibrated to account for my level and tires, but I told them I’m not concerned with that, I just wanted to errors to go away.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced today at a Safelite shop with the OEM Mopar windshield that I checked before leaving. I chose not to wait around so IDK if they broke anything I can't see (where are these tabs anyway?). They charged the insurance co $594 for the windshield and $133 labor, probably some contracted price that would been 2x that if I paid directly.

I have no warnings and got a piece of advertising saying it was recalibrated. They charged the insurance company $257 to do the "recalibrate". I suspect I need to test all the ACC and LKA.

Let us know how everything works out for you.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had my windshield replace at a Safelite shop with the OEM Mopar windshield that I checked before leaving. I chose not to wait around so IDK if they broke anything I can't see (where are these tabs anyway?). They charged the insurance co $594 for the windshield and $133 labor, probably some contracted price that would been 2x that if I paid directly.

I have no warnings and got a piece of advertising saying it was recalibrated. They charged the insurance company $257 to do the "recalibrate". I suspect I need to test all the ACC and LKA.

Let us know how everything works out for you.
Did they take your truck for a test drive without you knowing?
Can't recalibrate it without driving it.

Ram&jeep

Reaction score
Safelite replaced the windshield on my 2020 1500. They did a calibration. A few days later I noticed the Lane Sense was not functioning. They hooked up there calibration tablet and said it showed no errors. They are blaming it on the aftermarket glass and are going to replace it with an own windshield next week.

Twhits1500

Reaction score
I had to get the windshield replaced on my 2021 Limited recently. Safelite came to my house and did it, pretty convenient since I work from home. Anyway, after the installation, the guy said he had to recalibrate. I had the air suspension in entry/exit just to make it a little easier for him. I put the truck back in normal setting, and he measured from the ground to the fender. I was a little concerned bc I have revel links and 295/70/18 tires, so obviously I’m not at stock height. Anyway, he connected his scan tool and took it for a drive. I rode with him, but let him drive. There were two sensors that were being calibrated. One of them just said “in progress” and the other actually showed a percentage. After about 10 miles or so, they were both completed, and the scan tool said to “pull over safely and press continue to complete”, so we went back to my house. Well, something didn’t work because my Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist are not working and show orange icons in the cluster. The technician called the “recalibration support”, but they couldn’t figure it out. Then, the technician said I needed an appointment to go to their shop because they need to use a “digital meter” and they don’t keep those on the trucks.

I don’t have much faith in the technician because he also broke a tab that is part of the windshield and said they needed to install a new windshield. I believe the tab is for defrost in front of the cameras (small triangle section of lines, top center of the windshield). When making the appointment, they said I had to wait 10 days to allow the glue to fully dry; otherwise, it would be a “gooey mess when removing the windshield”.

Wondering, if I should leave the truck in entry/exit mode if they need to measure height again. Thoughts?

My appointment is Monday afternoon, fingers crossed everything goes smoother this time.
Curious if you have had any luck. I have been trying to get this fixed for the past 6 weeks with 2 dealer visits and now 4 Safelite visits. Fortunately it is an insurance claim so I am not footing the bill.

Mine is a 2019 and completely stock--new tires but same size... Exact same deal. ACC and lane sensors not working. Lane keep assist not working. Says there is a DASM update that the truck needs to have run at the dealer for their calibration to work. I think just their way to pass the issue off for me to deal with. I did get an OEM windshield out of it when the Safelite windshield didn't work but OEM is no better, in this case, so far. Extremely frustrated. Please if anyone has any wisdom, I am all ears.

Twhits1500

Reaction score
Curious if you have had any luck. I have been trying to get this fixed for the past 6 weeks with 2 dealer visits and now 4 Safelite visits. Fortunately it is an insurance claim so I am not footing the bill.

Mine is a 2019 and completely stock--new tires but same size... Exact same deal. ACC and lane sensors not working. Lane keep assist not working. Says there is a DASM update that the truck needs to have run at the dealer for their calibration to work. I think just their way to pass the issue off for me to deal with. I did get an OEM windshield out of it when the Safelite windshield didn't work but OEM is no better, in this case, so far. Extremely frustrated. Please if anyone has any wisdom, I am all ears.
After posting found out when talking to dealer that they did do the re-program (tech performed it before I authorized the work and the service agent didn’t even know it had been done until after I left) but it failed with the after market shield. Dealer says now that the OEM shield is in they need to re-program again and should get it. Good grief. Hope I am getting closer to the finish line.

Users who are viewing this thread