5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashboard fit and finish problem?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited, and the dash is de laminating. It has 40k miles, and I’m told it’s out of warranty. It seems that this is a major issue the Ram needs to address. A 1 year old 70k dollar truck should not be having these issues. This is the to be the top of the line truck is very disappointing to say the least. My 2016 Ram Limited that I traded in had 160k miles, and no dash issues at all. Maybe we should file a class action law suite to get them to recall their bad design.
Holy $hit dude...that's horrible and far worse than what I've experienced. My fear is that mine will develop into what you're seeing. I still have a year on my factory warranty and I bought an extended FCA warranty that will cover this, but my plan is to replace her in a year anyway so hopefully I'll make it that far without having to have a new dash installed. Very sorry to see this and we ALL should be concerned that have a leather covered dash. This should NEVER happen!!!!!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited, and the dash is de laminating. It has 40k miles, and I’m told it’s out of warranty. It seems that this is a major issue the Ram needs to address. A 1 year old 70k dollar truck should not be having these issues. This is the to be the top of the line truck is very disappointing to say the least. My 2016 Ram Limited that I traded in had 160k miles, and no dash issues at all. Maybe we should file a class action law suite to get them to recall their bad design. View attachment 73049 View attachment 73050

Lots of armor all on that dash

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lots of armor all on that dash
Stop with the Armor All BS! I did not use Armor All and mine is doing it too. If a product like Armor All, or any other leather cleaner/conditioner does this to a dash, then it's a VERY poorly manufactured dash. If you put leather on a dash, or anywhere in a vehicle, the manufacturer should expect that one will want to take great care of it and any high quality leather product should not delaminate a dash.

Mike.M1367

Reaction score
Stop with the Armor All BS! I did not use Armor All and mine is doing it too. If a product like Armor All, or any other leather cleaner/conditioner does this to a dash, then it's a VERY poorly manufactured dash. If you put leather on a dash, or anywhere in a vehicle, the manufacturer should expect that one will want to take great care of it and any high quality leather product should not delaminate a dash.
Damn that blows! Did they says its out of warranty because the 3yr 36k miles? Thats a very unlucky timing :( .
Mines starting to come up, and I Have 26k miles, so I need to start a claim quick. But I'm just worried about them doing a poor job like some people on this section have claimed.

BowDown

Reaction score

That dash is awfully shiny and dark for not using any armor all type protectant. Mine dosen't look like that after using gyeon leather coat; the upholstery shop that did my cars door panels said that chemicals in armor all type protestants break down the adhesive and can cause that. UV light through the windshield doesn't help either.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited, and the dash is de laminating. It has 40k miles, and I’m told it’s out of warranty. It seems that this is a major issue the Ram needs to address. A 1 year old 70k dollar truck should not be having these issues. This is the to be the top of the line truck is very disappointing to say the least. My 2016 Ram Limited that I traded in had 160k miles, and no dash issues at all. Maybe we should file a class action law suite to get them to recall their bad design. View attachment 73049 View attachment 73050
That looks terrible. You say you just bought this truck? How did you not notice the issues with the dash before you bought it? I know it can be exciting to buy a new (or new to you) vehicle. And it's easy to miss minor imperfections. But that's kind of glaring, and should have been obvious on the test drive at the very least. I agree that it shouldn't happen, but I won't limit it to $70 trucks. It shouldn't happen to any vehicle that's only 2 years old, regardless of how much it cost.

Bill S

Reaction score
That dash is awfully shiny and dark for not using any armor all type protectant. Mine dosen't look like that after using gyeon leather coat; the upholstery shop that did my cars door panels said that chemicals in armor all type protestants break down the adhesive and can cause that. UV light through the windshield doesn't help either.
I bought this truck used with 39k. What ever was put on it, was done by the dealer that I bought it from. Mac Haik group is the company in Houston.

Dman2983

Reaction score
Brought mine in a month ago for the same issue - they ordered a new dash that shows an eta of 11/14 - all I can do is hope they do a good job with the replacement
Did you get your dash replaced yet? If so, any issues?

Dman2983

Reaction score
Just gently pull it up and work your way around, no tools.
I started on the corner, either left or right then gently pry it up and work your way all the way around . Theres 3 clips on the front near the windshield but once you get it going, you'll see.

View attachment 70677

View attachment 70678
So I finally followed your advice and I like the way it turned out. Thank you for this quick fix. The only issue I ran into is, even though I was very careful, when I pulled up the hood 2 of the 3 metal clips along the front broke. It still looks good, I just know that it's not as secure as it should be. Anyone have any idea where I can buy these clips. Please see the attached photos. Thank in advance.

Attachments

• 20201213_152831.jpg
    20201213_152831.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201213_152828.jpg
    20201213_152828.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201213_152819.jpg
    20201213_152819.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 42

BowDown

Reaction score
So I finally followed your advice and I like the way it turned out. Thank you for this quick fix. The only issue I ran into is, even though I was very careful, when I pulled up the hood 2 of the 3 metal clips along the front broke. It still looks good, I just know that it's not as secure as it should be. Anyone have any idea where I can buy these clips. Please see the attached photos. Thank in advance.

Its not broken, slide those clips back onto the tabs and reinstall, you're good

20201213_145428.jpg

It looks like it may be the yellow circled clip, same thing, press it back into the slot and reinstall. Either way, nothing is broken

Last edited:

Dman2983

Reaction score
Its not broken, slide those clips back onto the tabs and reinstall, you're good

View attachment 76524

It looks like it may be the yellow circled clip, same thing, press it back into the slot and reinstall. Either way, nothing is broken
Yeah that's what I was hoping at first, but the metal clips definitely broke. I couldn't believe it either! Please see the attached photos of the 2 pieces I recovered. One peice fell somewhere into the depths of the dashboard. I hope it's not a specialty clip that Ram makes just for this application. If so, I'll probably have to get the whole dash just to get those clips! Lol Even without the clips it still looks good though. I can't believe I somehow deleted the before pic, but it was bad! You could see right into the dash beforehand.

Attachments

• 20201213_160337.jpg
    20201213_160337.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201213_160900.jpg
    20201213_160900.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 39

BowDown

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was hoping at first, but the metal clips definitely broke. I couldn't believe it either! Please see the attached photos of the 2 pieces I recovered. One peice fell somewhere into the depths of the dashboard. I hope it's not a specialty clip that Ram makes just for this application. If so, I'll probably have to get the whole dash just to get those clips! Lol Even without the clips it still looks good though. I can't believe I somehow deleted the before pic, but it was bad! You could see right into the dash beforehand.

Try this

Dman2983

Reaction score
Try this

They do look close, but plastic and not exactly the same shape. That's the closest thing I've seen so far though. I guess for only $10, I'll give them a shot and let you know. Thanks again for your help.

BowDown

Reaction score
They do look close, but plastic and not exactly the same shape. That's the closest thing I've seen so far though. I guess for only $10, I'll give them a shot and let you know. Thanks again for your help.

From what I found, FCA went to those. The part number for the metal ones states no longer available

Dman2983

Reaction score
From what I found, FCA went to those. The part number for the metal ones states no longer available
Ok sweet! They probably switched because the metal ones break too easily. I'm surprised (and glad) yours didn't break. I'll definitely order them tonight. Thanks again

BowDown

Reaction score
Ok sweet! They probably switched because the metal ones break too easily. I'm surprised (and glad) yours didn't break. I'll definitely order them tonight. Thanks again
Yeah, looking at yours me too. I probably took it off 10-15 times adjusting then re-test fitting.

Bill S

Reaction score
Did you get your dash replaced yet? If so, any is
I bought this truck used with 39k. What ever was put on it, was done by the dealer that I bought it from. Mac Haik group is the company in Houston.
FCA replaced my dash. I am amazed at their response. I am a Ram guy for life now! No rattles, or damages from the install. Dash 3.jpg

Dman2983

Reaction score
Yeah, looking at yours me too. I probably took it off 10-15 times adjusting then re-test fitting.
Hi Bowdown,

So I received the new clips today and, unfortunately they are not the right fit. I was hopeful as I couldn't find anything else even remotely close. They would probably work if they were just a little bigger. I was however able to rig the broken clips to somewhat work. Although it does bother me knowing I rigged broken clips to fix the dash in my brand new (ridiculous amount of $$$) truck. But I guess it is what it is. Congrats Bill S on the new dash. It looks great. If I had the same issue, I definitely would have let them replace it. I was just too nervous to let them replace the whole dash over one easily removal (and fixable) part. I've attached the QR codes from my cluster hood assembly. I was not able to find anything with them, but maybe they can help someone else. It makes no sense that you can't just get a new cluster hood assembly when it has it's own part #. Bowdown, thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 20201216_130200.jpg
    20201216_130200.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201216_130205.jpg
    20201216_130205.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201216_125319.jpg
    20201216_125319.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 31

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The gauge hood is not available as a separate part...trust me...I looked everywhere but a junk yard. It comes as part of the larger dash assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread