5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashboard fit and finish problem?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK guys...I need your help to make the best decision that I can. I noticed on my nice leather Limited dash that I have a bubble in the leather where the leather is pulling away from the base it's attached to (PIC #1). Not long after, I noticed that the gauge cluster cover had a ripple in the leather and it looks worse when its cool and starts to go away when it gets hot (PIC #2). Took it up to the dealer to look at. They closely inspected it and also showed me that the gauge cluster cover was also coming apart at the base towards the windshield which I didn't even see (PIC #3). Majorly pissed to say the least when you spend this much on a nice truck but it is what it is...for now. I asked if the gauge cluster piece can be removed and replaced. They told me that it only comes with a complete dashboard. I have read that it takes 12+ hours to replace and I am VERY concerned about rattles and messing up something more to pull the entire dash out to replace. I am thinking that I may be able to take a small syringe (I have a friend who's a drug addict and will share his needles with me :p ) and insert a glue back underneath the dash bubble in pic 1 and just have my dealer pop the gauge cluster piece and replace. Not sure how well this will work, but I am concerned about having my entire dash ripped out and the ramifications that may follow. What would you suggest based on my situation? I was only planning to keep the truck another year before getting my next victim. Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and recommendations.
RAM Dash Bubble.jpg RAM CLUSTER COVER.jpg RAM CLUSTER COVER 2.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Georgf

Reaction score
I don't need to buy anything...the dealer will replace the gauge cluster cover...my bigger concern is do I allow them to do the entire dash based on the bubble that you can see in pic #1?
I will disassemble entire dashboard soon by myself, to make it leather... Approx in 2 weeks could say about this work in details. My opinion it’s nothing scary if you replace it by dealer

Dman2983

Reaction score
OK guys...I need your help to make the best decision that I can. I noticed on my nice leather Limited dash that I have a bubble in the leather where the leather is pulling away from the base it's attached to (PIC #1). Not long after, I noticed that the gauge cluster cover had a ripple in the leather and it looks worse when its cool and starts to go away when it gets hot (PIC #2). Took it up to the dealer to look at. They closely inspected it and also showed me that the gauge cluster cover was also coming apart at the base towards the windshield which I didn't even see (PIC #3). Majorly pissed to say the least when you spend this much on a nice truck but it is what it is...for now. I asked if the gauge cluster piece can be removed and replaced. They told me that it only comes with a complete dashboard. I have read that it takes 12+ hours to replace and I am VERY concerned about rattles and messing up something more to pull the entire dash out to replace. I am thinking that I may be able to take a small syringe (I have a friend who's a drug addict and will share his needles with me :p ) and insert a glue back underneath the dash bubble in pic 1 and just have my dealer pop the gauge cluster piece and replace. Not sure how well this will work, but I am concerned about having my entire dash ripped out and the ramifications that may follow. What would you suggest based on my situation? I was only planning to keep the truck another year before getting my next victim. Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and recommendations.
View attachment 72452 View attachment 72453 View attachment 72454
Did your dealer actually say they are willing to just replace the gauge cluster hood? I have the issue where the hood is popping up in the front and back. My dealer says they cannot just replace the hood. They have to replace the entire dash. I'm concerned like you about rattles and additional damage to something else while they're taking the dash out and replacing.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did your dealer actually say they are willing to just replace the gauge cluster hood? I have the issue where the hood is popping up in the front and back. My dealer says they cannot just replace the hood. They have to replace the entire dash. I'm concerned like you about rattles and additional damage to something else while they're taking the dash out and replacing.
I had a scratch that they did on the leather on top of my gauge cluster and they had to replace my entire dash to fix it. This was done well over a year ago and I have had no problems with my dash. I think letting them do it will turn out better than the syringe and glue idea

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have not asked...they said the part won't be in until December 1, so I have some time to decide what I want to do. The thought of replacing the entire dash scares the CRAP out of me!!!!!

Dman2983

Reaction score
I have not asked...they said the part won't be in until December 1, so I have some time to decide what I want to do. The thought of replacing the entire dash scares the CRAP out of me!!!!!
Yeah me too. I understand that they have to order the whole dash to get that part. So please let us know if your dealer is willing to just replace the cluster hood when the dash gets in. If I was the tech facing a 12 hour dash removal and replacement or a 2 minute pop off/pop in repair, I know what would do!

BowDown

Reaction score
I don't need to buy anything as it's being handled under warranty...the dealer will replace the gauge cluster cover...my bigger concern is do I allow them to do the entire dash based on the bubble that you can see in pic #1?

Let them do it and move on.
My question to you is this, what was applied to the dash? Any armour all type protectant?
I had the door panels reupholstered in leather on my car and one developed bubbles or started to lift in areas like your dash. The upholstery shop said it looked like the door panel got wet and ruined the adhesive (which is what happend, shop left the windows partially down and it rained) They also said armour all type "protectants" cause this.
I don't use anything like that on my leather especially the dash, using gyeon leather coat currently and also had all ceramic UV film installed on all the windows.

BowDown

Reaction score

You can fix that your self in about 15 min, no way I'd go through this if my only issue was the gauge pod hood

Dman2983

Reaction score
You can fix that your self in about 15 min, no way I'd go through this if my only issue was the gauge pod hood
Did you just apply heat to the top (leather) side, the bottom (plastic) side or both?

BowDown

Reaction score
Did you just apply heat to the top (leather) side, the bottom (plastic) side or both?

Just the bottom, right in the crease to make the bend tighter. Literally took 10-15 minutes. Dont heat the leather side

Dman2983

Reaction score
Just the bottom, right in the crease to make the bend tighter. Literally took 10-15 minutes. Dont heat the leather side
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait for Chrysler to approve the dash swap and send it out before attempting the fix myself. You know, just in case I mess it up. I've overdone it with the heat gun on previous projects before.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let them do it and move on.
My question to you is this, what was applied to the dash? Any armour all type protectant?
I had the door panels reupholstered in leather on my car and one developed bubbles or started to lift in areas like your dash. The upholstery shop said it looked like the door panel got wet and ruined the adhesive (which is what happend, shop left the windows partially down and it rained) They also said armour all type "protectants" cause this.
I don't use anything like that on my leather especially the dash, using gyeon leather coat currently and also had all ceramic UV film installed on all the windows.
The only thing I use is Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Something like this should NEVER cause the leather to come away from the plastic it's attached to.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not only is mine puckering on the gauge pod hood, but if you look at PIC #3, it appears to be completely pulling away at bottom right towards the windshield where you can see the zig-zag created in the leather to go around the curve. Based on this fact, it's crystal clear to me now that the puckering is caused by the leather pulling away at the edge. I'm sure that if I pop it off to stretch the leather back into position, it may work but how do I then resecure the leather to the pod so it doesn't reoccur?

BowDown

Reaction score
Not only is mine puckering on the gauge pod hood, but if you look at PIC #3, it appears to be completely pulling away at bottom right towards the windshield where you can see the zig-zag created in the leather to go around the curve. Based on this fact, it's crystal clear to me now that the puckering is caused by the leather pulling away at the edge. I'm sure that if I pop it off to stretch the leather back into position, it may work but how do I then resecure the leather to the pod so it doesn't reoccur?

Again, speaking to the other guy, there's no fixing what you've got, thats dash replacement; I wouldn't even contemplate that

mtehonica

Reaction score
Brought mine in a month ago for the same issue - they ordered a new dash that shows an eta of 11/14 - all I can do is hope they do a good job with the replacement

Bill S

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited, and the dash is de laminating. It has 40k miles, and I’m told it’s out of warranty. It seems that this is a major issue the Ram needs to address. A 1 year old 70k dollar truck should not be having these issues. This is the to be the top of the line truck is very disappointing to say the least. My 2016 Ram Limited that I traded in had 160k miles, and no dash issues at all. Maybe we should file a class action law suite to get them to recall their bad design. 97949F26-A1CA-4DD5-8351-24984922E247.jpeg 0C864768-A6F2-470E-97A5-3F32DFB7A462.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread