5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cylinder deactivation? 5.7

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Another thing I’m wondering if it might correlate to MDS ... after my first 1000+ mile trip, there is soot on the bottom parts of each chrome exhaust pipe cover, and significantly more on the left side one.

Does anyone know what the cylinder selection logic is for deactivated cylinders? Could there be an incomplete combustion that coincidentally ends up focusing on one side of the exhaust system?

I was surprised to see anything at all.

U

User_3336

Its definitely annoying as f***! Turned it off everytime I put the truck in "D".

Who wants a V8 running in 4 cylinder mode? Buy yourself a Colorado or Canyon.

I guess I’m an unfortunate one because the MDS drives me crazy. I suppose everyone has their particular pet peev pertaining to their truck... mine happens to be the MDS

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I also have the mds, I have a hemi for a reason and want all 8 cylinders at full potential 100% time, no lag.. how do I reactive this option?
I know getting a custom tune will turn it off but is there another way to deactivate without a tune??
Fucc mpg I want my v8 lol

Mason1217

Reaction score
I also have the mds, I have a hemi for a reason and want all 8 cylinders at full potential 100% time, no lag.. how do I reactive this option?
I know getting a custom tune will turn it off but is there another way to deactivate without a tune??
Just hit the tow/haul mode as soon as you turn your truck on. For those who don’t care about mpg and want full power all the time it’s the easiest way to do it imo

dalailama23

Reaction score
Just hit the tow/haul mode as soon as you turn your truck on. For those who don’t care about mpg and want full power all the time it’s the easiest way to do it imo
It also makes it shift sportier and turns of the eng off Etourqe feature

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to their supported vehicle list, they don't support the Ram later than 2011 model year.

I sent them a request because to me this seems simple to do by watching the canbus that when gear 8 is reached then send signal for gear limiter. Of course it may not be that simple because I can't do it :)

Dontfront82

Reaction score

Ram should have put a Actual SPORT mode on the Sport laramine lol tow haul just seems diffrent

U

User_3336

this has been talked about so many times...............

If you want to "temporarily" deactivate MDS........ Use the + / - buttons on your steering wheel.

As soon as you put your truck in drive, hit the " - " button, then hit the " + " button until your gear indicator goes to " 8 " as displayed in your instrument cluster LCD. The truck will shift thru all the gear normally, and MDS will never ever come on.

Putting the truck back in park or turning it off cancels the function. You must do it every time you put your truck in DRIVE.

(and for those of you obsessed with the ECO light, it will ever come on either).

U

User_3336

The device is a MUST if you own a Sierra or Silverado. You think its bad in the RAM, you have noooooooo idea what its like in the GM's....

Range Technology "AFM" disabler (GM)

This is a good option but they are not making it for the 2019 yet.

U

User_3336

Tow Haul alters the shift patterns... Using the -/+ buttons doesn't (shift patterns remain normal)

Denny Crane

Reaction score
So I ran a test tonight. I turned on the ECO light (display menu). Then just drove the truck gently around, the ECO light was lit.

I gave it a gentle throttle push ... WOOOMP ... there’s that sound that has been bugging me. Yep, it happened exactly when the ECO light went out. Every time.

And of course the light and the sound disappeared when I put the gear limit at 8.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I ran a test tonight. I turned on the ECO light (display menu). Then just drove the truck gently around, the ECO light was lit.

I gave it a gentle throttle push ... WOOOMP ... there’s that sound that has been bugging me. Yep, it happened exactly when the ECO light went out. Every time.

And of course the light and the sound disappeared when I put the gear limit at 8.
Are you running the stock exhaust?

XDBrad

Reaction score
Stock exhaust here and can hear the “whomp” every time. Gear limiter to 8 every time I drive it just so I don’t have to hear and feel it.

GregHBNA is correct about the GMs being worse, my 15 GMC was awful.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
The device is a MUST if you own a Sierra or Silverado. You think its bad in the RAM, you have noooooooo idea what its like in the GM's....

Range Technology "AFM" disabler (GM)
Yeah i do. I have a 2011 Camaro that i disabled the AFM in. Your correct.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Trust me, if you get an aftermarket exhaust the sound of MDS kicking in/out is noticeable. I keep it cut off and have been happy ever since.

U

User_3336

I think you guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts determining whether the "ECO" light should be on or off. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread