5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cylinder deactivation? 5.7

U

User_3336

you really don't shift the truck with the +/- while you're driving (its a gear limiter, not a shifter)

You hit - first, then + to get the display to 8.

The truck shifts normally on its own (all the way up to 8th)

it just stops the MDS from kicking on.

I really don’t want to me shifting the truck when I drive it with the +/-, I wonder if I push the tow mode button it will deactivate the engine from using mds

U

User_3336

You mean you turned the "ECO" light on in settings, correct???

I turned it on in settings. I have less than 500 miles s it comes on a lot. I hated it in my SRT but it seems to work really well in the truck. Never noticed it but I do drive pretty mild.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you really don't shift the truck with the +/- while you're driving (its a gear limiter, not a shifter)

I'm sure your already aware, but for those that aren't - there is a setting so you can have the gear show up on the display without the use of the +/- buttons. I can tell when it's in MDS by the exhaust note and engine sound. Not sure if the wife would notice it or not though - it is pretty faint.

cjmst23

Reaction score
So, just to confirm... Does the regular 5.7 have MDS, or just the eTorque version?

Ramlax

Reaction score

Thank you got it

Ram19Va

Reaction score
After getting the Carven Competitor it was a must to turn off MDS, because when it kicks on and you go to accelerate it is "very" noticeable.

You know the reverberation sounds when you only roll down both back windows? Similar, but exhaust note when it activates.

billyraff

Reaction score
I have yet to notice any difference from 4 cyl to 8 and vice versa, I'm actually pretty amazed at how seamlessly it transitions. I was expecting thumps and more when i read this thread. Does the VVT kick in at 3,000 miles like on the challenger/charger?

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Both my 2014 and now 2019 MDS systems, I have never been able to tell it was an option. I have never sensed the change in engine operations speed, or shifting. Since these observations are mine , maybe the systems needs adjusted if your are noticing the MDS system.
I am on my 4th with it and never have noticed it, either in feel or sound...even with custom exhausts on my previous 3.

I am sure most know, but the ECO light is not an specific indicator of MDS being on.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to notice any difference from 4 cyl to 8 and vice versa, I'm actually pretty amazed at how seamlessly it transitions. I was expecting thumps and more when i read this thread. Does the VVT kick in at 3,000 miles like on the challenger/charger?
I don’t either. I see eco turn on. When I punch it, takes off really well without notice, like I like it.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on my 4th with it and never have noticed it, either in feel or sound...even with custom exhausts on my previous 3.

I am sure most know, but the ECO light is not an specific indicator of MDS being on.
I did read here that the ECO light on this years ram does represent when MDS is on. That they had asked someone abt Ram about it. I don’t know to believe it or not

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
I did read here that the ECO light on this years ram does represent when MDS is on. That they had asked someone abt Ram about it. I don’t know to believe it or not
I won't claim to know 100% about 19s, but for sure all past years the Eco light is just a visual indicator to help the driver know when you are driving in the most economical manner.

As far as "someone at Ram"... I asked my service department why the eco light wasn't there at all, and they told me not all trucks have it. I eventually found it in the radio menu of course.

At one time I read the specifics of when MDS kicks on and it isn't as aften as people think. It isn't kicking on just cause you coast up to a light going 30 mph.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
My first Ram and i can definitely tell when the mds kick's in. My son in law has a 08 with loud exhaust and it is horrible but i don't think he get's it. Sounds like it's farting out the exhaust.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
I am really glad the have found this forum! I have been hearing the “wooomp ... wooomp ... wooomp” sounds on my 1500, more so as the truck breaks in. Driving me nuts! Everything you folks are saying matches my experience.

It happens below 2000 rpm on slight throttle after decel, and cleans up above 2000 rpm. It does this even at 70 mph. I was guessing it could be cylinder deactivation or transmission programming ... either way I assumed it was a lack of refinement in programming.

And sure enough it also quits when I set the gear limit at 8. I have been watching mileage under the gear limit condition, I think it might actually be improved. It would be really nice to deactivate this “feature” so I don’t have to override it every time I put it in gear.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel a slight vibration every time MDS is active, through the steering wheel. I turn it off as described above. Just wish there was a permanent no cost user defeat.

Users who are viewing this thread