5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cylinder deactivation? 5.7

TA5thGen

Reaction score
5.7L I’m new to ram. Is there supposed to be cylinder deactivation at certain speeds and should you see an eco icon in the dash cluster or something similar?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5.7L I’m new to ram. Is there supposed to be cylinder deactivation at certain speeds and should you see an eco icon in the dash cluster or something similar?
There are a few threads on this to explain more.

Yes there is. And yes you should.

The 5.7 does have MDS and does deactivate cylinders.

It does have an eco icon. Some say they don't see it til after break in, some say they see it often, some say they rarely see it.

Some say you have to turn it on, others say it is always on.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There are afew threads on this to explain more.

Yes there is. And yes you should.

The 5.7 does have MDS and does deactivate cylinders.

It does have an eco icon. Some say they don't see it til after break in, some say thethey see it often, some say they rarely see it.

Some say you have to turn it on, others say it is always on.
^^^ This ^^^

My ECO icon was not turned on from the factory. It's easily done from the UConnect menu.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also needed to turn the eco on in uconnect. I rarely saw it on until I reached 1,300 miles. I did a 1200 mile trip right out of the chute. Now the eco lights up a lot (4,900 Miles) .

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Mine comes on quite a bit and I have less than 600 miles on it. But to be fair I’ve driven it like a grandpa so far, well mostly. :)

Mason1217

Reaction score
Use the search function for keywords, plenty of info on this already. Just FYI

Twoamen

Reaction score
Both my 2014 and now 2019 MDS systems, I have never been able to tell it was an option. I have never sensed the change in engine operations speed, or shifting. Since these observations are mine , maybe the systems needs adjusted if your are noticing the MDS system.

XDBrad

Reaction score
I absolutely HATE *MDS* and turn it off everytime I put my truck in drive using the +/- buttons on the steering wheel.

Right there with you. Why some ask? Mine has a noticeable transition coming out of MDS mode and makes a weird noise as the other 4 cylinders light off. For those who know aircraft it sounds like an APU with bad igniters and lights off late. My guess is that there is unburnt fuel in the exhaust manifold ignighting. Not a “bang” sound but more of a hollow “thump”. Happens every time it comes out of MDS.

When I take it in for the first oil change I’ll ask the service rep to take a look but until then, I’ll hit the gear limit switch and just do away with the issue.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I also needed to turn the eco on in uconnect. I rarely saw it on until I reached 1,300 miles. I did a 1200 mile trip right out of the chute. Now the eco lights up a lot (4,900 Miles) .
OK, I'm missing it. Please let me know where in the uconnect (12.1) I can find this option. Thx

Ramlax

Reaction score
I as well dislike this feature, I just put a flow master catbsck exhaust on and when it activates there is a terrible drone

U

User_3336

Could not have provided a better explanation myself!!! At slower speeds, say 40-45, it appears sluggish while in MDS (like you are truly driving a 4cyl in a truck), and the "hollow thump" is a very accurate desription of the sound. at highway speeds I some seem to notice it. I have just got into the habit of using the +/- to disable it.

The "AFM" in the GM trucks is noticeably worse (similar to MDS in ours). It is a pronounced "bang", and in some models it was causing excessive oil consumption.

Right there with you. Why some ask? Mine has a noticeable transition coming out of MDS mode and makes a weird noise as the other 4 cylinders light off. For those who know aircraft it sounds like an APU with bad igniters and lights off late. My guess is that there is unburnt fuel in the exhaust manifold ignighting. Not a “bang” sound but more of a hollow “thump”. Happens every time it comes out of MDS.

When I take it in for the first oil change I’ll ask the service rep to take a look but until then, I’ll hit the gear limit switch and just do away with the issue.

Ramlax

Reaction score
I really don’t want to me shifting the truck when I drive it with the +/-, I wonder if I push the tow mode button it will deactivate the engine from using mds

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I lug the truck around town in MDS at 40-something mph on purpose. With the factory exhaust, it only deepens the exhaust note. I do notice a low-frequency “burp” when it exits MDS, presumably as it reignites the additional 4 cylinders.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I turned it on in settings. I have less than 500 miles s it comes on a lot. I hated it in my SRT but it seems to work really well in the truck. Never noticed it but I do drive pretty mild.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score

Mine is exactly the same. So many people say they can't tell. My has some vibration when active and makes that sound you describe when the MDS kicks off.

Users who are viewing this thread