5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Discoverer AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both are great tires, I went with the XLT's over the Falkens this time simply to save a little weight. But have ran both of them in the LT variety in every type of on and offroad condition and they both performed as well as can be expected. Cant go wrong with either.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in Manassas. I just received my new wheels with the Discoverers in 275/60-20 (so 33", versus the stock 32").

As soon as I figure out whether it's okay to mount the wheels without bore spacers (which I think it is not) or get the bore spacers that TireRack should have sent, I'll have them on.

If you're close by and want to come by and go for a ride, so you can hear them, see them, etc., we can work that out.

Thanks for the offer Stuart!
I’m going to run my Goodyear’s a bit longer until they wear out.
Then I will probably go with Falken 275/60R20s as I’ve been given a great price by discount tire plus they will buy back my used tires for something like $50/ tire.

MetalDog

Reaction score
No idea on the Falkens but the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs are the best truck tire out for my money. Attractive sidewall, smooth, quiet, awesome in rain/ice/snow. I ran them on a Tundra TRD Pro and will put them on the Rebel shortly. I've had Duratracs twice now (gen 1 Raptor and Rebel) and its not a great tire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have them also. Agree on all points.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Stuart!
I’m going to run my Goodyear’s a bit longer until they wear out.
Then I will probably go with Falken 275/60R20s as I’ve been given a great price by discount tire plus they will buy back my used tires for something like $50/ tire.

I put them (the Coopers) on last night. Took them for about a 30 mile spin. They ride nice and are very quiet. I can barely hear them at 55-60 MPH. Can't hear them at all over the wind noise at 75. I'm totally satisfied with them, so far. Just have to see how they hold up mileage-wise. 65,000 mile warranty, but I have never, ever had any set of tires last near their warranted life... But, if they last 50K, I'll be happy.

If you do get the Falkens and want to meet up and compare, just let me know. I'm always down for that kind of thing. Especially to see how they compare for noise on the highway. Maybe I'll be swayed to switch to the Falkens next time.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put them (the Coopers) on last night. Took them for about a 30 mile spin. They ride nice and are very quiet. I can barely hear them at 55-60 MPH. Can't hear them at all over the wind noise at 75. I'm totally satisfied with them, so far. Just have to see how they hold up mileage-wise. 65,000 mile warranty, but I have never, ever had any set of tires last near their warranted life... But, if they last 50K, I'll be happy.

If you do get the Falkens and want to meet up and compare, just let me know. I'm always down for that kind of thing. Especially to see how they compare for noise on the highway. Maybe I'll be swayed to switch to the Falkens next time.

Sounds good. I’ll let ya know. Ashburn/Leesburg area

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Driven about 50+ miles on the Falkens now. They are quiet, except for in highway curves at 50+. Then I can definitely hear them more than the stock Goodyears/22s. Not loud, unbearable, or annoying, just noticeable going from one to the other.

Barqs

Reaction score
Got the Falken AT3Ws installed today. Kept the factory 275/55R20 size and I'm very pleased with the look. 60's would have looked a little better but not worth $200 more IMO. I'll be doing some highway runs next weekend (likely in the rain) to really feel them out.

Attachments

• IMG_4292.jpg
    IMG_4292.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 348

cparsonsdc

Reaction score
Sounds good. I’ll let ya know. Ashburn/Leesburg area
Did you end up making a decision on tires? I am also in NoVA and looking at Cooper A/T3 XLT vs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for my 2018 RAM 2500. Based on this thread I'm leaning toward the Falken.

cparsonsdc

Reaction score
Got the Falken AT3Ws installed today. Kept the factory 275/55R20 size and I'm very pleased with the look. 60's would have looked a little better but not worth $200 more IMO. I'll be doing some highway runs next weekend (likely in the rain) to really feel them out.
2 months in how are the Falken AT3Ws??

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you end up making a decision on tires? I am also in NoVA and looking at Cooper A/T3 XLT vs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for my 2018 RAM 2500. Based on this thread I'm leaning toward the Falken.

Hey bud. Yes I decided to run my Wrangler Adventures until they wear out, before replacing them. Lately I’ve added the BF Goodrich KO2s to this list as well, I had them on my last Ram and they were awesome. I’ll probably start looking in a couple more years. Also gonna bump up one size taller to 275/60R20s

cparsonsdc

Reaction score
Hey bud. Yes I decided to run my Wrangler Adventures until they wear out, before replacing them. Lately I’ve added the BF Goodrich KO2s to this list as well, I had them on my last Ram and they were awesome. I’ll probably start looking in a couple more years. Also gonna bump up one size taller to 275/60R20s
The Tire Shop in Leesburg has the Cooper AT3 XLT on sale for $267 each, I think I'm going to get them this week. 285/60R20

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
3000 miles on my new P rated Wildpeaks... Doing well. Even (if any) wear going on. Very pleased.

Almost 1000 miles on them myself now that I am going back and forth into the office. No issues here either. We're starting to dip into the high 20s and low 30s regularly at night now, and scheduled to possibly get our first snow(s) before end of the month. We'll see how they work soon enough!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost 1000 miles on them myself now that I am going back and forth into the office. No issues here either. We're starting to dip into the high 20s and low 30s regularly at night now, and scheduled to possibly get our first snow(s) before end of the month. We'll see how they work soon enough!
Nice! Let me know how they work for you in the snow. We won't see snow until we take a trip to the mountains in December

Barqs

Reaction score
2 months in how are the Falken AT3Ws??
Loving them so far, but to be honest I'm not putting many miles on my truck these days. They seem to be as good if not better than the Bridgestones in the wet, and don't generate all that much noise. As for side tread wear, that will take some time given I'm averaging less than 50 miles a week right now. I will say I'm running them at 38psi, just in case.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To follow up on post #11, I'll add this:

When the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W first debuted in the late winter of 2016, I was one of the first guys to try a set. I ran them for a few years in the 285/70 size on a F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. They were fantastic tires. Quiet, smooth, excellent traction, great looks, THICK sidewalls even in the 2-ply P-rated versions, and inexpensive to purchase. Just a great tire.

Fast forward to 2020. I've used almost every tire on the market at some point on my trucks and Jeeps. Name an A/T tire (or even a few M/T tires) and I've used it. To this day, the Falken A/T3W is still my favorite tire. It's just really great at all the key areas that are important. It surpasses every other tire I've used. Now that I've run everything there is to run on a 4x4, my plan is to go back to Falken exclusively for my trucks and Jeeps from now on.

Imakeaway

Reaction score
To follow up on post #11, I'll add this:

When the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W first debuted in the late winter of 2016, I was one of the first guys to try a set. I ran them for a few years in the 285/70 size on a F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. They were fantastic tires. Quiet, smooth, excellent traction, great looks, THICK sidewalls even in the 2-ply P-rated versions, and inexpensive to purchase. Just a great tire.

Fast forward to 2020. I've used almost every tire on the market at some point on my trucks and Jeeps. Name an A/T tire (or even a few M/T tires) and I've used it. To this day, the Falken A/T3W is still my favorite tire. It's just really great at all the key areas that are important. It surpasses every other tire I've used. Now that I've run everything there is to run on a 4x4, my plan is to go back to Falken exclusively for my trucks and Jeeps from now on.
Great feedback! I'm running the AT3W in 285/45/22, but have been thinking about exercising the 30-day test drive policy due to ride quality. The tires do seem to be settling and not picking up every single ripple where the blacktop was rolled, but I can't help wondering if the Coopers would be almost as good in rain / snow / dirt while providing better handling in the turns and a smoother ride.

Figuring out just how much performance / luxury you're willing to give up for a tire that can take you almost anywhere is quite the balancing act.

Users who are viewing this thread