5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Discoverer AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howdy all

So I created another thread asking for reviews of The Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure Kevlar, which I’ve had on my truck for a month now. They’ve been pretty consistent and reliable But I keep hearing not so good reviews on Goodyear’s lately.

Therefore, I am actively looking at these two tires: Cooper Discoverer AT3s or Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Ive heard great things about both. Curious to hear y’all’s opinions from those Who have run either tire brand.

Thanks!

edit: 2019 Big Horn 275/55R20 is my tire size

RyanZ

Reaction score
I have some brand new Falken AT3W 275/55/20 Im taking off my 2020 Ram tomorrow. I love wild peaks without a down amazing tires. Just wanted something bigger. Quiet tires and great grip and reliable with good life. If your near Louisiana they can be yours =)

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some brand new Falken AT3W 275/55/20 Im taking off my 2020 Ram tomorrow. I love wild peaks without a down amazing tires. Just wanted something bigger. Quiet tires and great grip and reliable with good life. If your near Louisiana they can be yours =)

Ryan, thanks! Unfortunately I’m nowhere near Louisiana (Northern VA outside Wash DC). Appreciate the intel and good luck finding better tires. Just curious what would you sell them for so I have a good idea on what slightly used tires are going for?

jtread4

Reaction score

Only asking since OP declined, but how much and what part of Louisiana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bump.

Sooo.. about that comparison between the two brands? Anyone here run Coopers who can provide an adequate comparison To the smooth Falkens?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
No idea on the Falkens but the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs are the best truck tire out for my money. Attractive sidewall, smooth, quiet, awesome in rain/ice/snow. I ran them on a Tundra TRD Pro and will put them on the Rebel shortly. I've had Duratracs twice now (gen 1 Raptor and Rebel) and its not a great tire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To try and not derail this thread into a huge tired thread, I'll limit my comments to just Falken and Cooper.

A couple years ago, we purchased the AT3 for my mother's Jeep. It was one of the few A/T tires at the time available for the larger Grand Cherokee rims. She liked them, did well in the snow, gravel, and light mud.

I did some pretty exhaustive A/T research before buying my tires. Lots of Toyota, Ford, and Jeep forums, as well as Ram ones.
My conclusion is, for snow areas, the Falkens are the second best A/T tire available, and are available in more sizes than the number one tire. I just purchased the Falkens for my truck today, as my number one tire was not available in the OEM size I wanted.

Thats just my conclusion/opinion for A/T tires in snow; not necessarily rocks, sand, or other situations. And all that said, there isn't a really wrong answer here; the Coopers are good tires too.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you guys, that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Both are hands down the best AT tire for the Rams. The Coopers have a better load rating than the Falkens, and are a bit lighter, but has less of sidewall edge sipiing for gripping. The Falkens are heavier, More sidewall bite, but less load rating. Both have the 3 peak mountain symbol. You can't go wrong with either.

In terms of the Coopers, I am talking about the AT3 4S. The AT3 XLT are not severe weather rated. The XLTs have deeper tread pattern, and per tire have <200lb more load capability over the AT3 4S. With that said, unless you are carrying super heavy loads, and are concerned about snow traction, the AT3 4S fit the bill better.

These are also my choices for my 2019 Limited when it is time to replace. I will probably go with whatever one I can get a better deal on at the time.

Last edited:

Barqs

Reaction score
I had Coopers on my '10 model DODGE Ram (had to get that in) and enjoyed them for the first 20k miles, then it was all slip and slide on wet roads. I'm used to slipping on acceleration with a pickup, but locking the brakes up coming to a stop was the last straw and they were pulled long before the tread wore out. I'm putting Falkens on my '19 Ram tomorrow after months of reading tire reviews and forum opinions. Hoping I've done my research this time and don't have a second helping of COOOOPPPPPEEERRRRRR slides!
in 20k miles.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howdy all

So I created another thread asking for reviews of The Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure Kevlar, which I’ve had on my truck for a month now. They’ve been pretty consistent and reliable But I keep hearing not so good reviews on Goodyear’s lately.

Therefore, I am actively looking at these two tires: Cooper Discoverer AT3s or Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Ive heard great things about both. Curious to hear y’all’s opinions from those Who have run either tire brand.

Thanks!

edit: 2019 Big Horn 275/55R20 is my tire size

I've run both and I'd take the Falken six days a week and twice on Sunday.

The Cooper, while made in the USA, is harder to balance, makes more noise, has less traction in foul weather, and isn't as attractive on the truck. Also they're usually more expensive.

broman66

Reaction score
I had the Coopers on my 2008 Ram and loved them. They did great in the New England snow and were not loud on the highway. I had 42k miles on them when I traded in the truck for my 2020 RAM and they still had at least another 10k miles left on them. They wear very well. That said, I don't do any heavy off road driving. The tire performed well on occasional dirt roads and mud, lots of water puddles and snow driving. I will consider them high on the list when the stock Bridgestones tire wear out. I'm not too impressed with the stocks. They aren't as aggressive as I like and I haven't had a chance to try them out in the snow.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So I’m starting to get a feel from the opinions here that the Falkens are slightly better...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If those are from an ORP then they are Falken Wildpeak AT3W/A tires and not the AT3W. The AT3W/A is more of an aggressive street tire than the A/T that the AT3W is:

Falken Wildpeak AT3W:

1596727012958.png

Falken Wildpeak AT3W/A that comes on the ORP:

1596727046293.png

My dad has a Limited with the ORP. He swapped his tires for the Wildpeak AT3W tires and is very happy with them.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So I’m starting to get a feel from the opinions here that the Falkens are slightly better...

I think they're awesome tires with a well deserved reputation, my only complaint looking at the specs sheet is that they are heavy. That's about it

Barqs

Reaction score
If those are from an ORP those are Falken Wildpeak AT3W/A tires and not the AT3W. The AT3W/A is more of an aggressive street tire than the A/T that the AT3W is:

Falken Wildpeak AT3W:

View attachment 64593

Falken Wildpeak AT3W/A that comes on the ORP:

View attachment 64594

My dad has a Limited with the ORP. He swapped his tires for the Wildpeak AT3W tires and is very happy with them.
I debated between the WA and the W for several weeks. Moving from the Bridgestones both are a more aggressive tread design, but the WA's would likely offer a smoother and quieter ride. But the downside to the WA is the softer compound which offers no mileage warranty from Falken, whereas the AT3W has a 55k mile warranty. That and I found the AT3W for about $20/tire less.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I debated between the WA and the W for several weeks. Moving from the Bridgestones both are a more aggressive tread design, but the WA's would likely offer a smoother and quieter ride. But the downside to the WA is the softer compound which offers no mileage warranty from Falken, whereas the AT3W has a 55k mile warranty. That and I found the AT3W for about $20/tire less.
As evidenced in this thread, you can find a few members selling their "A"s on here, and you'll also find a number of posts complimenting them. They're not "3-Peak" rated, but members have stated they do really well in snow. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that they've been the most-liked OEM tire. I've been very pleased with mine...and I've been a fan of BFG KO2s for years.

That said, I don't know that I'd pay more for the "A" variant. I've heard almost nothing bad about the AT3Ws.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Note: I'm seeing the same thing on price...the AT3W/A is higher. At Amazon, you'd pay $183 for the AT3W/A (44 lb, 113T) and $169 for the AT3W (49 lb, 117T).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ryan, thanks! Unfortunately I’m nowhere near Louisiana (Northern VA outside Wash DC). Appreciate the intel and good luck finding better tires. Just curious what would you sell them for so I have a good idea on what slightly used tires are going for?

I'm in Manassas. I just received my new wheels with the Discoverers in 275/60-20 (so 33", versus the stock 32").

As soon as I figure out whether it's okay to mount the wheels without bore spacers (which I think it is not) or get the bore spacers that TireRack should have sent, I'll have them on.

If you're close by and want to come by and go for a ride, so you can hear them, see them, etc., we can work that out.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As evidenced in this thread, you can find a few members selling their "A"s on here, and you'll also find a number of posts complimenting them. They're not "3-Peak" rated, but members have stated they do really well in snow. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that they've been the most-liked OEM tire. I've been very pleased with mine...and I've been a fan of BFG KO2s for years.

That said, I don't know that I'd pay more for the "A" variant. I've heard almost nothing bad about the AT3Ws.
I wouldn't pay more for the 'A' version either.

That being said they are better than getting some BFG Rugged Trails from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread