5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constitutional carry

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some schools have trap shooting teams if you want to count that. but they don't do a whole lot of training on the shotguns themselves. My stepson went to a few practices. As long as he knew how to hold the gun and shoot strsightz that's all the cared about. Not exactly sure why but he decided he didn't want to shoot trap anymorez even though he was decent.

Spritle

Reaction score
How long ago was that? Was never taught during my time in school in 80s and 90s, and I went to school in small town conservative Nebraska where guns are part of growing up.

They still do weapons training in JROTC

Up to the mid'ish 90's in the Greater Houston area. It was part of both Hunters Education and Law Enforcement curriculums. I should mention it was not a stand-alone course.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would it just be better to have "Raising a Kid training" in schools? That way a responsible parent could teach thier kid after graduating on becoming a parent. Oh yea, right.... don't want the government all up in everyone's business telling them how to raise a kid. Kind of the same with other aspects of life like.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting June 1st Florida allows non concealed weapon permit holders to conceal carry guns. No matter where you’re from. As long as you’re not a convicted felon or have an injunction against you, anyone can carry concealed.

Im curious to hear some input as I’m not sure how I feel. I’m definitely pro gun, but the argument to me is “what if we have a bunch of people that aren’t trained or have common sense?” My thinking is, “well, that’s on them to go over their head in that responsibility.”

To purchase a gun you still have to go through a 3-day waiting period and a background check. People are mislead to believe that wont happen anymore. What are your thoughts?

The NRA helped ram-rod the same law through in Kentucky several years ago. That's one reason I don't send the NRA a dime unless I have to anymore. I feel like the concealed carry class we formerly had to take was extremely beneficial. I grew up around guns and hunting my whole life. There were a lot of men and women in that class who hadn't. In the class we didn't just learn how to operate a gun, we also learned a lot about the proper time to use it and the liability involved. It made the people in the class much wiser, and that was the main benefit. By removing the requirement for the class I am afraid there will be a lot of people who have no business carrying a gun with one in their purse or pocket just because they so easily can now.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our local High School had a 50-foot 22 cal indoor rifle range up until the late 70's or early 80's. Many schools in our area had (20+ years ago) hunter safety courses with students shooting a shotgun at the end of the course. About ten years ago I tried to start a hunting and fishing club in the school and was told it wasn't allowed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I learned firearm safety in the back woods, but I did take hunters safety.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Basically because some people "feel" government mandated oversight and regulation is good, we should all have it rammed down our throats and like it.

"2 plus 2 equals five. May I have another regulation, please?"

Get used to that phrase. Practice it in multiple languages.

Av1

Reaction score
I grew up around firearms for a long as I can remember. My dad taught me about firearm safety, and he took it very seriously.

I remember getting my first 30-06 around 11 years old. Back in those days it was normal to grow up with firearms. In elementary school, I traded my single shot 12 gauge to the kid down the street for his minibike (with our parents' permission of course).

It would be nice if dads were more involved these days teaching their kids about firearm safety. It used to be a normal part of growing up.

FishingFool

Reaction score
This thread came up on my 2nd Amendment search so posting here.

Anyone seen this?

Wonder if that "Biker" took classes on "How to behave in Society"?

If they do find the guy, personally, I'd love to see him get 30 years and do the full 30, in Super Max Security.

I agree, as stated earlier & exemplified with Procreation statement,
being a threat, to any all, who would another Harm, is a Natural/God Given Ability/Right, simply because we Exist.

"Arms", whether Guns, Bows & Arrows or a simple Club, are the most effective Means,
by which a Citizenry can overthrow an oppressive Government. Having literally just done so,
the Founding Fathers wanted to ensure that Right, for succeeding generations.

If the Pill &/or Abortion were a Thing, back in those days, imagine they would've added that 'Right', too.

What? I can bonk this and not worry about it?
Oh, Yes, Please. We got to Keep/Protect this, forever.

Last edited:

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
AZ here, can walk in a gun store, say "i want that one" and walk out with it in less than 30-40 minutes. Anyone with an AZ ID can conceal or open carry. Doesn't bug me not one bit. I have my pistol on me all the time... work, grocery store, mall, cup holder while I'm driving, anywhere really; as long as its not a government building or has a "No Firearms" sign, your pretty much free to do as you please. I love it. I hope it never changes.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AZ here, can walk in a gun store, say "i want that one" and walk out with it in less than 30-40 minutes. Anyone with an AZ ID can conceal or open carry. Doesn't bug me not one bit. I have my pistol on me all the time... work, grocery store, mall, cup holder while I'm driving, anywhere really; as long as its not a government building or has a "No Firearms" sign, your pretty much free to do as you please. I love it. I hope it never changes.

I was out in Arizona recently and I was a bit surprised how many no firearms signs I saw, which carry the weight of law. Shocked it was like that for a state I heard was so gun friendly.

Indiana has the same constitution carry, though most have a lifetime permit. We have the same policies on purchases with no waiting periods. Since no gun signs do NOT carry the weight of law, they are few and far between. There are very few places you can't carry and any sign posted is merely a suggestion unless it's stated in the law you cannot carry there...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nice. The only problem is the gun free zones. You have to leave your firearm behind, but the criminals don’t. That usually doesn’t work out very well.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I was out in Arizona recently and I was a bit surprised how many no firearms signs I saw, which carry the weight of law. Shocked it was like that for a state I heard was so gun friendly.

Indiana has the same constitution carry, though most have a lifetime permit. We have the same policies on purchases with no waiting periods. Since no gun signs do NOT carry the weight of law, they are few and far between. There are very few places you can't carry and any sign posted is merely a suggestion unless it's stated in the law you cannot carry there...
If your anywhere "in the valley" yes there are a ton of them. Very liberal, anywhere away from Metro you dont see that much.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is ashame to think that teaching the laws of your state in your states civics class would not be allowed.
My jr high had a shooting class, covered gun laws, archery and we shot long bow, compound, cross and hand guns and rifles (although they were co2 power bb guns) one of the best classes i took in school. This was in the 80's in Ohio.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few years back, my daughter was in archery in public school. We've been trying to get it going at her current private school. Finally got the okay, the budget, and now i have to get certified as an instructor. Was hoping someone with more experience would be available, but...

Wish we could get a rifle club going as well.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
27 states have Constitutional carry and the sky hasn't fallen.

Some people wring their hands about a lack of training, accidental or intentional shootings do not occur due to a lack of training. Nearly all accidental shootings are due to a lapse in judgement that will never be fixed with training. This summer someone competing in a local 3 gun match shot himself in the leg with an AR. The guy was retired law enforcement and owned a firearm training company.

Also, if you travel with a firearm I've found the app CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State to be a great resource for quickly getting important info about a particular states laws. It costs a few bucks, but I've found it worth it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My jr high had a shooting class, covered gun laws, archery and we shot long bow, compound, cross and hand guns and rifles (although they were co2 power bb guns) one of the best classes i took in school. This was in the 80's in Ohio.
Yea, in the 80's right here in Northern VA (now known as libtard central) the first day of deer season was an excused holiday. The girls took off just because they could since hardly any guys were in school. It was common to see someone still in camo with a bloody knife on thier belt because there wasn't time to clean up and change before getting to school on time during the rest of season. Rifle right in the gun rack parked in the student parking....

How things have changed. Heck, we even had designated student smoking areas.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our smoking area was in Mr ridel's shop class. He was the welding teacher, he would hang out the "do not enter, welder in use" and turn on the exhaust system. I used to pick him up a pack of bare back camel every couple weeks. Best part was when my dad caught me with a pack of Marlboro and a pack of camels, the first thing he said was "I see that ridel still smokes camels"! I was 15. Then dad showed me the pack hidden in the fuse panel of his Bonneville. Told me to never leave less than 5! And an occasional cigar was payment enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online